IGNORED

Jimmy Greaves

lenred

Jimmy Greaves has passed away. Obviously been ill for a while but very sad news nonetheless.  Well before my time playing wise but his figures are phenomenal and Saint and Greavsie on a Saturday lunchtime helped form my love of the game when I was very young. RIP Jimmy. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Jimmy Greaves has died aged 81. One of the greatest goalscorers in football and a real entertainer. Drove to Mexico as part of the Mexico Rally to watch the 1970 World Cup and be close to his great mate (and drinking buddy) Bobby Moore. 

One of the great players that played football. Not only club level but national level. A true legend and he will always go down in history as one of the best footballers in his era.

I will wish all the best to his family and supporters around the country with clubs Jimmy played for

If any of you that have BT Sport haven’t seen the ‘Greavsie’ documentary I’d highly recommend it.  I’m sure they’ll be showing it again over the next day or so and will hold even more poignancy now - it’s a superb documentary.  

https://www.bt.com/sport/football/features/greavsie-charts-the-rise-fall-and-rebirth-of-jimmy-greaves

1 minute ago, Stockwood gate said:

My father always said about Jimmy greaves he was interviewed and was asked did you ever miss a goal he replied I may have missed one in training once 

Just looked at the Spurs and Chelsea web sites and no mention of this sad passing.

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If Kane is worth £150m what would Greavsie, at his peak, be worth today? 

Possibly the best goalscorer in my lifetime. 

Left Chelsea for AC Milan then signed for Tottenham for £99,999 did not want to be the first £100k player.

On such a sad day fitting that Spurs play Chelsea .

A word often used, but rarely apposite.................. .'Legend'.........and Jimmy is most definitely a Legend, who will not be forgotten for his outstanding contribution to English football.  RIP Jimmy, your ability, career and personality will always be remembered by football fans throughout the world.    

Sad news indeed. 

Didn’t see him play live but I’ve seen him on TV & he was obviously a fantastic striker. 

As others have said, Saint & Greavsie is my era - they had great banter together before it was reproduced on Soccer Saturday with Jeff etc.

He’s my father in laws’ hero so he’ll be very sad today. 

Thoughts are with Greavsies’ family & friends today. RIP

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If Kane is worth £150m what would Greavsie, at his peak, be worth today? 

Possibly the best goalscorer in my lifetime. 

Definitely.

Chelsea 169 games 132 goals (100 by the time he was 20)

Moved to Milan but only played 12, scoring 9

Tottenham 381 games 266 goals

357 league goals in the top 5 divisions in Europe was a record for 49 years until beaten in 2017 by Ronaldo

44 goals in 57 England games

Retired from the professional game at 31 due to his alcohol issues.

Fantastic footballer who I had the pleasure of meeting on a few occasions.

RIP Jimmy, never forgotten.

Archived