Jump to content
IGNORED

Likely ban of betting advertisements on Football shirts


Sandhurst Red
 Share

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, TBW said:

Why is alcohol fine but betting not then?

I mean you could look at the point that personal issues caused by betting on sport is a lot higher than personal issues caused by alcohol in sport.

I doubt there's many people who turn to severe drink over their team losing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Perhaps, i don't know Dave, I just think losing another income stream post COVID Might not be the smartest move at the moment.

Yes, whatever anyone’s views on betting, alcohol, etc, the loss of a revenue stream and expectation of replacing like for like (£s wise) is gonna be tough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose the president was set when they banned Tobacco advertising which along with big tax increases steamed to have the desired effect on people smoking.

The biggest trigger for gambling addiction was fixed odds betting terminals in bookies, which was delt with by a cap on the amount gambled per go. 

But you can still open an account with a bookmaker on line and lose thousands in minutes, that ain't changing any time soon 

So, I don't know...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Nope, I'd like the industry gone, too. But that's unrealistic, so certainly much more heavily regulated. And taxed. Trade in human misery.

Just to say, I currently live in a country where gambling is illegal. The whole thing. There are no bookies, no lottery, no casinos. The closest you can legally get to gambling is a raffle at the local fete or charity dinner. 

However, I can ask the right person and quickly get on the phone to "a man" who will enter my name into an underground lottery. There are a few places that run cock fights and the like that will take bets. Alternatively in the modern age I can also access any UK or US website or app via a VPN and gamble on there, using my UK bank account that I can freely transfer cash to/from if I want to. Gambling still goes on, quite widely as well, it's just totally unregulated and unobserved by any local government.

My point is that it is human to speculate, gamble, and bet. It's a vice, and has the capacity to destroy a life, but it will always happen. In my opinion it is better to have it regulated, taxed, and monitored, and for there to be support available (paid for by those who profit from it) for those affected by it rather than to outright ban it and drive it underground where it can be exploited by unregulated people.

Simultaneously I'd say that you can have all of that and yet still ban the active promotion of it, and without making it seem like it is a natural part of sport. I would ban it from being advertised, I'd probably do the same with alcohol. These businesses just don't really need advertising IMO, humans will seek them out regardless.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weird how you don’t see any of the big betting companies on football shirts- Ladbrokes, Will Hill, Coral, Sky Bet (though obviously they do sponsor the entire league). Even when Paddy Power started sponsoring teams they did it by putting no sponsor logo on the front of kits and making them old style. 
How much business does a kit sponsor drum up? I’ve no desire to put my weekly £5 acca on Mansion Bet over SkyBet just because they sponsor City. Does this sway other people?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting move by Bolton here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-58672469

Bolton Wanderers Football Club has said it will no longer provide facilities for online betting at its stadium.

The League One club also said it would not sign any new sponsorship deals with gambling firms, but it would respect existing commercial partnerships.

It said the move followed concerns over growing levels of gambling addiction.

Club chairman Sharon Brittan said "problem gambling ruins lives" and the move was aimed at showing support to those affected.

The club said it would not enter into any new partnerships with firms representing the gambling industry and instead "look at supporting charities and organisations that seek to provide help for those suffering from betting addiction".

Chairman Sharon Brittan said: "Latest research shows that there are between 340,000 and 1.4m adult gambling addicts in the UK and over 60,000 young people aged between 11 and 16 are addicted.

"We as an industry must do more and, through our work with Bolton Wanderers in the Community, Bolton Wanderers Football Club will support outreach programmes for those who experience gambling problems."

The club's chief executive Neil Hart said: "We will not take part in any activity to promote gambling outside the existing EFL [English Football League] contractual requirements."

"This means we will not provide match day betting kiosks or enter into any new agreements with gambling companies."

He added it would continue with its club lottery as the fundraising income supported "good causes and supporter engagement projects".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll try not to get too involved in this as it's a personal subject for me, I've seen gambling and alcholism ruin my family - the combined were the symptoms of underlying mental health/depression issues but anyway...

The way I see it is gambling is actively pushed at us far too much, many adverts before during and after the game and it does influence people

I don't think alchohol sponsor has quite the same affect because if you didn't have it in the house you'd still have to go the shop and buy it - a small thing I know but it's very different to reminding you or encouraging you to place that bet just before kickoff from the device that's probably already in your hand

Also, all the free bets and promos are further encouragement. Of course, you get deals on alchohol at the shops and pub but that is outside of the scope of footballs controls.

Do I think a betting company on a t shirt will encourage anyone to gamble? Probably not, but it's part of a culture within the game that there is far too much encouragement to place a bet

Lastly, the increase of betting shops and/or access at stadiums has increased and made gambing easier. You could argue the over inflated prices of alchohol at football have done the opposite for drinking.

And that, probably badly explained, is why I have more of a problem with gambling sponsorship in football over alchohol. The only benefit I'd give to Thatcher's is at least they are a local company over say Mansion Bet but personally would prefer neither

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Does it? I have never seen comparative figures. From my own experience I spent 15 years in the casino, and latterly casino and bingo industries and I left in great part because I became less enamoured of it as I moved up the ladder. 

The idea that gambling was potentially dangerous to people's lives was not new to me, but on reaching upper management level I grew angry at the cynical way they tried to encourage "spend" especially in bingo which tends to cater for the less financially secure areas of society. The way they are able to advertise these days is a complete anathema to what was legal when I was involved, and that is a big worry.

I have had some bad experiences of alcohol as well, losing a brother to it's effects was devastating, I've lost count of the number of times I sat at a hospital bed over his life.

Having said that I am well aware that the vast majority of people can have a flutter and a drink and carry on their lives, so I agree with control rather than outright bans.

Yeh agreed both can be done with a lot of fun if your not an addictive person . I personally don’t see why they should ban either alcohol or gambling sponsers but can see why people have issues with them .

very sorry to hear about your brother and what it must of put you through, can’t believe that in the 21st century there’s still very little help for addictions and mental health issues(which normally lead to addiction)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

Weird how you don’t see any of the big betting companies on football shirts- Ladbrokes, Will Hill, Coral, Sky Bet (though obviously they do sponsor the entire league). Even when Paddy Power started sponsoring teams they did it by putting no sponsor logo on the front of kits and making them old style. 
How much business does a kit sponsor drum up? I’ve no desire to put my weekly £5 acca on Mansion Bet over SkyBet just because they sponsor City. Does this sway other people?

To be honest when mansion bet and dunder first sponsered us it made me have a look on there sites but the odds on mansion bet weren’t as good as others and the slots on dunder had lower bonus percentages than the bigger casino company’s so I didn’t bother .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dredd said:

Weird how you don’t see any of the big betting companies on football shirts- Ladbrokes, Will Hill, Coral, Sky Bet (though obviously they do sponsor the entire league). Even when Paddy Power started sponsoring teams they did it by putting no sponsor logo on the front of kits and making them old style. 
How much business does a kit sponsor drum up? I’ve no desire to put my weekly £5 acca on Mansion Bet over SkyBet just because they sponsor City. Does this sway other people?

Historically, Ladbrooks, William Hill , Coral etc, have been big names and seen on the high street. While they have been involved I guess their need for high profile sponsorship is way less. Dunder, Masion and all the Bet365, 32Red and other unknown Names need a high profile kickstart and with football you have a head start as obviously the fan base are already interested in sport. It's bound to get traffic onto their sites purely from curiosity .
I'm not sure what difference it makes, I have a close relationship with an alcoholic and adverts played little or no part. Same with betting, if you get into it and are you have that sort of personality, then I'm not sure a missing advert will make things better, I really don't know.
I bet every week, but have never been the sort of person to bet for any reason but fun. I've never taken any action because of an advert, whether it was on City's shirt or not. I might have avoided anyone that sponsored R*vers though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just to say, I currently live in a country where gambling is illegal. The whole thing. There are no bookies, no lottery, no casinos. The closest you can legally get to gambling is a raffle at the local fete or charity dinner. 

However, I can ask the right person and quickly get on the phone to "a man" who will enter my name into an underground lottery. There are a few places that run cock fights and the like that will take bets. Alternatively in the modern age I can also access any UK or US website or app via a VPN and gamble on there, using my UK bank account that I can freely transfer cash to/from if I want to. Gambling still goes on, quite widely as well, it's just totally unregulated and unobserved by any local government.

My point is that it is human to speculate, gamble, and bet. It's a vice, and has the capacity to destroy a life, but it will always happen. In my opinion it is better to have it regulated, taxed, and monitored, and for there to be support available (paid for by those who profit from it) for those affected by it rather than to outright ban it and drive it underground where it can be exploited by unregulated people.

Simultaneously I'd say that you can have all of that and yet still ban the active promotion of it, and without making it seem like it is a natural part of sport. I would ban it from being advertised, I'd probably do the same with alcohol. These businesses just don't really need advertising IMO, humans will seek them out regardless.

Where do you live out of interest if you don’t mind me asking 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

So, no tobacco, alcohol or gambling.

Who or what would you like to see on our shirts?

Are Park Furnishers or Hirerite still going?

The problem is, the companies with money to spend naturally have to be companies that can , for want of a better expression, trend. Tobacco is addictive , alcohol can be addictive , gambling can be addictive . All of those have A. been linked with ruining lives , and B. are very, very lucrative . Sports companies must be rubbing their hands as competition drops away. You can almost guarantee the next rush of firms will be something else deemed dubious, eventually. 
It's difficult to see where Clubs might get anywhere near the figures they have been getting.  It's probably harder at out level too, Prem clubs are high profile and get the cream, that's why we got the equivalent of start ups with Dunder , bags of money (potential) but little clout. Really don't see companies queueing unlike before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The problem is, the companies with money to spend naturally have to be companies that can , for want of a better expression, trend. Tobacco is addictive , alcohol can be addictive , gambling can be addictive . All of those have A. been linked with ruining lives , and B. are very, very lucrative . Sports companies must be rubbing their hands as competition drops away. You can almost guarantee the next rush of firms will be something else deemed dubious, eventually. 
It's difficult to see where Clubs might get anywhere near the figures they have been getting.  It's probably harder at out level too, Prem clubs are high profile and get the cream, that's why we got the equivalent of start ups with Dunder , bags of money (potential) but little clout. Really don't see companies queueing unlike before.

Yes, maybe this and the number of clubs really struggling financially is the start of the footballers salaries shrinking, let’s face it there’s plenty of room for shrinkage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes, maybe this and the number of clubs really struggling financially is the start of the footballers salaries shrinking, let’s face it there’s plenty of room for shrinkage. 

Possibly, I think that at our level that has already started, The problem is the Prem is hardly affected, at least until new TV deals are due and then things may change. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

There would be a significant loss of income to professional football clubs if that ever happened and to recoup that loss ticket prices would have to go even higher and it would us fans that pay up.

Banning betting and alcohol advertising throughout the industry makes perfect sense tho.

How about a return to more sensible wages instead of selling our football club's souls?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Without getting too scientific/philosophical, where do you stop? Dopamine = want more of said thing.

Sugar = high dopamine

Sex = high dopamine

Games = high dopamine

Alcohol = high dopamine

Gambling = high dopamine

Heck, a goal for BCFC = high dopamine

Home win for Bristol City =  high dopamine of Mount Everest proportions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...