IGNORED

Hollowhead...just cannot resist the chance

maxjak

Well what a surprise?  i was Tempted in, to read a piece by Hollowhead on today's Bristol Post website with regard to the new initiative to re introduce standing at soccer grounds, I should have known better?  Given the opportunity to make some serious points and insight into the issue....Hollowhead, given so many choices as examples, decides to regurgitate May 1990 at a Bath building site.?    Quite probably my worst ever experience at an away match, and i have been to a lot, standing on a ramshackle terrace on crutches, due to a broken leg suffered playing football a few weeks before, it started badly, and then got worse.   It was just the most horrendous capitulation to a pumped up Gas side, who just blew us away with route one football that we just couldn't cope with.  i spent a depressing 90 minutes teetering on my wooden props, trying to stay upright,   hating every minute, and wishing i'd   stayed home.  I have just rewatched the video through gritted teeth, made even worse by Malone's wittering monstrosity of a commentary, and it is still the horrible mess I have tried to forget.  .

So thanks a lot Hollowhead for stirring up a memory i have tried to suppress, you just couldn't help yourself could you FFS?   Apparently you got a great Buzz from the game?, well you know where you can stick that Buzz don't you?          Anyway time is a great healer, and as we gradually move onwards and upwards under Uncle Nige, I take great solace in seeing our sad neighbours slow decline towards Non-league    football as some kind of reward for my worst ever 90 minutes   at an away game.   Any other away game horror stories out there? ?              

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Well what a surprise?  i was Tempted in, to read a piece by Hollowhead on today's Bristol Post website with regard to the new initiative to re introduce standing at soccer grounds, I should have known better?  Given the opportunity to make some serious points and insight into the issue....Hollowhead, given so many choices as examples, decides to regurgitate May 1990 at a Bath building site.?    Quite probably my worst ever experience at an away match, and i have been to a lot, standing on a ramshackle terrace on crutches, due to a broken leg suffered playing football a few weeks before, it started badly, and then got worse.   It was just the most horrendous capitulation to a pumped up Gas side, who just blew us away with route one football that we just couldn't cope with.  i spent a depressing 90 minutes teetering on my wooden props, trying to stay upright,   hating every minute, and wishing i'd   stayed home.  I have just rewatched the video through gritted teeth, made even worse by Malone's wittering monstrosity of a commentary, and it is still the horrible mess I have tried to forget.  .

So thanks a lot Hollowhead for stirring up a memory i have tried to suppress, you just couldn't help yourself could you FFS?   Apparently you got a great Buzz from the game?, well you know where you can stick that Buzz don't you?          Anyway time is a great healer, and as we gradually move onwards and upwards under Uncle Nige, I take great solace in seeing our sad neighbours slow decline towards Non-league    football as some kind of reward for my worst ever 90 minutes   at an away game.   Any other away game horror stories out there? ?              

So your on the fence about Holloway then? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Still winds me up that they changed the original fixture from a time when we were bang in form to May 2nd, even after all these years.

It was almost the perfect storm for Rovers...

It was at the end of the "will you ever beat the Gas? Era...

Effing annoying...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

He who laughs last, laughs longest,  and we’ve now got plenty to laugh about with the Rovers. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yep, and we were without Sir Bob, who was on 34 goals for the season, then got injured before this re-scheduled game. 

5 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

It was almost the perfect storm for Rovers...

It was at the end of the "will you ever beat the Gas? Era...

Effing annoying...

All's well that ends well though chaps, didn't take long for normality to resume even though the cheating 8astards are still crowing about it now even though they dropped out of the entire football league on the same date.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yep, and we were without Sir Bob, who was on 34 goals for the season, then got injured before this re-scheduled game. 

Losing Sir Bob cost us that title.  True, we scored 7 times in the first two games after that injury, but draws against Orient and Huddersfield, and a 1-0 defeat to Bolton put the slags back into contention.

3 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Losing Sir Bob cost us that title.  True, we scored 7 times in the first two games after that injury, but draws against Orient and Huddersfield, and a 1-0 defeat to Bolton put the slags back into contention.

Yep. We would and should have been going to Trumpton on May 2nd as Champions. The result of that game wouldn't have mattered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

All's well that ends well though chaps, didn't take long for normality to resume even though the cheating 8astards are still crowing about it now even though they dropped out of the entire football league on the same date.

Not quite sir, they weren’t relegated into the conference on 2nd May but they were relegated into div 4 by their old friends Wycombe Wanderers on 2nd May 2001 ... that gave them reason to consider re-naming their fanzine as the title was rendered embarrassing by Wycombe’s triumph!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

If it upsets you that much why even bother to read the drivel he comes out with? 
As long as people read that sort of rubbish the EP will still invite him to give us the ‘wisdom of his knowledge’

Don't but the newspaper, done look at the website and ignore his opinions anywhere else you see it, move on. 

When I went to watch Exeter v them lot a few weeks ago I was momentarily feeling a bit sorry for their million fans that had made the journey and now found themselves 4-0 down after 25 minutes.

The moment only lasted seconds, then I remembered the game mentioned above and suddenly found myself happier than the Exeter fans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, shelts said:

That game still hurts and judging by the reaction on here quite a few feel the same . The horse punchers will always have that over us and fair play to em . Would I rather we won it but had their history … no!!

Holloway loves to wind us up . 

It’s weird, it does still hurt and I’ll never forget it, even though it’s over 30 years ago.

I can remember standing there at the final whistle feeling numb and almost unable to move, I was thinking to myself then that this is something I’d never forget.
And although I have very few thoughts about them lot nowadays, moments as I mentioned above makes it come flooding back,

Just now, ralphindevon said:

It’s weird, it does still hurt and I’ll never forget it, even though it’s over 30 years ago.

I can remember standing there at the final whistle feeling numb and almost unable to move, I was thinking to myself then that this is something I’d never forget.
And although I have very few thoughts about them lot nowadays, moments as I mentioned above makes it come flooding back,

I was only 15 at the time but I cried like a baby !!!

It’s a terrible memory !!

That was some season tbf . Cotts double made it feel a little better !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shelts said:

That game still hurts and judging by the reaction on here quite a few feel the same . The horse punchers will always have that over us and fair play to em . Would I rather we won it but had their history … no!!

It still hurts a lot ... never forget Holloway’s words from 08:09 in this vid:

7 hours ago, maxjak said:

And then through the tortuous gloom cameth The Gap. Long live The Gap ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, maxjak said:

my experience of this fixture is slightly different. I remember Gas being pumped up and the route 1 football. I remember Sinclair visibly shaking. However.....there was then a near riot in the Bristol End of the Trumpton.... and a very unexpected turn of events was to follow. 

There was a bloke over my shoulder who reeked of alcohol (I'll call him Red Head) who spent the entire game screaming abuse at The Gas, Toward the end of the game he handed me a slip of paper....I looked at it, and I was told it was Hollowheads home address and the house was gonna be torched...that night. Despite my anger at our utterly limp wristed performance, I left Trumpton with a minute or two left on the clock...I really couldnt face any more. My ambition was to head back to the Hen and Chicken and drink myself senseless. On the way out of the ground, a cop made a sarcy remark and I spun and pulled the paper out of my pocket with Hollowheads home addy and told him he had bigger things to worry about that night....and then left BA2. 

Cut the scene to the following January.... we played at Notts Forest in the FA Cup. Rumour bounced around the away End that a coach couldnt make it back. Fair doos. I drove a family sized car and had 2 passengers (1 a mate of a mate). As I was driving past a line of "City Fans"  the guy in the back asked me to stop as one of the blokes in the line was a mate of his. Imagine my surprise when "Red Head" climbed into the back of the car....reeking of alcohol (again)... and when I say reeking, I mean reeking.

Somewhere between the M42 and the M5 to Bristol, it was evident that Red Head knew waaaaaay more about BCFC than the other 3 of us collectively, and I asked questions. Red Head and the mate of a mate had a chat in the back of my car and I was evidently "passed" as OK. Red Head told me that he was a Plain Clothed Cop, who was sprayed with alcohol pre match and was then asked to "report back" and thus microphoned. The Police knew every move he made, and he was able to support to his fellow Gendarmes with info from the terraces. 

I had absolutely no argument with Red Head. he was a genuinely decent bloke who had a job to do...but I was amazed at his job (or at least a part of it). I dropped Red Head and his mate off at Ashton Gate and then effed off back to my flat in Luckwell Road. 

To this day, Ive still no idea if I was given the facts or "sold" a pup, but it all seemed to add up at the time. 

Is this a true story? I have friends on this forum that would vouch for my authenticity and lack of b/s. 

True story.... and apologies if years onwards I have broken any confidences

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

my experience of this fixture is slightly different. I remember Gas being pumped up and the route 1 football. I remember Sinclair visibly shaking. However.....there was then a near riot in the Bristol End of the Trumpton.... and a very unexpected turn of events was to follow. 

There was a bloke over my shoulder who reeked of alcohol (I'll call him Red Head) who spent the entire game screaming abuse at The Gas, Toward the end of the game he handed me a slip of paper....I looked at it, and I was told it was Hollowheads home address and the house was gonna be torched...that night. Despite my anger at our utterly limp wristed performance, I left Trumpton with a minute or two left on the clock...I really couldnt face any more. My ambition was to head back to the Hen and Chicken and drink myself senseless. On the way out of the ground, a cop made a sarcy remark and I spun and pulled the paper out of my pocket with Hollowheads home addy and told him he had bigger things to worry about that night....and then left BA2. 

Cut the scene to the following January.... we played at Notts Forest in the FA Cup. Rumour bounced around the away End that a coach couldnt make it back. Fair doos. I drove a family sized car and had 2 passengers (1 a mate of a mate). As I was driving past a line of "City Fans"  the guy in the back asked me to stop as one of the blokes in the line was a mate of his. Imagine my surprise when "Red Head" climbed into the back of the car....reeking of alcohol (again)... and when I say reeking, I mean reeking.

Somewhere between the M42 and the M5 to Bristol, it was evident that Red Head knew waaaaaay more about BCFC than the other 3 of us collectively, and I asked questions. Red Head and the mate of a mate had a chat in the back of my car and I was evidently "passed" as OK. Red Head told me that he was a Plain Clothed Cop, who was sprayed with alcohol pre match and was then asked to "report back" and thus microphoned. The Police knew every move he made, and he was able to support to his fellow Gendarmes with info from the terraces. 

I had absolutely no argument with Red Head. he was a genuinely decent bloke who had a job to do...but I was amazed at his job (or at least a part of it). I dropped Red Head and his mate off at Ashton Gate and then effed off back to my flat in Luckwell Road. 

To this day, Ive still no idea if I was given the facts or "sold" a pup, but it all seemed to add up at the time. 

Is this a true story? I have friends on this forum that would vouch for my authenticity and lack of b/s. 

True story.... and apologies if years onwards I have broken any confidences

... as soon as you said “Notts Forest” it all fell apart - that club doesn’t exist, I stand with the proud Magpies on that one ...

6 hours ago, shelts said:

That's exactly it he loves to wind us up. He hates us as much as we hate him and the gas.