IGNORED

Nicky Hunt - Undr the cosh

Rebounder

I listened to this this morning hoping there would be some revealing information about his time with us but it was all about his time at Bolton. Part 2 is out next week so bound to get asked about his time in Bristol in that part. I must say though, he’s quite a funny guy, got some funny stories. Quite a likeable chap. 

Just now, jambodinho said:

I listened to this this morning hoping there would be some revealing information about his time with us but it was all about his time at Bolton. Part 2 is out next week so bound to get asked about his time in Bristol in that part. I must say though, he’s quite a funny guy, got some funny stories. Quite a likeable chap. 

Sh1te fullback though 

9 hours ago, jambodinho said:

By all accounts he was a very popular character off the pitch in his time with us. Still pretty close with a lot of the players that he played with here 

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

By all accounts he was a very popular character off the pitch in his time with us. Still pretty close with a lot of the players that he played with here 

Took the piss out of us, though.

Genuinely don’t care if he was popular with his team mates, he stole a living from us & contributed absolutely nothing.

Waster.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Genuinely don’t care if he was popular with his team mates, he stole a living from us & contributed absolutely nothing.

Waster.

I wonder if he will cover it in the second part of the podcast but it was my understanding that Hunt was suffering with severe depression before and whilst he was with City. 

Pretty sure there is a poster on here that knows more about it than me, who may be along shortly to clarify....

• Thanks 1

Under The Cosh? Don't you mean 'Whip' or 'Starters Orders', for Hunt was 90% equine (by which I don't mean throughbred.)

He played as though his eyes were on the side of his head, he couldn't see right in front of him, constantly having to rock his napper to and fro. When he jumped he resembled the radar scanner at Lulsgate.

Feet like hooves to boot.

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Sh1te fullback though 

He certainly was for us - but he played ok for Bolton when they were in the Prem, so he must have had SOMETHING about him. I remember being puzzled about how crap he was at the time. 

Didn't he have a serious injury though - maybe that hit his confidence such that he could never be the player he was?

30 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wonder if he will cover it in the second part of the podcast but it was my understanding that Hunt was suffering with severe depression before and whilst he was with City. 

Pretty sure there is a poster on here that knows more about it than me, who may be along shortly to clarify....

Yes that's my understanding too - hoping he might discuss on the next episode but there were clearly some off the field issues with him when he was here. Thankfully now we seem to be on the way to a more open society where players can discuss things like this but back then, even if it was only 10 years ago, things like depression and anxiety were not associated with footballers 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Under The Cosh? Don't you mean 'Whip' or 'Starters Orders', for Hunt was 90% equine (by which I don't mean throughbred.)

He played as though his eyes were on the side of his head, he couldn't see right in front of him, constantly having to rock his napper to and fro. When he jumped he resembled the radar scanner at Lulsgate.

Feet like hooves to boot.

I'm guessing you didn't rate him 

2 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I enjoyed the first few podcasts they did but they are dreadfully ill prepared and Jon Parkin really doesn’t have a clue about anything. Plenty better similar shows out there.

I don't mind it but eventually felt that many of the stories were "We went out and got smashed. :laugh:" and so it felt a bit samey after a couple of series. The Kevin Campbell one was good and I like that they have focused on Lower League players. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rebounder said:

I don't mind it but eventually felt that many of the stories were "We went out and got smashed. :laugh:" and so it felt a bit samey after a couple of series. The Kevin Campbell one was good and I like that they have focused on Lower League players. 

Yeah I felt the same towards it, then these guys wonder why they never really made it in the top flight.. Going out and getting smashed every week isn't hilariously funny after a while

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

He said in part 1 that he keeps in contact with a lot of his former team mates and that he’s off to see Ivan Campo in Spain later in the year. Seems to be a popular guy and comes across likeable. Rumours of him suffering with depression before and during his time with us could be true and could explain why he wasn’t the player we were hoping he’d be for us. At the end of the first episode he’s talked about how he’d just signed a new 4 year contract with Bolton and then Big Sam gets the Newcastle job and in came Gary Megson (been mentioned in a few Undr the cosh podcasts before that Megson isn’t particularly well liked in the game) A couple of months later Megson brought in Gretar Steinsson who pretty much became first choice RB from then on. Signing a 4 year deal with your home town club in the premier league, playing regularly, linked with Liverpool and to be frozen out all of a sudden. Could explain his depression if that was the case. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yes he was really ill with depression,

And as a suffer of depression and knowing first hand how it can effect you and your work,

Hunt has all my sympathy and more, the way I look back on in is a player who was basically our "injured" for his entire time here through no fault of his own

Dani Rodriguez or elokobi if you will

It wasn't a stolen living it was someone who was mentally ill 

If he does confirm that, then hopefully people on here will be a bit more understanding.  

• Like 3

Watched a fair bit of it and wow, what a nice guy, and yes his performances for us have haunted me for years, but reading all the above and now listening to him speak I realise what we all knew, that you can "never judge a book by its cover" and clearly there was lot going on under the skin we did not see

Fair play to the guy

Edited by brady bunch
typo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

And as a suffer of depression and knowing first hand how it can effect you and your work,

Hunt has all my sympathy and more, the way I look back on in is a player who was basically our "injured" for his entire time here through no fault of his own

I must confess I have revised my opinion of him now this has come out into the open.

On 22/09/2021 at 09:18, GrahamC said:

Waster.

I have a strong sense that he was battling with issues 'off the pitch': maybe some form of addiction or relationship issue. He was excellent at Bolton.

17 hours ago, Monkeh said:

...and there we go. As a fellow traveller, I understand.