IGNORED

People calling us “Bristol”.

WessexPest

Is it just my imagination or is this annoying trend getting worse? Doesn’t help that our own co-commentator did it persistently during the Luton game, of course, but all over social media from QPR fans - Bristol this, Bristol that, Bristol the other. Argh!!

Perhaps we should tell people that every time we are referred to as “Bristol” a tree is cut down in the rainforest or something…

1 minute ago, BS2 Red said:

I guess it's inevitable when there are no other competitive teams in this city.

Yes, it’s this.

Most people in football at the top two levels, & let’s face it, a few sides like Sunderland, Pompey & Ipswich apart, that’s all they’re interested in, are probably unaware now that there is another Bristol club.

The one that was non league relatively recently, hasn’t been at the second tier since the early 90s & plays in a stadium that resembles a Homebase acid trip.

In truth I’m far less bothered about it than I used to be & that’s why.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, it’s this.

Most people in football at the top two levels, & let’s face it, a few sides like Sunderland, Pompey & Ipswich apart, that’s all they’re interested in, are probably unaware now that there is another Bristol club.

The one that was non league relatively recently, hasn’t been at the second tier since the early 90s & plays in a stadium that resembles a Homebase acid trip.

In truth I’m far less bothered about it than I used to be & that’s why.

?????????

We are the only two club city which have a `rival` that fits these criteria:

a) are still in the league (just!)

b) plays at a much lower level than us (Sheffield & Manchester are at similar levels)

c) are named similarly (Nottingham Forest & Notts County have a huge gap but are named differently)

So it just shows how irrelevant the fewers are IMO.

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

We are the only two club city which have a `rival` that fits these criteria:

a) are still in the league (just!)

b) plays at a much lower level than us (Sheffield & Manchester are at similar levels)

c) are named similarly (Nottingham Forest & Notts County have a huge gap but are named differently)

So it just shows how irrelevant the fewers are IMO.

All true. I was thinking of Port Vale, but you covered that in c).

20 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Is it just my imagination or is this annoying trend getting worse? Doesn’t help that our own co-commentator did it persistently during the Luton game, of course, but all over social media from QPR fans - Bristol this, Bristol that, Bristol the other. Argh!!

Perhaps we should tell people that every time we are referred to as “Bristol” a tree is cut down in the rainforest or something…

This used to grind my gears. However, I now think it's a compliment: people recognise we are the only show in town, and don't feel the need to differentiate between us and the Gas.

2 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

Those of a certain age will remember we all sang BURRISSSTOLL with gusto in the 70s.

That’s a fair point and we still do from time to time, also Man U fans, “Manchester la la la”. We’re allowed to do that though, no-one else. ;)

41 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Having just played QPR, who do you think they are talking about, when they refer to "Bristol". .? 

Never really bothered me that much in commentary to be honest. It’s just short hand.I know the gas are increasingly irrelevant, and although there is only one team in Luton I do not expect them to say Luton Town every time. Bit like if they shorthand to ‘City on the ball’, if live coverage it’s hardly Man City.

It does irritate me outside that, ‘Bristol have signed…’ type stuff, or ‘up this week Bristol have Fulham’. There it is lazy, and would make me think first off of rugby in the first case.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I actually get more annoyed - not that annoyed, admittedly! - when people call Man City "City" on the apparent presumption no other "City" teams exist...

I expect fans of West Ham, Newcastle, Sheffield, Oxford, Rotherham, etc feel the same about Man U just being called "United".

1 hour ago, WessexPest said:

Do you get annoyed when people call us City as well? 

Archived