IGNORED

U23 v Posh

Malago

1 hour ago, Rossi the Robin said:

We could have won this 5-4 easily 

Or lost 8-6.

For me, only Benarous looked capable of pushing for a place in the first team squad. Janneh ran around a bit and got into a lot of good positions but couldn’t finish. A poor version of Semenyo. As for Palmer! He should be prosecuted under the fraud act of 2006 as he must be guilty of fraud by false representation - ie he takes money and claims to be a professional footballer, which he obviously isn’t. 

Although the result was poor it was a good match to watch as it was a nice sunny day, plenty of legroom, 5 goals and plenty of missed chances. As Brucey used to say “ good game, good game!”

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Or lost 8-6.

For me, only Benarous looked capable of pushing for a place in the first team squad. Janneh ran around a bit and got into a lot of good positions but couldn’t finish. A poor version of Semenyo. As for Palmer! He should be prosecuted under the fraud act of 2006 as he must be guilty of fraud by false representation - ie he takes money and claims to be a professional footballer, which he obviously isn’t. 

Although the result was poor it was a good match to watch as it was a nice sunny day, plenty of legroom, 5 goals and plenty of missed chances. As Brucey used to say “ good game, good game!”

Agree with all this, very well put. It also struck me after watching all the u23 games at the gate this season how much towler was missed!

Benarous looked superb & glides past people for fun. Tired in last 15 but was head and shoulders above anyone else.  Pearson & Bell look miles off first team and as others have said, Janneh could have had 4 but was a constant threat.

Kasey having asked to play for match fitness which is commendable, why saunter around like you were doing everyone a favour by just being on the pitch.  Always banged the drum about him being our most talented player and being in our starting 11 but running out of patience with him.  Wastes so many opportunities to keep the shirt and talent will only get you so far.  I don’t think ever his work rate can be questioned (others will disagree) but what is appalling, is his the decision making of when to play & when not to and his pass selection.   He certainly did himself no favours today.

34 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Or lost 8-6.

Palmer was really good in the previous game he played in, City with 10-men, came from a goal down to win 6-2.

15 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Benarous looked superb & glides past people for fun. Tired in last 15 but was head and shoulders above anyone else.  Pearson & Bell look miles off first team and as others have said, Janneh could have had 4 but was a constant threat.

Kasey having asked to play for match fitness which is commendable, why saunter around like you were doing everyone a favour by just being on the pitch.  Always banged the drum about him being our most talented player and being in our starting 11 but running out of patience with him.  Wastes so many opportunities to keep the shirt and talent will only get you so far.  I don’t think ever his work rate can be questioned (others will disagree) but what is appalling, is his the decision making of when to play & when not to and his pass selection.   He certainly did himself no favours today.

Benarous is really skilful, but I still worry his first instinct is to dribble, and despite him gliding past players, he ran into lots of trouble too, wasted passes off of the dribble too because he was on the stretch a lot.  He’s exciting to watch, but he has lots to learn about the “man’s game”.  Still very young, and if he can learn that, he will go far.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

only been watching for 15 mins, but Palmer looks as though he is not breaking sweat, surely he should be looking to run the show in a match like this...

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Palmer must be seriously out of favour with Nige now and not exactly doing much to get back into his thoughts.

I'm not Nahki's biggest fan but he's working hard now and seems to have improved his attitude. 

Watch and learn Kasey. 

When is Palmers contract up? One of the most frustrating players we've had on the books for a long time. Has all the talent, but can't/won't do enough to warrant a prolonged spot in the first team.

In some respects he's a poor man's JET. When he's on it, he's great to watch, but if he's having a bad game you may as well be playing with 9 or 10 men. At least with JET you knew he could pop up with something at any time and it would be brilliant.

If someone shows an interest in him in January, he'll be off, even if we have to stump up a bit to get him off the books. Thing is for him, I'd be surprised if it was anybody at this level that would want him.

7 minutes ago, Taz said:

When is Palmers contract up? One of the most frustrating players we've had on the books for a long time. Has all the talent, but can't/won't do enough to warrant a prolonged spot in the first team.

In some respects he's a poor man's JET. When he's on it, he's great to watch, but if he's having a bad game you may as well be playing with 9 or 10 men. At least with JET you knew he could pop up with something at any time and it would be brilliant.

If someone shows an interest in him in January, he'll be off, even if we have to stump up a bit to get him off the books. Thing is for him, I'd be surprised if it was anybody at this level that would want him.

I know what you’re getting at but think that’s very unfair on JET and very complimentary to Palmer! 

Luckily for us I think there would still be a few teams in this league who would take him, if nothing else his name still raises eyebrows. Let’s just hope they haven’t been watching him the last few years ?

@Davefevsno good Palmer being good against an awful Hull side last game & dreadful today after asking explicitly to play..I was a huge fan but patience gone & not because of an u23 game. Those two games and first team games show that talent alone isn’t enough. What has puzzled me is that afte 1 game for Jamaica he’s not been picked since. Not every manager can be wrong about him by not trusting him!!! 

I remember LJ saying about Palmer, that he needed to find a way to get himself in contention. Something along the line of no more trips back to the mothership to reset, highlighting his loan spells from Chelsea.

He essentially needed to up his game in an environment where things are against him with no easy way out.

That's one thing that can separate a player from one who's good at football and one who's a dedicated pro. Attitude and desire will get you further.

He's a lovely player on his day and has the all the ability he needs to be a success at this level. He really needs to own the shirt though and stop drifting in and out of starting 11s and match day squads altogether.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Anyone who would want him couldn't afford him, and anyone who could afford him wouldn't want him.

Hopefully there's an exception and someone comes in for Palmer, but I could see him being a player that we really struggle to shift.

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

@Davefevsno good Palmer being good against an awful Hull side last game & dreadful today after asking explicitly to play..I was a huge fan but patience gone & not because of an u23 game. Those two games and first team games show that talent alone isn’t enough. What has puzzled me is that afte 1 game for Jamaica he’s not been picked since. Not every manager can be wrong about him by not trusting him!!! 

Just giving balance to the original poster who called him a fraud.  Only had it on in the background today.

Did he ask to play today?  Not seen any news today.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just giving balance to the original poster who called him a fraud.  Only had it on in the background today.

Did he ask to play today?  Not seen any news today.

I was told by a good source who you know from OD that he asked to play.  He’s not a fraud for sure as shown he can be a top player but running out of chances.  Hope I’m wrong and NP gets him going again for our sake as no question over ability

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

We had 2 u18’s, Kadji and Knight-Lebel, Gyamfi is 19 as well 

They have two players called Gyamfi? OK, must be more common than I would have thought. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gyamfi-kyeremeh/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/335856/verein/1078

Also, how old is James Taylor?

4 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I was told by a good source who you know from OD that he asked to play.  He’s not a fraud for sure as shown he can be a top player but running out of chances.  Hope I’m wrong and NP gets him going again for our sake as no question over ability

If a player asks to play,  assuming he wants to get match fit, you would think he would make an effort. Doing the odd fancy trick, which usually didn’t work, and the occasional short run is a waste of time.  I called him a fraud because he takes tens of thousands of pounds from the club each month and delivers diddly squat in return. I wonder what the average wage of the other players was today. Undoubtedly a lot less than Palmer. 

32 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Ta Shuffs.

15 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If a player asks to play,  assuming he wants to get match fit, you would think he would make an effort. Doing the odd fancy trick, which usually didn’t work, and the occasional short run is a waste of time.  I called him a fraud because he takes tens of thousands of pounds from the club each month and delivers diddly squat in return. I wonder what the average wage of the other players was today. Undoubtedly a lot less than Palmer. 

I can’t comment much on today’s performance because I only had it on in the background.  General view is he wasn’t very good….that’s fair enough.

But I don’t get the “fraud” comment.  Someone agreed to pay his fee and wage, Nige has decided not to pick him.  Who knows what his motivation was to play today.  If you take a cynical view it might’ve been to get out of 1st team training.  On the flip side, he might genuinely have wanted to get some minutes.

I think his wage is irrelevant to today.

His performance is relevant though.  It won’t help him get back into the team judging by comments on here.

32 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Understand what you’re saying and posted that talent isn’t enough and he was poor today and is totally inconsistent. Being a fraud and not being value for money are two different things.  Aside from today,I’ve never questioned his desire and work rate even when things weren’t coming off for him.  For the fee and salary paid he certainly hasn’t proved value for money but that’s not Palmers fault, as that’s down to LJ and Ashton. 

5 hours ago, Shuffle said:

He’s getting paid a handsome wage as a spectator- last seasons releases have not fazed him at all! Are clubs still able to fine players that don’t produce the goods?

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Palmer was really good in the previous game he played in, City with 10-men, came from a goal down to win 6-2.

Benarous is really skilful, but I still worry his first instinct is to dribble, and despite him gliding past players, he ran into lots of trouble too, wasted passes off of the dribble too because he was on the stretch a lot.  He’s exciting to watch, but he has lots to learn about the “man’s game”.  Still very young, and if he can learn that, he will go far.

I know what your saying Dave about trying to go past players when you can take them out with a pass, but god forbid we have a player that is willing to take someone on. exciting to watch, gets fans off their seats.

When you look at Grealish  he has mastered the art.

Just hope there is still room in the game for this type of player, but as you say has a lot to learn.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I was going to make a similar point about Benarous, he looked the most tired player on the pitch at the end, he needs to learn when to let the ball do the work more and save those dribbles for the right point. Some of his passes today were ridiculously good, I just think he could do with using them more.

Archived