IGNORED

People calling us “Bristol”.

WessexPest

14 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

A lot of people in Devon and Cornwall get very irritated by us claiming we’re from the West Country 

That’s them though isn’t it-getting irritated about everything including having no tourists and then having too many tourists. Which way cream and jam goes on overly dry cake etc.

My understanding is the West Country includes Dorset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire as well as Bristol. 

I guess it’s a pretty fluid interpretation though depending on what suits?

14 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Every time this topic comes up on this forum I ask people to remember what OTIB stands for!

20 pages of moaning knee jerk reactions to any defeat?

Would be managers who know in an instance where NP is going wrong.

Financial experts who can tell SL a thing or two about finance

And Robbored

15 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I've had conversations with northerners who are genuinely unaware that Bristol Rovers exist.

Did you have these conversations with football fans? If so I’m genuinely surprised by this - I’m obviously not a fan of any other club in this country but I have heard of all the clubs in the four divisions and all the clubs in the national league tiers. Rovers are certainly not as famous and universally liked as they like to think but I’m sure proper football fans would know there are two clubs in Bristol ...

17 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I always liken it to people calling Bradford City, Bradford. Bradford Park Avenue are as irrelevant to everyone else in football as Bristol Rovers are. 

So Bristol is actually a positive. 

I agree. It implies that we are the only recognised football team in the city.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I can recall a fa cup draw, when rovers played derby i think.

They gave it out as bristol city, they went mental as you can imagine.

Would love to have been in a pub in kingswood to see that.

Most of them are full of City fans nowadays Louie.

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

Precisely

Bristol - West Country

Devon - South West

Cornwall - Northern France.

Horfield - Shit'ole

edited to how I see it! ?

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did you have these conversations with football fans? If so I’m genuinely surprised by this - I’m obviously not a fan of any other club in this country but I have heard of all the clubs in the four divisions and all the clubs in the national league tiers. Rovers are certainly not as famous and universally liked as they like to think but I’m sure proper football fans would know there are two clubs in Bristol ...

Yepp, they'd certainly claim to be football fans - 1  was even a season ticket holder at a northern football club! By no means am I saying it's the majority, but these people are out there. I agree it seems very surprising. 

In general, I think you'd be surprised by the level of football knowledge displayed by many "football fans". How often is there a thread on this forum about why we can't just spend £50m on players despite SL being a billionaire, for example?

It really doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

Bristol City

City

Nigel Pearson's Bristol City

Nigel Pearson's Red & White Army

Worzels

She-Teds

Brizzle

Brizzle 5h!tty

The 5h!tty

82ers

The Robins

The Reds

The Mighty Reds

The Red Army

Carrot-crunchers

or just plain Bristol........

We've been referred to by most of these names and as a supporter really don't care. I am simply not insulted or annoyed by any of these names - not even those (like She-Ted, 5h!tty or 82ers) that are supposed to be an insult. I just find those a bit pathetic really that they couldn't come up with something more witty or amusing..............

22 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Is it just my imagination or is this annoying trend getting worse? Doesn’t help that our own co-commentator did it persistently during the Luton game, of course, but all over social media from QPR fans - Bristol this, Bristol that, Bristol the other. Argh!!

Perhaps we should tell people that every time we are referred to as “Bristol” a tree is cut down in the rainforest or something…

I don’t mind it, for me it enforces that there is only one team in Bristol so they don’t need to define it!

43 minutes ago, chowie said:

And don’t seem to get this scenario any more.. when meeting others from outside of Bristol I always used to get asked City or Rovers / Red or Blue etc.

Nobody has said that to me in years, they just assume you’re a Bristol City fan now.

I once saw a cartoon entitled 'Bristolian Speed Dating', with a pic of a bloke asking a bemused woman '5h!t or gas?' 

I can't find it now but it made I larf

It used to bother me, but honestly; years up north (specifically years where the blue few were lower/non-league) have led me to believe it’s actually no bad thing.

As many have mentioned; we’ve recently (and might soon again…) be the only league side from our city, so I think it’s just people (rightly) not being aware we’re a two team city (emphasis on the ‘City’ part).

For me they gave up the right to call themselves Bristol when they moved to squat in Bath anyway.

OTIB

Archived