IGNORED

People calling us “Bristol”.

WessexPest

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Probably their second biggest outlay in history for a piece of Bristol Blue Glass behind paying a Tilson for a Centre Half once and Nicky Piggs ****** up the engraving.

I had to go find it just for fun and here she is in all her glory… remarkable. 

2B95CC56-4DB0-4756-9C4D-24836FFB1EE2.jpeg

1 hour ago, WessexPest said:

Is it just my imagination or is this annoying trend getting worse? Doesn’t help that our own co-commentator did it persistently during the Luton game, of course, but all over social media from QPR fans - Bristol this, Bristol that, Bristol the other. Argh!!

Perhaps we should tell people that every time we are referred to as “Bristol” a tree is cut down in the rainforest or something…

No it's not, get people by us doing the same. Turn up late go to get drink before half time and come back 15 mins after kick off. Bloody annoying. We think they are egg chasing fans. PNE game when they came back bloke on end behind us told them to f off and go and sit somewhere else. Well done him. They didn't look happy. Too much of it now. Also see more people bringing drinks up as well.

I do find it a bit annoying, especially if it's a pundit.

As others have pointed out, it's an even bigger insult to Rovers than it is to us. I've had conversations with northerners who are genuinely unaware that Bristol Rovers exist.

Unfortunately, I see it as being a bit disrespectful to both us and Rovers though. To me it sort of says "I don't respect Bristolian football enough to bother distinguishing between the teams".
Having said that, I think it's just incompetence/laziness more than anything - hence when I hear someone refer to playing "Bristol" or "Sheffield" I immediately think less of their footballing opinions.

We don't really help ourselves though. Away fans who turn up at AG see "BRISTOL" written across the Dolman, and our last CEO was still publicly referring to us as "Bristol" after being at the club for years!

It bothered me until it was put into reality a few years ago, when I flew into Chicago international.

I was stood in the usual ESTA queue and when I finally got to the front the very friendly agent asked where I was from, rather than the 'everyone lives in London', I replied 'Bristol' and he said he followed English football and we had Bristol City. Stupidly, I told him there was another professional-ish club in Bristol call Bristol rovers, but, yes, I'm a City supporter. His reply cleared up the 'Bristol' thing for me forever, 'Bristol rovers? Never heard of them'.

I liked him, good lad. ;)

OTIB

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I’m not bothered by it.
When it’s said it’s nearly always in context, for instance QPR fans saying it today are obviously talking about us. As is a commentator commentating on us.

There are plenty of things to get angry about following City, this isn’t one of them

Nor me, some if our players use it too.

It definitely seems to be a lot more common in women's football, especially when Bristol City were previously known as Bristol Academy (and during this time Rovers didn't have a women's team - but they have since reformed, albeit lower down the pyramid). However as I got into the women's team through the men's, I'll still refer to them as City when I can.

Perhaps of that, I may have relaxed my attitude a little whenever I hear anyone refer to City (men) as "Bristol" but I wish they would say "City" or "Bristol City".

Also, the club released bobble hats in 2019, one of which just said "Bristol".  But it matched the design of a bobble hat that the Bears also had released - although the rugby team are used to being referred to as "Bristol" anyway.

1500-0.jpg

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

We are the only two club city which have a `rival` that fits these criteria:

a) are still in the league (just!)

b) plays at a much lower level than us (Sheffield & Manchester are at similar levels)

c) are named similarly (Nottingham Forest & Notts County have a huge gap but are named differently)

So it just shows how irrelevant the fewers are IMO.

Never underestimate the Stoke City / Port Vale rivalry - I know that doesn’t satisfy point c) of your criteria - but it’s real ...

4 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Those of a certain age will remember we all sang BURRISSSTOLL with gusto in the 70s.

Yep but for me that was more about having pride in where you came from - in the same way back then we used to sing “If you’re proud to come from Bristol clap yer hands” - it seemed more about demonstrating pride in our locality rather than saying our team was called “Bristol” ...

I watch the Quest highlights most weeks and have noticed the co-commentators call us Bristol more often, but when it gets to the Gas they specifically call them Bristol Rovers.

I can only assume they forget about the Gas when we’re on, and then remember about us when the Gas are on.

OTIB.

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, it’s this.

Most people in football at the top two levels, & let’s face it, a few sides like Sunderland, Pompey & Ipswich apart, that’s all they’re interested in, are probably unaware now that there is another Bristol club.

The one that was non league relatively recently, hasn’t been at the second tier since the early 90s & plays in a stadium that resembles a Homebase acid trip.

In truth I’m far less bothered about it than I used to be & that’s why.

One thing I've noticed about living away from Bristol is everyone knows who we are. They may ask what league we play in if they don't follow below the Prem (it's still rare though, they usually at least guess championship)

Occasionally someone will say something like isn't there another team, or whose the team that play in blue. I just give them a confused look and tell them I don't know what they mean. There's only one team in Bristol

14 hours ago, Pezo said:

I always thought Bristol were the rugby team "did you see Bristol on Wednesday night?", "I don't follow the rugby, we're they away? I was watching the football." 

Correct. Before these silly names like 'Bears' they were Bristol RFC. We were and are Bristol City. Story end of. GET IT RIGHT COMMENTATORS or we will turn sound off ?

Archived