IGNORED

Watching the game with a pint.

Bristol Rob

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Quite agree.

I quite like my match day routine which does involve a pre match pint, but to watch the game with a pint in my hand, knowing that if we score, there will be idiots who decide they need to lob beer in the air... less so.

Odd how beer throwers don't feel the need to throw a cup of bovril when we score.

I think it's fine if we're playing at home - we hardly ever score!!!

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Highlight

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

If you can’t go 2x 45 mins without a drink… ?‍♂️

You a regular in the Daily Mail Comments section too? ?

In all seriousness-  Why should anybody have to, its not illegal to have a cider & watch some sport, except in football stadiums - it might even liven our home crowd up a bit. 

Its ridiculous having to go queue then down a pint and rush back to seat.

As long as it doesn’t apply to the away fans though. They don’t need any encouragement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr Roper said:

Only been to a few Bears games but it does amaze me that people cannot sit and watch the game without going for constant refiils . Very different feel about watching City than the Bears .I have always thought it is unfair on football fans as opposed to every other sport that we cant take a tipple into game with us .Discrimination ???

Anecdotally as I have no actual facts to back this up but the bars always seem far far busier at the Bears than they are for City, and that in turn encourages people to go out whilst the game is on so you don’t have to queue for an age - certainly does with me anyhow! 
Personally I’m pretty ambivalent to whether beer being available during the game or not is a good thing but what I will say is that I think anything that means football fans get treated as adults and in line with other sports as opposed to being singled out is a good thing, which this step would be imho. 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

About time this was being discussed. I don’t mind pre match drinks, I don’t feel the need to get a pint during the game, but if I feel like a half time pint I detest having to neck it in 10 minutes. Would be much nicer to be able to take it back to my seat and enjoy it during the second half

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Stupid idea.

Bad enough the constant interruptions of folks disrupting watching already, let alone exacerbated by those carrying drinks. So what's the proposal - drinks have to be in an open/closed container? Will it be non-carbonated drinks only as if in a closed container imagine what all that shaking up and down will do when opened? Not we get too many at AG but imagine what happens when a goal goes in and the inebriated numpty next to you celebrates?

If you cant go 45 mins without a bevvy, don't go.

The flip side to the cant wait 45 mins argument is that if people didn't have to wait til half time to get a drink then queues would be shorter at half time.

It's impossible at the moment to get out, get a drink and get back without missing any of the action. I'd at least just like the option to finish my drink at my seat rather than have to rush it down in the concourse

14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The flip side to the cant wait 45 mins argument is that if people didn't have to wait til half time to get a drink then queues would be shorter at half time.

It's impossible at the moment to get out, get a drink and get back without missing any of the action. I'd at least just like the option to finish my drink at my seat rather than have to rush it down in the concourse

Or the club could pre-order pour drinks for fans to collect straight away rather than the farce there is now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dredd said:

About time this was being discussed. I don’t mind pre match drinks, I don’t feel the need to get a pint during the game, but if I feel like a half time pint I detest having to neck it in 10 minutes. Would be much nicer to be able to take it back to my seat and enjoy it during the second half

I don't see why beer in plastic bottles can't be taken to your seat - the same as coke, lemonade or any other drink, but if you're one of those people who needs a p!55 immediately after a beer then don't do it. You should know your own body. It's really annoying when people are constantly pushing past whilst one is trying to watch a game. 

I'm one of the 'lucky' ones who can drink about 4 pints before needing the toilet, so it's easy for me to say I suppose. 

4 hours ago, Midred said:

Perhaps we ought to go the way of American stadiums where everything is brought to you? 

As an American, every sportsball game I've been to here has had in-seat service, which you do pay heavily for, so taking in my first game in England was a bit of a culture shock. What do you mean I have to go get it myself? But also, explains the obesity % of Americans compared to everywhere else in the world. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 24/09/2021 at 18:18, New2City said:

As an American, every sportsball game I've been to here has had in-seat service, which you do pay heavily for, so taking in my first game in England was a bit of a culture shock. What do you mean I have to go get it myself? But also, explains the obesity % of Americans compared to everywhere else in the world. 

Yeah well every country has it's own habits. I'm from Australia and use wetten.com to find my betting sites and we don't have that in-seat service either. But I'm actually totally fine with it. It's not that exhausting for me to get my stuff.

Edited by Teurer

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

It would never happen but it would be nice if alcohol was allowed in the stands but the bars shut whilst the match is in progress.

That would avoid the ridiculous need to neck a pint at 2.55 and also avoid people coming and going throughout the game.

Agree, if I’m late to a game and haven’t been to the pub I’ll get a pie and pint but then it’s a struggle to hold them both and consume them at the same time.

It would be ideal to take them to my seat.

The amount of people drinking in the concourses while the game is going on is staggering nowadays, each to their own but with the price we have to pay to watch the game, to then miss a load of it to have a pint seems odd.

14 minutes ago, New2City said:

Obesity in the US seems to be getting worse. I saw a survey recently and apparently 2 out of 3 Americans have now become 4 out of 5 Americans.

• Haha 2

It's been banned since 1985 and for a time this was valid, the risk was valid- but those days have passed.

Back when I went to watch Roma in 2017, not only could you drink in view of the pitch but there was periodically, service of beer in the stand itself- very different!

Time to give it a go IMO. Ex head of the EFL Shaun Harvey was lobbying for it back in 2018.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6316347/EFL-chief-Shaun-Harvey-backs-calls-review-ban-drinking-stands.html

Another article on it. Not really read it yet.

https://www.theculturedivision.com/stories/beer-and-football-bridging-the-disconnect

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Little bit on this.

Saw in the Times tonight that police aren't keen and that of course makes it significantly less likely.

Mentioned Mark Roberts, Cheshire Police chief constable and the UK's football policing lead.

He described it as "irresponsible" but would welcome contact with Crouch to discuss it further.

Ultimately his opposition makes it somewhat less likely IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 24/09/2021 at 17:10, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

You can take your drink in a plastic glass onto the terraces at non League level. Well Manor Farm, Frome, Paulton level anyway.

Exactly and that adds to the experience. Watched non league at Farm, Bristol telephones, Roman glass , Brinscombe in last 12 months and having a pitch side pint during game and chat with locals is great. 
Also watched Bundesliga couple of times in last 2 years and Hertha sell a 1 litre jug so buy one of them and no need to go up and down for refill , only problem is that it doesn’t come with a catheter ??

I see both sides of it, for me it'd be nice to not get caught in the half time fight for a pint and then have to either down it or watch the first few minutes of the second half in the concourse. There will definitely be idiots throwing pints around when a goal goes in though. 

Ultimately, if you can drink in the stands at Rugby, Cricket and other sports then you should be able to at football. Yet another example of the harsh treatment football fans get from authorities in general.