IGNORED

Which town?

Robbored

I've encountered this in proper quizzes including those set in newspapers, though clearly not @TomF's excellent run of Lockdown quizzes last year, where the quizmaster actually has the wrong answer but thinks that they are right and you have to try to guess whether they will have the answer commonly thought to be right or the answer that is actually right.

For example: In which colour were the first Model T Ford cars available?

Most people would say "black" and that is usually the answer expected.

But it's the wrong answer; you couldn't even buy one of the first models in black.

By 1918, half of all the cars in the U.S. were Model Ts. In his autobiography, Ford reported that in 1909 he told his management team, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black."[37]

However, in the first years of production from 1908 to 1913, the Model T was not available in black,[38] but rather only in gray, green, blue, and red. Green was available for the touring cars, town cars, coupes, and Landaulets. Gray was only available for the town cars, and red only for the touring cars. By 1912, all cars were being painted midnight blue with black fenders. Only in 1914 was the "any color so long as it is black" policy finally implemented

Coat got. Gone.

Is the RR asking which is the largest town in England with a team in the PL or EFL?

Or are we covering the while of GB, the UK or even further afield?

And what does the word 'professional' mean? For example, Warrington and Slough have been suggested. Both have football teams, it costs money to watch them, you can buy season tickets and they pay players (not much but they do).

(Obviously we all have fallen into a trap here).

9 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Is the RR asking which is the largest town in England with a team in the PL or EFL?

Or are we covering the while of GB, the UK or even further afield?

And what does the word 'professional' mean? For example, Warrington and Slough have been suggested. Both have football teams, it costs money to watch them, you can buy season tickets and they pay players (not much but they do).

(Obviously we all have fallen into a trap here).

I suggest you either differentiate or integrate to solve, Calculus. 

48 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

@Robbored, you seem unsure of the answer...Were you therefore asking because you don't know or did you ask by way of a quiz but don't really know the answer?

I'm not sure that Richard Osman would approve if the latter.

You’re right - I don’t the real answer but it’s been enjoyable reading the replies……….:laugh:

As I posted earlier I think it’s Slough but not everyone agrees.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You’re right - I don’t the real answer but it’s been enjoyable reading the replies……….:laugh:

As I posted earlier I think it’s Slough but not everyone agrees.

Warrington is officially a town (and has been for 900 years!), with a population larger than that of Slough. Those who have said Warrington currently have the closest to a correct answer so far.

There is some conjecture around population size, due to semantics however, and the difference isn't as big as it seems, and so probably flip-flops between Slough and Warrington.

The borough of Warrington has a population of 210,000, however the town itself has a population of around about 174,000.  Slough town has a population of 164,000.  In 2019, however, Warrington's population was estimated to be around 165,000 so it's possible that it's simply overtaken Slough to replace it as the correct answer!

To further muddy the waters, if we take the borough as a whole, then the answer becomes Solihull which edges Warrington out by about 5,000!

29 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Warrington is officially a town (and has been for 900 years!), with a population larger than that of Slough. Those who have said Warrington currently have the closest to a correct answer so far.

There is some conjecture around population size, due to semantics however, and the difference isn't as big as it seems, and so probably flip-flops between Slough and Warrington.

The borough of Warrington has a population of 210,000, however the town itself has a population of around about 174,000.  Slough town has a population of 164,000.  In 2019, however, Warrington's population was estimated to be around 165,000 so it's possible that it's simply overtaken Slough to replace it as the correct answer!

To further muddy the waters, if we take the borough as a whole, then the answer becomes Solihull which edges Warrington out by about 5,000!

According to Wiki, Solihull Moors are professional.

20 hours ago, Malago said:

Dudley.  Second largest town in the UK after Reading.  Doesn’t have a professional football team.

I've seen this a number of times, but Dudley is a borough. There is a Dudley town in it, but it is all part of the Black Country conurbation - a continuous built-up area that has WBA, Wolves and Walsall as clubs representing it.  It's only the vagaries of  how local government divides up the Black Country that mean there is no actual league side in Dudley Borough.

As a stand-alone town, I always understood Chelmsford was the largest town never to have seen league football. 

Archived