Jump to content
IGNORED

Likely ban of betting advertisements on Football shirts


Sandhurst Red
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-betting-gambling-advert-ban-is-likely-to-affect-nine-premier-league-teams-20210923

As outlined in the article, this is looking ever increasingly likely that it will get passed.

From our perspective, that means an end to Mansion Bet as sponsor, so will open up new commercial possibilities - but potential a shortfall unless we find another sponsor quickly for next season. In current times, that may be easier said than done. That said - I would love to see Thatchers emblazoned across the front of our shirts tbh!  

Does anyone know how many years the Mansion Bet contract was for, or was it all hidden from sight and yet another fine example of machiavellianism displayed by the Ipswich Ego? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I don’t understand why they would ban betting company sponsors for moral reasons but it’s still ok to be sponsored by alcohol which ruins millions more lives a year ?

This is the most obvious point to be made, which I agree on.

Both are legal though, so how did they draw the line? Both are also prevalent in football.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I don’t understand why they would ban betting company sponsors for moral reasons but it’s still ok to be sponsored by alcohol which ruins millions more lives a year ?

Does it? I have never seen comparative figures. From my own experience I spent 15 years in the casino, and latterly casino and bingo industries and I left in great part because I became less enamoured of it as I moved up the ladder. 

The idea that gambling was potentially dangerous to people's lives was not new to me, but on reaching upper management level I grew angry at the cynical way they tried to encourage "spend" especially in bingo which tends to cater for the less financially secure areas of society. The way they are able to advertise these days is a complete anathema to what was legal when I was involved, and that is a big worry.

I have had some bad experiences of alcohol as well, losing a brother to it's effects was devastating, I've lost count of the number of times I sat at a hospital bed over his life.

Having said that I am well aware that the vast majority of people can have a flutter and a drink and carry on their lives, so I agree with control rather than outright bans.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting rid of betting and alcohol would be a good thing IMO but then  I would like to see all advertising taken off shirts and a return to those simpler days when footballers weren't commercial billboards. 

Of course there will be many arguing the loss of income. Well here's an idea - how about football starts behaving responsibly and gets back to being an affordabl game for all. Over-commercialisation of football has been a disease for years and it needs be stopped before it kills the game 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Getting rid of betting and alcohol would be a good thing IMO but then  I would like to see all advertising taken off shirts and a return to those simpler days when footballers weren't commercial billboards. 

Of course there will be many arguing the loss of income. Well here's an idea - how about football starts behaving responsibly and gets back to being an affordabl game for all. Over-commercialisation of football has been a disease for years and it needs be stopped before it kills the game 

 

There would be a significant loss of income to professional football clubs if that ever happened and to recoup that loss ticket prices would have to go even higher and it would us fans that pay up.

Banning betting and alcohol advertising throughout the industry makes perfect sense tho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I didnt even know he sold it!

I think the betting offers they do at half time for instance, is much more tempting to have a bet,

I think thats encouraging, to someone to bet more, than a team being sponsored by ladbrokes for example.

If they are going to ban this on shirts, may as well ban the adverts.

I still find it odd to see it so blatantly and bullishly advertised. Especially when I think back to the days when we used to have the Gaming Board scrutinizing our staffing levels to make sure that we "really needed to advertise for recruits" to make sure we weren't using job ads as advertising for the casino. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Happy to see the advertising banned rather than the betting industry I hope?

Nope, I'd like the industry gone, too. But that's unrealistic, so certainly much more heavily regulated. And taxed. Trade in human misery.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Nope, I'd like the industry gone, too. But that's unrealistic, so certainly much more heavily regulated. And taxed. Trade in human misery.

Without getting too scientific/philosophical, where do you stop? Dopamine = want more of said thing.

Sugar = high dopamine

Sex = high dopamine

Games = high dopamine

Alcohol = high dopamine

Gambling = high dopamine

Heck, a goal for BCFC = high dopamine

  • Like 3
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Nope, I'd like the industry gone, too. But that's unrealistic, so certainly much more heavily regulated. And taxed. Trade in human misery.

It can't happen you are right, history teaches us that. Forcing it underground is what would be achieved and there it becomes much more dangerous. I would like to see it more regulated, back to the days when I was a young croupier, but again this will never happen and it's down to two words really....... National.... Lottery. 
Clearly the National Lottery has filled a hole that Governments are loathe to fill with direct taxation, but the argument from the gaming industry went "if they can advertise/have a tv programme dedicated to it, why can't we have similar?" And in a free trade society it's a difficult argument to beat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

There would be a significant loss of income to professional football clubs if that ever happened and to recoup that loss ticket prices would have to go even higher and it would us fans that pay up.

Banning betting and alcohol advertising throughout the industry makes perfect sense tho.

How much does shirt sponsorship gain for BCFC? Can you identify how sponsorship keeps ticket prices down?

The most lucrative sponsorship deals are not linked to clubs with low ticket prices.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

How much does shirt sponsorship gain for BCFC? Can you identify how sponsorship keeps ticket prices down?

The most lucrative sponsorship deals are not linked to clubs with low ticket prices.

I am pretty sure it’s less than £200k. Probably less than £150k.   Let’s assume it’s £200k. That’s £550 per day. Peanuts in the grand scheme of things. We lose around £40k per day I think if my memory serves me right 

It’s a cliche to say that ticket prices will have to go up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

How much does shirt sponsorship gain for BCFC? Can you identify how sponsorship keeps ticket prices down?

The most lucrative sponsorship deals are not linked to clubs with low ticket prices.

The most lucrative sponsorship goes to those clubs that get the most TV exposure so the likes of the Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and other PL clubs who of course have the biggest wage bills but how much of their income comes from sponsorship I have no idea.

Obviously they get vast amounts from Sky which is largely why these clubs can afford such massive salaries but match tickets are still hugely expensive - that’s if you can any.

It’s the clubs down the pyramid that would suffer the most if sponsorship was banned per se rather than just alcohol and betting companies. It would become a catch 22 situation for them 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Everytime i watch a game on sky, every other advert is for betting.

In the world cup, it was beer.

I wonder if mr murdoch, will stop that?

To me the TV adverts are far far far more destructive than shirt sponsorship and if they are going to ban one they must ban the other.  Ive never even heard of the vast majority of betting companies who are shirt sponsors, ours included (maybe Mansion but Dunder?!) but the big boys - Ladbrokes, Skybet, Betfair, William Hill etc taking up 75 % of the air time of the big games  - that needs to stop. Even the adverts encouraging you to be careful when betting are subliminally making you think about betting.  Tv bans will never happen though - betting companies have the government around their little finger with the revenues they produce so they’re  Teflon unfortunately. 

Edited by lenred
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, lenred said:

To me the TV adverts are far far far more destructive than shirt sponsorship and if they are going to ban one they must ban the other.  Ive never even heard of the vast majority of betting companies who are shirt sponsors, ours included (maybe Mansion but Dunder?!) but the big boys - Ladbrokes, Skybet, Betfair, William Hill etc taking up 75 % of the air time of the big games  - that needs to stop. Even the adverts encouraging you to be careful when betting are subliminally making you think about betting.  Tv bans will never happen though - betting companies have the government around their little finger with the revenues they produce so they’re  Teflon unfortunately. 

It’s not the same people in control of banning them though so ‘they’ cannot ban both 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...