IGNORED

Wycombe Wanderers to launch possible legal action,but what will it achieve?

Never to the dark side

It’s unfortunate that the EFL didn’t take the appropriate action against Derby at the end of last season. They themselves admitted that the fixture at the start of the season was interchangeable! However Derby continued to to stall to their accounts submission and once again the EFL failed to lay down any punishment. I agree money has a lot to do with this but action should have been taken against Derby prior to this. I have a great deal of sympathy for Wycombe and feel they do have a case for some sort of compensation 

4 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

It’s unfortunate that the EFL didn’t take the appropriate action against Derby at the end of last season. They themselves admitted that the fixture at the start of the season was interchangeable! However Derby continued to to stall to their accounts submission and once again the EFL failed to lay down any punishment. I agree money has a lot to do with this but action should have been taken against Derby prior to this. I have a great deal of sympathy for Wycombe and feel they do have a case for some sort of compensation 

Wycombe do deserve compensation. However; it needs to be Derby who pay it, not the EFL (ie all the other clubs).

18 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

To be fair to the efl, they wanted too but Derby took them to court

What else could they do?

Reading through BBC article administration would not be the end of derby's punishment

9 with 3 suspended we know about

12 for administration we know about

But in the article on the BBC there is talk of another 15 points being deducted and it may not even end there.

2 hours ago, hertsexile said:

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Wycombe do deserve compensation. However; it needs to be Derby who pay it, not the EFL (ie all the other clubs).

The issue will be to what extent did Derby covered up their situation and were there any laws/rules broken. The corporate veil is notoriously hard to breach, but administration drives a double decker bus through that. Lots of people could noe have lots of law suits against lots of entities and people. EFL have a problem if they can’t reasonably show they followed their procedures and policies correctly. However the fact DCFC went belly up so quickly after the season started is a problem for both. AND ITS ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY!

2 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Will Wycombe really get anything out of this considering they shouldn’t of been in the championship in the first place.

Irrelevant to the issue I would contend. 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

To be fair to the efl, they wanted too but Derby took them to court

What else could they do?

Always an issue. But sometimes things can only be sorted by a judge. That’s why we have them. 

Derby is the basket case to end all Basket cases. I feel for the fans, but not the owners and board of the ground and the club. Supporters are odd by nature. So many thinking that all this is somehow personal to them and want to man the barricades with the very idiots that put them there. 

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

You can't transfer the team from the 1st division to the Championship

You can't award them some "extra points"

more games to be televised?

So the only thing is money,so that means the legal teams on both sides will gain and football willl lose out.

I mean when you consider the solidarity payment in 18/19 was £4.6m for championship clubs and only £700,000 for league one and the TV revenue as well they missed out on a lot of money and given covid has impacted every club financially just imagine what that money would do for a club like Wycombe.

15 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If Wycombe were to gain some compensation what would Rotherham's reaction be? 

Exactly what I was thinking after Rotherham have been one of the clubs that run a really tight ship due to financial fair play , that coupled with the fact Wycombe weren’t even in the play offs when they got promoted and were in free fall at the time 

surely if Wycombe get compensated then Rotherham are just as deserving.

Both Rotherham and Wycombe would be highly deserving no doubt, but Wycombe would have the better claim by dint of being the closest team to survival- that said had Rotherham held on a few more minutes, had Pack not got what is for him a rare thing indeed- a goal- then this could be academic as Derby would have dropped in any case.

That said, I doubt Wycombe have much of a case really.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Both Rotherham and Wycombe would be highly deserving no doubt, but Wycombe would have the better claim by dint of being the closest team to survival- that said had Rotherham held on a few more minutes, had Pack not got what is for him a rare thing indeed- a goal- then this could be academic as Derby would have dropped in any case.

That said, I doubt Wycombe have much of a case really.

I noticed you were mentioned on their forum. 

12 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Wycombe should count themselves lucky, shouldn’t they have been on the receiving end of some legal action at the hands of the blue few a number of years back?

(can someone remind me of the pathetic reason why?)

I can't remember exactly, but it was something to do with Wycombe playing a player that was unregistered or suspended? I think that happened in the season before the 15ers got relegated to the Conference.

I think the 15ers tried to say Wycombe should be docked points instead of getting a fine. Which was just bloody silly.

5 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I can't remember exactly, but it was something to do with Wycombe playing a player that was unregistered or suspended? I think that happened in the season before the 15ers got relegated to the Conference.

I think the 15ers tried to say Wycombe should be docked points instead of getting a fine. Which was just bloody silly.

In my head it was something to do with a match abandoned die to lightning, but I could’ve made that up. 

6 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Ahhh no, you’re absolutely right. Wonder where I got the lightning thing from?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/27602961.amp

9 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

But they'd gained enough points early on in the season to gain a play off spot when worked out by PPG so just as deserving as the other 3 teams that made it in. Actually more so as Wycombe had the highest PPG.

The way of working it out is ridiculous though , imagine how angry everyone here would be if city were 6th when a season was ended but the efl gave our place to a team lower down .

14 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The issue will be to what extent did Derby covered up their situation and were there any laws/rules broken. The corporate veil is notoriously hard to breach, but administration drives a double decker bus through that. Lots of people could noe have lots of law suits against lots of entities and people. EFL have a problem if they can’t reasonably show they followed their procedures and policies correctly. However the fact DCFC went belly up so quickly after the season started is a problem for both. AND ITS ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY!

Irrelevant to the issue I would contend. 

Always an issue. But sometimes things can only be sorted by a judge. That’s why we have them. 

Derby is the basket case to end all Basket cases. I feel for the fans, but not the owners and board of the ground and the club. Supporters are odd by nature. So many thinking that all this is somehow personal to them and want to man the barricades with the very idiots that put them there. 

Yep things can be sorted by a judge that is correct, unfortunately the judge wasn't available prior to the start of the new season

What should the efl done? Delay the season

44 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yep things can be sorted by a judge that is correct, unfortunately the judge wasn't available prior to the start of the new season

What should the efl done? Delay the season

Of course not. If Derby had broken the rules and the punishment was just and within the rules it’s obvious what should have happened and let the judge sort it out after. Derby broke the rules  and kept braking them and now look at them what a shitfest while Wycombe suffer the consequences of conducting themselves in an ethical manner  

These issue always seem to go against the likes of Swindon Bournemouth before they were fashionable Luton Wycombe. Never a Derby or any other name.

The board of Derby have taken gaminess with the rules to a new level. The EFL (including and particularly it’s commission/s) have a lot to answer for over an extended period in this case. 

The EFL were at fault for not taking action when it was needed, how the decision was arrived at has to be looked into by a commission! A commission for a commission that kept exonerating this skullduggery 

What were Derby going to do if they get relegated throw more money away they don’t have to fight it

However Derby are now getting the book thrown at them way past time. No commission this time everything will be in the public domain  

They are now an almost valueless entity over 50m in debt and no ground. Just supporters who in the main have had their money spent on paying the players staff and rent. It must be difficult for their fans. But not all of them are in denial. Just read the threads. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dcfc.co.uk/amp/news/2021/07/efl-statement-derby-county-sanction-written-reasons

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

The way of working it out is ridiculous though , imagine how angry everyone here would be if city were 6th when a season was ended but the efl gave our place to a team lower down .

I agree we would probably feel a bit annoyed but it's not Wycombe's fault that the league was decided in the method it was. So bit unfair to say Wycombe shouldn't have been there. 

19 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

You can't transfer the team from the 1st division to the Championship

You can't award them some "extra points"

more games to be televised?

So the only thing is money,so that means the legal teams on both sides will gain and football willl lose out.

I think Wycombe are absolutely right to, the EFL need a slap for letting Derby take the piss for not just a few weeks literally year on year on year.  

Archived