IGNORED

People calling us “Bristol”.

WessexPest

11 hours ago, brady bunch said:

You have all said it already, but I add to the ranks of those who it may have rankled with a bit in the past, but now I love it, as it is complete affirmation of the fact we are now the "only team in Bristol" worth considering.

Yeah I like it,  no problem, a couple of people in my office..(not huge on footy but not daft) said they hadn't even heard of Rovers, and had no idea there was two teams ...

******* boils my piss to be honest.

Anyone who thinks people call us ‘Bristol’ simply because the Gas are irrelevant, and that there is ‘only’ one ‘real’ team in Bristol, really need to get their heads out of their arse.

Simply put, people call us ‘Bristol’ because they are ignorant fucktards coupled with the fact that neither Bristol clubs have achieved anything of significance in their history to warrant being referred individually by their name. 

Spruce it up anyway you want if it makes you feel better. However, and ultimately, it’s the biggest insult a fan, commentator or pundit can make towards a city with two professional football clubs - regardless of how shit those two clubs are. 

Up the Manchester!

1 hour ago, The Hustler said:

Anyone who thinks people call us ‘Bristol’ simply because the Gas are irrelevant, and that there is ‘only’ one ‘real’ team in Bristol, really need to get their heads out of their arse.

Simply put, people call us ‘Bristol’ because they are ignorant fucktards coupled with the fact that neither Bristol clubs have achieved anything of significance in their history to warrant being referred individually by their name. 

Spruce it up anyway you want if it makes you feel better. However, and ultimately, it’s the biggest insult a fan, commentator or pundit can make towards a city with two professional football clubs - regardless of how shit those two clubs are. 

Up the Manchester!

Wow

I’m clearly a bit liberal here - which is probably why I’ve not been in many fights in my life - but there are far bigger things to get insulted about in life than someone leaving your teams name extension off. 
Do you lose it if someone calls you by your first name but omits your surname ? 
NO- don’t answer that - I’m already scared …..

2 hours ago, The Hustler said:

Up the Manchester!

Thing is you shouldn't worry about it Hustler. why would you care what some half wit thinks or knows about us?

I can't be doing with any sky manu fan or any of the like, their view on football to me ain't worth a ****.

As for the media i don't think we are called Bristol when reports of the game come in.

But who ****** cares, when the winner went in at QPR if the reporter said a late win for Bristol would you have stopped dancing around to complain?

11 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Yepp, they'd certainly claim to be football fans - 1  was even a season ticket holder at a northern football club! 

So, these northern football fans don’t know there are two football clubs in Bristol  - I still find this hard to believe - as I said on a previous post, the roverzzz are not as famous and liked as they think they are, but any proper football fan would ‘have heard’ of Bristol Rovers ... yet your post said you’d had conversations with people up north who had never heard of Bristol Rovers ...

On 19/09/2021 at 18:04, LondonBristolian said:

I actually get more annoyed - not that annoyed, admittedly! - when people call Man City "City" on the apparent presumption no other "City" teams exist...

It's one of those where it's fine during a game, say Man City vs Newcastle. But I'm pretty sure I heard it in a Man City vs Stoke or Swansea before!

But outside of during a game it's a bit annoying if they say it assuming everyone means Man City, but then with context it's ok.

On 19/09/2021 at 21:43, The Horse With No Name said:

Did anyone else pick up on the commentator on RB yesterday say QPR are playing in blue and white quarters, and about ten minutes later it was stripes . Both wrong.

Yes I posted about that on the match day thread, I think it was Chris Honor and not RH who said it.

If people are just talking about a single match, for instance commentators or pundits, I don’t see what’s wrong with calling us Bristol.  If we were playing Leicester City, for instance, would it be so wrong to refer to the teams as ‘Bristol’ and ‘Leicester’?  Even if we weren’t playing another ‘City’, I don’t see it as a problem in this context. 

18 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

Who are this ‘Rovers’ people are talking about.

Forest Green, they play in Nailsworth. They are moving up the leagues and if they continue their momentum, they might be coming for us.

I think it's a good thing, it's been decades since we had a local rival. 

49 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

If people are just talking about a single match, for instance commentators or pundits, I don’t see what’s wrong with calling us Bristol.  If we were playing Leicester City, for instance, would it be so wrong to refer to the teams as ‘Bristol’ and ‘Leicester’?  Even if we weren’t playing another ‘City’, I don’t see it as a problem in this context. 

Fair points, but if we were playing against Man Utd I bet the commentators would refer to us as Bristol and them as Utd. Similarly, if we were playing Sheff Wed or Sheff Utd I bet they wouldn’t just call either of them Sheffield. 

Having lived away from Bristol for so long, most of my conversations around footy are with fans of various clubs (Liverpool, Man Utd, Leeds Utd, Hull City, Burnley, Blackburn Rovers, to name a few...). I find there really is a sliding scale of knowledge, from those who have no regard whatsoever for any clubs outside of the Champions League spots to those who have in-depth insights into the Championship and below.

With the former, you'll get "How did Bristol do at the weekend?" (which does annoy me a little, as it just displays their ignorance of anything below the Prem) and I usually jokingly reply with "Which one? City or Bears?". They also tend to use simply "City" and "United" to refer to the Manchester teams.

With the latter, they might still refer to us as "Bristol" but will also often use "City" as well, as they know I use that term.

At the end of the day, non West Country football fans will continue calling us "Bristol" long into the future, so we'd better get used to it!

Archived