IGNORED

Wells

Ivorguy

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

No celebration at all. He had two loan spells at QPR so clearly has a soft spot for them.

I don’t know how someone can score a 93rd minute winner (especially given his playing time this year) and not celebrate. I get why he might not want to, but footballs all about those moments!

I think unlocking Wells’ ability to score goals in a Bristol City shirt will likely be the difference between us finishing mid table and a proper play off challenge this season. If we can get him firing 10-15 goals this season I see no reason why we can’t exceed expectations this year in what I consider to be a much weaker league than last season.

Nige seems to suggest in the post match interview that Nahki needs to learn to  give 100% for the whole game or words to that effect.    

That was a really good goal today and he is so good in those situations.    It seems like Nige is playing a long game with him and let's hope it gets the best out of him.  Surely he's earned a place in first team now.

47 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I don’t know how someone can score a 93rd minute winner (especially given his playing time this year) and not celebrate. I get why he might not want to, but footballs all about those moments!

He didn’t celebrate and signalled with his hands to his teammates to calm down but he was laughing and was clearly elated. 

I thought he was excellent today even before the goal and the best I’ve seen him play for quite a while. His touch was fantastic and he brought the ball down so well on a number of occasions. Martin was poor again today so hopefully we can bring out the best in Wells alongside Weimann. 

59 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think there's an extent to which wild celebrations are slightly performative though. I don't mean that in a bad way but, to explain what I mean, I don't think most of us would celebrate a goal if we were watching at home on our own in the same way we do in a stadium. Maybe I am wrong and there are people who chuck flares around in their living room or whip their shirts off and start whirling round in the air but, if I watch a goal at home, I'll shout with joy and punch the air once. If I watch a goal in a stadium, I'll jump around, cheer for about 45 seconds, grin at everyone around me and so forth. That tells me that my reaction in a stadium cannot be a natural one. Of course you get carried away in the crowd but it has to also be partly a consequence of being observed and being in public. That's not to say I wouldn't feel the same sense of delight at a last minute winner if I watching on my own at home but I'd be happy for the delight to be a private feeling and not feel the need to act like I was delighted in the same way as I would in public...

I get it is different for players in that they are the ones doing it on the pitch but even then, I imagine there is still the moment of a natural reaction of joy and then that is followed by a conscious choice to show that joy in a particular way via a goal celebration - hence the fact that some players develop trademark celebrations and some teams choreograph particular things. And that's more about playing to the crowd rather than a natural reaction. Which is partly why it is absolutely lovely on those occasional moments when you see pure unbridled joy and an unselfconscious celebration from a player who clearly is just reacting to a moment. 

What I mean by all this is Wells was undoubtedly delighted and you could tell that looking at him. But I think a decision not to perform the showmanship of a goal celebration is not related to how a player feels...

57 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think there's an extent to which wild celebrations are slightly performative though. I don't mean that in a bad way but, to explain what I mean, I don't think most of us would celebrate a goal if we were watching at home on our own in the same way we do in a stadium. Maybe I am wrong and there are people who chuck flares around in their living room or whip their shirts off and start whirling round in the air but, if I watch a goal at home, I'll shout with joy and punch the air once. If I watch a goal in a stadium, I'll jump around, cheer for about 45 seconds, grin at everyone around me and so forth. That tells me that my reaction in a stadium cannot be a natural one. Of course you get carried away in the crowd but it has to also be partly a consequence of being observed and being in public. That's not to say I wouldn't feel the same sense of delight at a last minute winner if I watching on my own at home but I'd be happy for the delight to be a private feeling and not feel the need to act like I was delighted in the same way as I would in public...

I get it is different for players in that they are the ones doing it on the pitch but even then, I imagine there is still the moment of a natural reaction of joy and then that is followed by a conscious choice to show that joy in a particular way via a goal celebration - hence the fact that some players develop trademark celebrations and some teams choreograph particular things. And that's more about playing to the crowd rather than a natural reaction. Which is partly why it is absolutely lovely on those occasional moments when you see pure unbridled joy and an unselfconscious celebration from a player who clearly is just reacting to a moment. 

What I mean by all this is Wells was undoubtedly delighted and you could tell that looking at him. But I think a decision not to perform the showmanship of a goal celebration is not related to how a player feels...

I think its natural to celebrate more in a shared experience than in an individual experience, its like you start by punching the air but then realise everyone else is doing the same thing and your happy that everyone else has that experience but that's for fans.

Players have there own motivation be that a goal bonus or seeing fans happy or any one of many motivations but most of all they are professional, look at Smith scoring against Man U v any other goal he got.

I was really hoping he’d come on from half time onwards, mainly because I knew if he got a chance against his old team he’d be sure to take it.

He didn’t disappoint with his goal or his overall play, excellent.

I thought his touch had let him down for the goal, if the keeper had gone out at that second he might have stopped it, once he didn’t there was only one outcome 

Thought he took his goal very nicely.

Would like to see him get more game time certainly, not least as output notwithstanding, we know that Martin needs managing carefully. We know this from last season and with research, how he was managed at his prior club in 2019/20.

Rotate between Wells and Martin for that striker role perhaps, subject to form, fitness, opposition etc- these sorts of variables.

11 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Have you ever been driving when City have scored a vital goal ? I have and believe me, its not pretty.

Is it just me who is a tad cynical about NW suddenly putting in a good performance at QPR?

Maybe he felt more confident there due to his record of scoring for them and it was just a mental thing. I recall Dhiedou having a great game at Middlesbrough last season, with them being one of the teams rumoured to want to sign him. He immediately went back to being poor from there on. It looked like he was actually trying to make an impression in that one match.

Hope we don't see the same from Nahki but I wouldn't be that surprised 

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

No celebration at all. He had two loan spells at QPR so clearly has a soft spot for them.

Maybe he is fed up of the negativity on here and I bet he was thinking to himself deep own see what I can do. He is a prolific finisher if he was played in the correct position and most importantly ball service to him.

9 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Is it just me who is a tad cynical about NW suddenly putting in a good performance at QPR?

Maybe he felt more confident there due to his record of scoring for them and it was just a mental thing. I recall Dhiedou having a great game at Middlesbrough last season, with them being one of the teams rumoured to want to sign him. He immediately went back to being poor from there on. It looked like he was actually trying to make an impression in that one match.

Hope we don't see the same from Nahki but I wouldn't be that surprised 

Yeah looks like its just you.

In fact, in hindsight, he should have not even run for that chance. When the ball somehow found itself to him, he should have blazed the ball into our away end, ripped his City shirt off, whilst revealing a t-shirt with Stan Bowles and Les Ferdinand on.

God help us.

As a regular critic of Wells since he joined i am delighted to put my hand up and say he and Semenyo looked fantastic when they came on  yesterday and the finish from a superb Weimann pass was as good as any finish you could wish for from that distance.

I'm not going to go over his past performances in detail, not even the 50 mins he 'played' against Luton, so just want to say some players really play well in some games and it is for numerous reasons.

Pato hit a screamer at Luton yesterday that smashed the crossbar and then scored a worldie from the same sort of distance; one game doesnt make Pato a better player than we saw over several seasons, home and away

Wells yesterday deserves the primary credit but clearly NP on the touchline (where i was close to) was continually giving these two subs a lot of his thoughts. Well done Pearson, Wells and City

Archived