IGNORED

London fashion update

The dastardly red

I have a friend who lives in Shoreditch, East London. He gives me info on latest men's trends which will inevitably filter down to the highstreets of smaller cities like Bristol. Here's the latest ins and outs...

Ins 

Massively baggy jeans. I've highlighted this before and we're already seeing them worn in places like Stokes Croft.

Combat trousers, like we used to see in the late nineties.

Statement/slogan bandanas. So a bandana with a single word on the part that covers the forehead. 

Vests. These are hugely on point at the moment and my friend predicts that even in the coming winter months we'll see fashion conscious men wearing vests without another layer/jacket.

A smooth shave. Sorry all you beardies out there, your time is up. 

Big trainers with huge tongues.

Outs

Beards, as mentioned above. Apparently they're now considered to be way too common and are being laughed at in Shoreditch.

Tassled shoes with no socks.

Skinny jeans. My friend says they've been dying for years but now that they're heavily stocked everywhere from Peacocks to Sainsburys they've become particularly embarrassing.

Tattoos. Bit of a tricky one this as they're notoriously long term so it's a hard pill to swallow for our inked friends who also care about being up to date fashionwise. According to my friend, tattoos are a victim of their own success and are considered way too mainstream now.

Edited by The dastardly red
  • Like 2

I remember wearing baggy jeans in the 70's when I was still of an age (u21) to be a 'dedicated follower of fashion'. Never again.

Anyone over about that age who follows the latest trends, whether it be clothes, hairstyles, or whatever, is a bit odd imo.

I perfected my own 'look' about 40 years ago and it hasn't really changed - as I get no negative comments (at least in earshot) about my choice of attire I assume it is positively appreciated by all onlookers. Possibly admired even, but whether it's then widely imitated to make me an unwitting trend setter myself is hard to know.

The trend for beards, pushed on every TV advert for years, has ben very weird imo, glad if it's on the way out.

How did Shoreditch become such a notable leader in the fashion stakes?

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I remember wearing baggy jeans in the 70's when I was still of an age (u21) to be a 'dedicated follower of fashion'. Never again.

Anyone over about that age who follows the latest trends, whether it be clothes, hairstyles, or whatever, is a bit odd imo.

I perfected my own 'look' about 40 years ago and it hasn't really changed - as I get no negative comments (at least in earshot) about my choice of attire I assume it is positively appreciated by all onlookers. Possibly admired even, but whether it's then widely imitated to make me an unwitting trend setter myself is hard to know.

The trend for beards, pushed on every TV advert for years, has ben very weird imo, glad if it's on the way out.

How did Shoreditch become such a notable leader in the fashion stakes?

Shoreditch is a hotbed for the latest trends. Hackney, Hoxton Square, Shoreditch are where most trends start off these days. It's where beards first became a thing and now they're everywhere.

So what's your look Nogbag? Sounds like you've got it down.

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

I have a beard and I dont intend to shave it for anyone elses approval, sod the haters. 

I think you should have your own style and stick to it personally.

Well I wouldn't go to Shoreditch if I were you, unless you like being laughed at. Not that I agree with it but apparently the trend setters really have it in for beards now. My friend who lives there said he had to shave his beard off after too much unwanted attention. The last straw was when he was refused service at an independent cafe on account of his beard.

Personally I think that men should be able to wear whatever they like, within reason of course.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

Well I wouldn't go to Shoreditch if I were you, unless you like being laughed at. Not that I agree with it but apparently the trend setters really have it in for beards now. My friend who lives there said he had to shave his beard off after too much unwanted attention. The last straw was when he was refused service at an independent cafe on account of his beard.

Personally I think that men should be able to wear whatever they like, within reason of course.

Well I wouldn't stay in Shoreditch if I were you. It sounds like an unpleasant place frequented by bigots, bullies and shallow self-obsessed ********.

Edited by City Rocker
  • Like 1

I was in Shepherds Bush on Saturday. That's near Shoreditch. 

The fashion most on show in that area was to wear non-cotton shirts in either red or purple. Instead of a slogan on bandanas, the Shepherds Bush fashion was to go one better and have 2 words emblazoned on the front of said shirt.

It is still popular though to show off the manufacturer's logo on the attire.

If only I could find a photo to show you of what I saw around the green of Shepherds Bush.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Well I wouldn't stay in Shoreditch if I were you. It sounds like an unpleasant place frequented by bigots, bullies and shallow self-obsessed ********.

Your ferocious post breakfast broadside was far better before you edited out the final word!

Outstanding first thing in the morning fury!  :laugh:?

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
2x morning reduced to single morning
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never been a follower of fashion - as a teenager I liked the Mod look and I still like that look but I’m in my 60’s now and my taste has evolved but not to the stage where Im wearing grey and checkered cardigans………..:cool2:

I still wear Oxford and polo shirts along with Levi jeans - I can just about get away with it!

11 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I was in Shepherds Bush on Saturday. That's near Shoreditch. 

The fashion most on show in that area was to wear non-cotton shirts in either red or purple. Instead of a slogan on bandanas, the Shepherds Bush fashion was to go one better and have 2 words emblazoned on the front of said shirt.

If only I could find a photo to show you of what I saw around the green of Shepherds Bush.

Shepherds Bush is in West London, Shoreditch is in East London. I understand your joke but in terms of London the two places are far apart.

As a side note my contact in Shoreditch called me this morning to tell me that massive turn-ups on huge baggy jeans are poised to become must haves this Autumn season. Also bermuda shorts worn over leggings, although that does seem a bit out there if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Shepherds Bush is in West London, Shoreditch is in East London. I understand your joke but in terms of London the two places are far apart.

As a side note my contact in Shoreditch called me this morning to tell me that massive turn-ups on huge baggy jeans are poised to become must haves this Autumn season. Also bermuda shorts worn over leggings, although that does seem a bit out there if you ask me.

Not exactly the swinging 60s rebellion or the punk movement 76-77 to fashion though is it!

2 weeks ago I was finally able to buy Wrangler Jeans that hadn't been ripped, stone washed, brushed, coloured or had some elasticity added to the weave. In other words I bought proper, straight legged jeans! That's trend setting!

12 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

I do find this thread DastardlyRed interesting but it could end up bring like certain films. You get so annoyed with the plot or characters that you want to switch off but can't as you want to see how it ends up!

Are these trendsetters trying to prove something? What would a psychoanalyst make of them had he/she had an opportunity to discuss with the 'trendsetters'? What will we be missing out of if we don't follow 'suit'?

It reminds me of the early 80s when the BCFC clique was to be found by being a member of the supporters club! Anyone remember joining so that the chairman/whatever could be ousted?

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

I was in Shepherds Bush on Saturday. That's near Shoreditch. 

We don't wish to hear about your sexual peccadilos! 

• Haha 2

On 21/09/2021 at 13:52, The dastardly red said:

I have a friend who lives in Shoreditch, East London. He gives me info on latest men's trends which will inevitably filter down to the highstreets of smaller cities like Bristol. Here's the latest ins and outs...

Ins 

Massively baggy jeans. I've highlighted this before and we're already seeing them worn in places like Stokes Croft.

Combat trousers, like we used to see in the late nineties.

Statement/slogan bandanas. So a bandana with a single word on the part that covers the forehead. 

Vests. These are hugely on point at the moment and my friend predicts that even in the coming winter months we'll see fashion conscious men wearing vests without another layer/jacket.

A smooth shave. Sorry all you beardies out there, your time is up. 

Big trainers with huge tongues.

Outs

Beards, as mentioned above. Apparently they're now considered to be way too common and are being laughed at in Shoreditch.

Tassled shoes with no socks.

Skinny jeans. My friend says they've been dying for years but now that they're heavily stocked everywhere from Peacocks to Sainsburys they've become particularly embarrassing.

Tattoos. Bit of a tricky one this as they're notoriously long term so it's a hard pill to swallow for our inked friends who also care about being up to date fashionwise. According to my friend, tattoos are a victim of their own success and are considered way too mainstream now.

sounds a bit Eminem…or All Saints.

Will be interesting if there is any uptake in these trends…it always seems to happen, it becomes mainstream then the fashion world scream "urgh, that's so last year".

I remember when they tried to tell women that it wasn't trendy to straighten your hair. Didn't work. 

I remember people wearing big trainers with huge tongues, was that early 90s? You always wore them undone… 

The whole look doesn't sound very inspiring, I'm sure the man on the street will develop their own take on it…

Tattoos as a fashion item was always a bit silly. Most people I know had them anyway, not because it was trendy. 

On 22/09/2021 at 15:36, The dastardly red said:

I would get some friends who aren’t shallow *****.

On 22/09/2021 at 12:19, The dastardly red said:

Shoreditch is a hotbed for the latest trends. Hackney, Hoxton Square, Shoreditch are where most trends start off these days. It's where beards first became a thing and now they're everywhere.

So what's your look Nogbag? Sounds like you've got it down.

I have, I've got it down alright.

No need to brag about it and reveal details of my 'look' on here though.

The fashion conscious non entities of Shoreditch will be destroyed to learn there is perhaps a far more influential trend setter going quietly about his business right here in BS3.

They'll find out soon enough -The Nogbad Look, coming to a London Borough near you soon! :yes:

• Thanks 1

I've just spoken with my friend in Shoreditch and he's given me this season's ins and outs.

Here's what's hot and what's not in London. As I've explained before, fashions tend to debut in East London then spread through the city. They arrive on the high street in the rest of the country after they've gone out of fashion in the place they started out.

Gents, if you want to be cutting edge, jump on these:

-Large collared shirts in brown hues

-White trainers with raised heals (no noticeable branding on show)

-Tidy, cropped hair but with a long, straight fringe. Must not be curly or ruffled (apparently this is very important?)

-Bright vests

-V neck sweaters

-Baseball caps worn sideways

-Light blue jeans, very baggy

-chunky bracelets. Earring studs in both ears

Ditch these if you haven't already:

-Skinny jeans

-Product in hair

-Trousers that cut off above the ankle

-Tattoos; if you have them then cover them up where possible or bite the bullet and get them removed (although can be pricey)

-Puffer jackets

-New Balance trainers

-Beards, and this is a real big one apparently. My contact says that there actually seems to be hostility towards people with beards. It was a bit of a joke previously with people being laughed at for having them but now they're getting abuse shouted at them in East London. Sounds mad but my contact swears it's true.

-Bobble hats

-Festive jumpers are a big no this Christmas