IGNORED

Hollowhead...just cannot resist the chance

maxjak

On 24/09/2021 at 23:13, BS4 on Tour... said:

... as soon as you said “Notts Forest” it all fell apart - that club doesn’t exist, I stand with the proud Magpies on that one ...

If Nottingham Forest fans hate being called “Notts” (which they do), then what more reason do we need to call them Notts ?

After all, they are among the worst for calling us “Bristol”, so **** them !

• Like 2

I think it just sums up the Post bias that theyve asked some has been wth a biased agenda to comment on safe standing and he uses the opportunity to rant on about 5hitty terracing on a non league ground some 30 years ago that's got nothing to do with safe standing. Rather sums up the has been and the rag its posted in

21 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

If Nottingham Forest fans hate being called “Notts” (which they do), then what more reason do we need to call them Notts ?

After all, they are among the worst for calling us “Bristol”, so **** them !

Totally get where you are coming from, but it’s more the County fans who hate their prefix being confused with Forest - I’ve got to know a fair few Notts County fans - very loyal and admirable bunch ...

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape about Holloway. Born in the heart of Gas territory in East Bristol, played for the Gas with his heart on his sleeve, its hardly surprising he remains a Gas fan who sometimes likes to Lord it over City. Given the Gap there are few opportunities to do so these days and in any case I can think of a few ex City players who would return the favour. Just let it go. 

On 24/09/2021 at 14:43, maxjak said:

Well what a surprise?  i was Tempted in, to read a piece by Hollowhead on today's Bristol Post website with regard to the new initiative to re introduce standing at soccer grounds, I should have known better?  Given the opportunity to make some serious points and insight into the issue....Hollowhead, given so many choices as examples, decides to regurgitate May 1990 at a Bath building site.?    Quite probably my worst ever experience at an away match, and i have been to a lot, standing on a ramshackle terrace on crutches, due to a broken leg suffered playing football a few weeks before, it started badly, and then got worse.   It was just the most horrendous capitulation to a pumped up Gas side, who just blew us away with route one football that we just couldn't cope with.  i spent a depressing 90 minutes teetering on my wooden props, trying to stay upright,   hating every minute, and wishing i'd   stayed home.  I have just rewatched the video through gritted teeth, made even worse by Malone's wittering monstrosity of a commentary, and it is still the horrible mess I have tried to forget.  .

So thanks a lot Hollowhead for stirring up a memory i have tried to suppress, you just couldn't help yourself could you FFS?   Apparently you got a great Buzz from the game?, well you know where you can stick that Buzz don't you?          Anyway time is a great healer, and as we gradually move onwards and upwards under Uncle Nige, I take great solace in seeing our sad neighbours slow decline towards Non-league    football as some kind of reward for my worst ever 90 minutes   at an away game.   Any other away game horror stories out there? ?              

I was there at that game.
Horrible weather. Horrible ground. Horrible football. Horrible result - and not even any pubs open - and then a horrible miserable drive home. 

Altogether a rather horrible experience. My first, last an only trip to Trumpton.

6 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Horrible weather. Horrible ground. Horrible football. Horrible result - and not even any pubs open - and then a horrible miserable drive home. 

Altogether a rather horrible experience. My first, last an only trip to Trumpton.

dont remember a lot being wrong with the weather, though there was a wacking great Black Cloud over that Open Terrace. As soon as I saw Sinclair visibly trembling I knew we were in trouble

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape about Holloway. Born in the heart of Gas territory in East Bristol, played for the Gas with his heart on his sleeve, its hardly surprising he remains a Gas fan who sometimes likes to Lord it over City. Given the Gap there are few opportunities to do so these days and in any case I can think of a few ex City players who would return the favour. Just let it go. 

That's just it, HE can't let it go! Which is why there is still so much hostility and vitriol generated whenever his name is mentioned.

An example of this would be Geoff Twentyman. He's from the same era as that odious person yet nobody sees him in the same light.  

40 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

dont remember a lot being wrong with the weather, though there was a wacking great Black Cloud over that Open Terrace. As soon as I saw Sinclair visibly trembling I knew we were in trouble

Perhaps you're right - maybe the whole experienced made me remember it like it was raining!!

7 hours ago, Swede said:

That's just it, HE can't let it go! Which is why there is still so much hostility and vitriol generated whenever his name is mentioned.

An example of this would be Geoff Twentyman. He's from the same era as that odious person yet nobody sees him in the same light.  

Twenty pence is a scouser not a Gas head born and bred. I have no problems with players who wear their loyalty on their sleeve. For Ollie read Scotty Murray in a City shirt. 

The fact is that controversial or not I like him. He's a character and we need more of those to save us from the mind numbing tedium of pundits like Shearer and Jenas. He's a local boy made good carving out a successful career out of football as a player, manager and pundit and, while people might not like it, he's been in demand because he's knowledgeable about the game. Outside of football the man nursed his wife through lymphatic cancer and mounted a crusade so that his deaf children could receive a decent education. He deserves respect. 

17 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Twenty pence is a scouser not a Gas head born and bred. I have no problems with players who wear their loyalty on their sleeve. For Ollie read Scotty Murray in a City shirt. 

The fact is that controversial or not I like him. He's a character and we need more of those to save us from the mind numbing tedium of pundits like Shearer and Jenas. He's a local boy made good carving out a successful career out of football as a player, manager and pundit and, while people might not like it, he's been in demand because he's knowledgeable about the game. Outside of football the man nursed his wife through lymphatic cancer and mounted a crusade so that his deaf children could receive a decent education. He deserves respect. 

His private life has nothing whatsoever to do with what he does publicly. He would gain a lot more respect from the majority of football fans in this area if he set an example and left his bigoted past in the past. At some point in the past he said he was proud to be a Bristolian, well its about time he started showing it.

16 minutes ago, Swede said:

His private life has nothing whatsoever to do with what he does publicly. He would gain a lot more respect from the majority of football fans in this area if he set an example and left his bigoted past in the past. At some point in the past he said he was proud to be a Bristolian, well its about time he started showing it.

How is he bigoted? He's certainly no more bigoted than those who despise him simply because he supports the Gas or because he holds a view contrary to their own. Any disparaging remarks he may of made in the past about City pale in comparison to many comments made about the Gas on this forum. 

On 27/09/2021 at 13:03, bcfcredandwhite said:

Me too.......I never (Thank God) ever returned to that decrepit wasteland named Trumpton...........so my sour memories of that surreal day will remain forever buried...............(Cue Doom Laden Orchestral Music!)  Ha!         

On 24/09/2021 at 22:42, Sweeneys Penalties said:

my experience of this fixture is slightly different. I remember Gas being pumped up and the route 1 football. I remember Sinclair visibly shaking. However.....there was then a near riot in the Bristol End of the Trumpton.... and a very unexpected turn of events was to follow. 

There was a bloke over my shoulder who reeked of alcohol (I'll call him Red Head) who spent the entire game screaming abuse at The Gas, Toward the end of the game he handed me a slip of paper....I looked at it, and I was told it was Hollowheads home address and the house was gonna be torched...that night. Despite my anger at our utterly limp wristed performance, I left Trumpton with a minute or two left on the clock...I really couldnt face any more. My ambition was to head back to the Hen and Chicken and drink myself senseless. On the way out of the ground, a cop made a sarcy remark and I spun and pulled the paper out of my pocket with Hollowheads home addy and told him he had bigger things to worry about that night....and then left BA2. 

Cut the scene to the following January.... we played at Notts Forest in the FA Cup. Rumour bounced around the away End that a coach couldnt make it back. Fair doos. I drove a family sized car and had 2 passengers (1 a mate of a mate). As I was driving past a line of "City Fans"  the guy in the back asked me to stop as one of the blokes in the line was a mate of his. Imagine my surprise when "Red Head" climbed into the back of the car....reeking of alcohol (again)... and when I say reeking, I mean reeking.

Somewhere between the M42 and the M5 to Bristol, it was evident that Red Head knew waaaaaay more about BCFC than the other 3 of us collectively, and I asked questions. Red Head and the mate of a mate had a chat in the back of my car and I was evidently "passed" as OK. Red Head told me that he was a Plain Clothed Cop, who was sprayed with alcohol pre match and was then asked to "report back" and thus microphoned. The Police knew every move he made, and he was able to support to his fellow Gendarmes with info from the terraces. 

I had absolutely no argument with Red Head. he was a genuinely decent bloke who had a job to do...but I was amazed at his job (or at least a part of it). I dropped Red Head and his mate off at Ashton Gate and then effed off back to my flat in Luckwell Road. 

To this day, Ive still no idea if I was given the facts or "sold" a pup, but it all seemed to add up at the time. 

Is this a true story? I have friends on this forum that would vouch for my authenticity and lack of b/s. 

True story.... and apologies if years onwards I have broken any confidences

Well, if Mr Redhead’s remit was to stop any violence, he had a colossal fail that day. Kicked off big time at the end!