IGNORED

Jimmy Greaves

lenred

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Definitely.

Chelsea 169 games 132 goals (100 by the time he was 20)

Moved to Milan but only played 12, scoring 9

Tottenham 381 games 266 goals

357 league goals in the top 5 divisions in Europe was a record for 49 years until beaten in 2017 by Ronaldo

44 goals in 57 England games

Retired from the professional game at 31 due to his alcohol issues.

Fantastic footballer who I had the pleasure of meeting on a few occasions.

RIP Jimmy, never forgotten.

382 goals in 579 games is absolutely crazy, and like you say retired at 31.

Brian Clough is only person I can think of who had a better ratio but that was lower leagues?  Both incredible losses to the game at 29/31 

Jimmy Greaves was in my mind the greatest English footballer of all time. I believe that the only reason he is not held in greater esteem is because he was injured and missed the 1966 World Cup Final. He was a gent off the field and I had the pleasure of meeting him in the mid 80’s when he did the end of season medal presentations for my sons local team. He also made a joke when presenting a medal to my son ‘Bobby Smith’ whose namesake of course  was Greaves striking partner at Spurs for many years. RIP Jimmy!

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Really classy goal scorer. Well before my time but outside of City players, he was my Dad's favourite, seen and heard much about him over the years.

RIP

Same here. My dad always talks of a game at WHL.  Probably the same one as slarti has mentioned. 

Rest In Peace Greavsie. 

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, I saw him at WH Lane in 67 destroy our cup dreams with a brace . rip

4 hours ago, lenred said:

Jimmy Greaves has passed away. Obviously been ill for a while but very sad news nonetheless.  Well before my time playing wise but his figures are phenomenal and Saint and Greavsie on a Saturday lunchtime helped form my love of the game when I was very young. RIP Jimmy. 

RIP Jimmy.

Part of my home pre-match ritual as a 18-21 year old.

Bookies at 11, scrambled eggs on toast, football focus, Saint and Greavesie, then wander down to the Imperial Ground for 3pm k/o.

Here to pay respects to what I view as a truly great goalscorer although not necessarily scorer of great goals.   Too young to remember him playing for any team but often used to watch The Saint and Greavsie show with Ian St John some 30 years + ago when he was featured.   Game seemed a lot more innocent back then and salaries and player signing prices were sensible.    Some years before Sky Sports / new Premier League got their hooks into everything and spoiled things with money and commercial madness.

I've had the pleasure to read both Saint and Greavsie book publications that came out in the end of the 1980s, the first really offers a great insight into Jimmy's thoughts, memories and achievements in his playing days, not to mention taking on a rally course while the 1970 World Cup was underway.    Real page turners, I felt enriched for reading when I did and learning things the ordinary fan could never know.      I think 'being in the right place at the right time' started with him.    Lineker did the same some 20 years after but it would be unfair to make comparisons. 

Had his problems when finished playing but think he went some 40 years without a beer until time of passing.   That takes real dedication.   Some will say he pissed his career away towards the end but there's so many other examples you can fit in there like George Best.   I just wish to remember him for a name that was an amazing goalscorer, perhaps England's best ever, and understand was an engaging man off the field who wouldn't turn down an autograph or take a moment to talk and share experience.    

Always felt bad we wasn't picked for the 1966 Final.   I don't remember the competition but know he was injured against France early in the tournament and when fit again Ramsey chose to overlook him.    I know that hurt him for some years after but when you look at his achievements and time elsewhere, he really did have a life well spent.       I remember Ian St John passed away a year or two ago, two sad losses, but would like to think they're together again somewhere reliving old moments and friendships.    RIP to Mr Greaves, I only wish I were a bit older to better appreciate your talents and rightfully to have earned a tag of goalscorer supreme.    I think you put a lot of today's names to shame for what is perceived ability and attacking merit.

Thanks. 

The Saint & Greavsie Show... High light of a footie weekend apart from watching City...  Blew away some of todays sterile pundits with a real 'laugh' at the game.  

My take on the 66 World Cup was that Sir Alf did not want to change a winning team.

Started against Uruguay  & France... played all  3 group games picked up a knock and Geoff Hurst came in... rest is history.  He still  got a medal.

The 66 World Cup has a lot to answer for. Got me hooked on this game, and then Bristol City.  Ggrrhhhhhhh.

I still think in my life time I 'might' see a England team winning  the World cup again..... 

Greaves was certainly a 60's footballer...

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Fewer men have ever been more natural goalscorers than Jimmy.

Even as a recovering alcoholic, in his late 30s, he still scored 27 goals in a season (from midfield!) when playing for Barnet.

That would not effected his ability to find the net even in his late 30s - Jimmy Greaves was an instinctive goalscorer. He always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. He was best I ever saw.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That would not effected his ability to find the net even in his late 30s - Jimmy Greaves was an instinctive goalscorer. He always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. He was best I ever saw.

Well alcohol did kill many football careers off. But Greavesie weathered it - although the 70s were "lost years" for him - and in the circumstances it is amazing he was still playing in 1979.

As to the rest of your post - I agree.

There's certainly a case to be made for Greaves as England's most intuitive goalscorer.  In fact, the Top Flight all-time record probably cements that.

Archived