IGNORED

Fulham at home match-day thread

Good day ‘long-suffering fans’ (as NP termed us this week) everywhere, Fulham this afternoon, however, before getting to that here’s an interesting comparison regarding our form:

Last eight games of 20/21: W0 D2 L6 F7 A18  Points = 2

First eight games of 21/22: W3 D3 L2 F10 A9  Points = 12

First eight games of last season, which everyone was raving about: W4 D2 L2 F11 A6 Points  = 14

On to today.

Very intense ex-manager Scott Parker had this to say when they were relegated from the Premiership last season, ‘I’m hurt, I’m gutted. There’s been disappointment this year, and we need to put our hands up, we need to get around a table, we need to understand where we want to go as a club, what we need to do.’ Shortly afterwards Parker decided where he wanted to go as he departed for Bournemouth and Marco Silva was appointed their head coach, on a three year deal, following his sacking by Watford.

They are one of the favorites for promotion and have made a solid start, currently sitting in 4th place on 16 points. Their two defeats to date being against Blackpool and last time out against Reading.

Fulham have dominated every time they have played - even the couple of matches they have lost. They have the most shots on target in the league with 53 and look really threatening in attack. We have, so far, had just 26 shots on target. We will certainly have to be clinical in attack (as we were at QPR) and take full advantage of the chances we create against a Fulham defence who have been very well drilled. As a team they are looking to bounce back from losing two out of their last three games.

Famous names like Johnny Haynes, Bobby Moore, Rodney Marsh and George Best have been part of the team through the years. Today there are of course a couple of familiar faces in their squad, Joe Bryan and Bobby De Cordova-Reid, two of our best academy players from recent times. Joe has recently clocked up his100th appearance for the Cottagers and scored twice in extra time in the play-off final victory against Brentford. They also have Mitrovic who is one of the best strikers in the Championship he won the Championship's golden boot the season they gained promotion and Mitro is their top scorer this campaign, the striker recently signed a new five-year contract. Fulham are the league’s top scorers with 18.

Our head-to-head record against them is lost 25, won 22 and drawn 16. We’ve only lost once in the last eight games against them. The last time we met at Ashton Gate it finished 1-1 a game in which they had 19 shots on goal, it was a game they probably should’ve won. Tom Cairney equalized in the 84th minute after Nahki Wells had put us ahead in front of a crowd of 23,796, which turned out to be the last game at AG with fans pre-lockdown.

We’ve had a week to regroup following our remarkable victory at the  Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium while on Tuesday they drew 0-0 with Leeds in the EFL Cup with Leeds winning on penalties.

Following the day-light robbery in West London last Saturday our starting line-up will be interesting, will NP start with Wells, the manager recently said: ‘It is really good to have healthy competition. For someone like Nahki it will be a big debate this week in whether he gets a start. It is a great problem to have.’ Another debate is whether Tanner and Bakinson will retain their places. NP has said that Andy King and Nathan Baker could be in contention. Fulham will be without Fabio Carvalh.

Today an attendance of 18,000 + is anticipated, Fulham have been allocated 2,300 tickets. Here’s a link to the match day programme: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/read-the-online-matchday-programme-city-v-fulham/

A few Fulham facts:

• Fulham’s original nickname was the Saints as when they were originally formed by a group of worshipers from a church in West Kensington they were known as Fulham St Andrew’s Church Sunday School FC.
  • England World Cup winner George Cohen made the last of his 459 appearances for Fulham against us at Ashton Gate on 1st March 1969, in league division 2, a game that we won 6-0! To jog memories here’s the match programme and here’s a bit more about that game: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-flashback-one-englands-3920542
  • Founded in 1879 Fulham are the oldest professional football club in London.
  • Fulham’s principle owner Shahid Khan is also the owner of NFL franchise the Jacksonville Jaguars, as well as the 2019 wrestling promotion All Elite Wrestling.
  • Craven Cottage was a venue for several football games during the 1948 Olympic Games held in London.
  • Hugh Grant and Richard Osman are two of their best known fans, this week Osman was pictured at Storysmith Books in Bedminster so maybe he’ll be at the game
  • World Mobile, a telecoms network that uses blockchain technology, is their new principal commercial partner.

To end here’s NP’s pre-match thoughts:

‘It would be a really good day if we can beat them. We know what they are, they are a side that passes the ball, they are quite expansive in possession, they like to play attractive, attacking football. What we have got to do is make it difficult for them to do that. They will be expecting this to be a tough game as well. It would be a great game to win but they all are, I don't care who I am playing against. It is about giving the opposition the respect they deserve but ultimately, as I always say, we judge ourselves against ourselves. That is the most important thing. When you have periods in a season of inconsistency, that is the most frustrating times when we can't replicate good performances, that is a frustration but I think generally thinking we have been more positive. And hopefully, for the players and our long-suffering fans we get a home win.’

C4E2EEDB-2648-4315-BD9A-C7803B2B17DE.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Robin 1

Realistically a point wouldn’t be a bad result, even if it does stretch the winless streak to 15 (fifteen) matches. 

Almost feel a performance is more important than a result today. We have played very poorly in our last two, maybe three games. A return of 5 points from the last three games flatters us big time if you ask me. 

I think the result could be any of the three. The performance is likely to be similar to the QPR game though. I expect Fulham to dominate, particularly in terms of chances, shots, and with much of the game played in our half. Fulham have taken 139 shots in just 8 games, with 54 hitting the target. Those are some very impressive figures and we will have to work incredibly hard to keep a clean sheet today. 

If Bentley is on form and we take one or two of the few chances we get - well then a result is possible, as we saw in the last game.

However, if we go behind early then I fear a 3-0 loss could be on the cards.

I feel like today that first goal is more important than it ever is.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Good day ‘long-suffering fans’ (as NP termed us this week) everywhere, Fulham this afternoon, however, before getting to that here’s an interesting comparison regarding our form:

Last eight games of 20/21: W0 D2 L6 F7 A18  Points = 2

First eight games of 21/22: W3 D3 L2 F10 A9  Points = 12

First eight games of last season, which everyone was raving about: W4 D2 L2 F11 A6 Points  = 14

On to today.

Very intense ex-manager Scott Parker had this to say when they were relegated from the Premiership last season, ‘I’m hurt, I’m gutted. There’s been disappointment this year, and we need to put our hands up, we need to get around a table, we need to understand where we want to go as a club, what we need to do.’ Shortly afterwards Parker decided where he wanted to go as he departed for Bournemouth and Marco Silva was appointed their head coach, on a three year deal, following his sacking by Watford.

They are one of the favorites for promotion and have made a solid start, currently sitting in 4th place on 16 points. Their two defeats to date being against Blackpool and last time out against Reading.

Fulham have dominated every time they have played - even the couple of matches they have lost. They have the most shots on target in the league with 53 and look really threatening in attack. We have, so far, had just 26 shots on target. We will certainly have to be clinical in attack (as we were at QPR) and take full advantage of the chances we create against a Fulham defence who have been very well drilled. As a team they are looking to bounce back from losing two out of their last three games.

Famous names like Johnny Haynes, Bobby Moore, Rodney Marsh and George Best have been part of the team through the years. Today there are of course a couple of familiar faces in their squad, Joe Bryan and Bobby De Cordova-Reid, two of our best academy players from recent times. Joe has recently clocked up his100th appearance for the Cottagers and scored twice in extra time in the play-off final victory against Brentford. They also have Mitrovic who is one of the best strikers in the Championship he won the Championship's golden boot the season they gained promotion and Mitro is their top scorer this campaign, the striker recently signed a new five-year contract. Fulham are the league’s top scorers with 18.

Our head-to-head record against them is lost 25, won 22 and drawn 16. We’ve only lost once in the last eight games against them. The last time we met at Ashton Gate it finished 1-1 a game in which they had 19 shots on goal, it was a game they probably should’ve won. Tom Cairney equalized in the 84th minute after Nahki Wells had put us ahead in front of a crowd of 23,796, which turned out to be the last game at AG with fans pre-lockdown.

We’ve had a week to regroup following our remarkable victory at the  Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium while on Tuesday they drew 0-0 with Leeds in the EFL Cup with Leeds winning on penalties.

Following the day-light robbery in West London last Saturday our starting line-up will be interesting, will NP start with Wells, the manager recently said: ‘It is really good to have healthy competition. For someone like Nahki it will be a big debate this week in whether he gets a start. It is a great problem to have.’ Another debate is whether Tanner and Bakinson will retain their places. NP has said that Andy King and Nathan Baker could be in contention. Fulham will be without Fabio Carvalh.

Today an attendance of 18,000 + is anticipated, Fulham have been allocated 2,300 tickets. Here’s a link to the match day programme: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/read-the-online-matchday-programme-city-v-fulham/

A few Fulham facts:

• Fulham’s original nickname was the Saints as when they were originally formed by a group of worshipers from a church in West Kensington they were known as Fulham St Andrew’s Church Sunday School FC.
  • England World Cup winner George Cohen made the last of his 459 appearances for Fulham against us at Ashton Gate on 1st March 1969, in league division 2, a game that we won 6-0! To jog memories here’s the match programme and here’s a bit more about that game: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-flashback-one-englands-3920542
  • Founded in 1879 Fulham are the oldest professional football club in London.
  • Fulham’s principle owner Shahid Khan is also the owner of NFL franchise the Jacksonville Jaguars, as well as the 2019 wrestling promotion All Elite Wrestling.
  • Craven Cottage was a venue for several football games during the 1948 Olympic Games held in London.
  • Hugh Grant and Richard Osman are two of their best known fans, this week Osman was pictured at Storysmith Books in Bedminster so maybe he’ll be at the game
  • World Mobile, a telecoms network that uses blockchain technology, is their new principal commercial partner.

To end here’s NP’s pre-match thoughts:

‘It would be a really good day if we can beat them. We know what they are, they are a side that passes the ball, they are quite expansive in possession, they like to play attractive, attacking football. What we have got to do is make it difficult for them to do that. They will be expecting this to be a tough game as well. It would be a great game to win but they all are, I don't care who I am playing against. It is about giving the opposition the respect they deserve but ultimately, as I always say, we judge ourselves against ourselves. That is the most important thing. When you have periods in a season of inconsistency, that is the most frustrating times when we can't replicate good performances, that is a frustration but I think generally thinking we have been more positive. And hopefully, for the players and our long-suffering fans we get a home win.’

C4E2EEDB-2648-4315-BD9A-C7803B2B17DE.jpeg

Great post JB… that 68/69 program brought back some memories… it was the first game as a young lad that I ever attended. My ol man told me before the game, “just watch Johnnie Haynes he’s class.. forget every one else.”.. Johnnie Haynes didn’t touch the ball and we won 6-0… ?

• Like 1