IGNORED

Fulham at home match-day thread

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I just heard a re-run of Nigel’s post match interview on RB - he said something along the lines of, when he came to Ashton Gate as an opposing player or manager they never expected to face a tenacious or physical Bristol City team, then he said his current Bristol City team are tenacious etc - a damning indictment of our club from years gone by from a prominent and respected ex player and current, very successful, manager ...

I think NP, given three years or more, will be superb for our club ... he’s probably correct, we’ve never been streetwise or physical and whenever I highlighted sides who were, such as any team managed by Warnock, I was always shouted down - some fans seem to want us to be a soft touch with a soft underbelly - NP wants to change this - and I’m right behind him ...

• Like 14
14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I just heard a re-run of Nigel’s post match interview on RB - he said something along the lines of, when he came to Ashton Gate as an opposing player or manager they never expected to face a tenacious or physical Bristol City team, then he said his current Bristol City team are tenacious etc - a damning indictment of our club from years gone by from a prominent and respected ex player and current, very successful, manager ...

I think NP, given three years or more, will be superb for our club ... he’s probably correct, we’ve never been streetwise or physical and whenever I highlighted sides who were, such as any team managed by Warnock, I was always shouted down - some fans seem to want us to be a soft touch with a soft underbelly - NP wants to change this - and I’m right behind him ...

I think NP's mellowed with age and his raw arrogance has dissipated, he comes across as less edgy.

Read his reaction how you may, he's saying all they right things, but I get a sense that whilst he's pleased with what he's achieved with these players he's decidedly frustrated at where he and we are in the game. For me that's great. He speaks with a resigned air of could/should be doing better, with the big, 'but' , it's a work in progress because of.......and we all know what those factors are. I like his slightly gritted teeth realism, not going overboard, keeping it balanced.

He's a 'serious' manager, the likes of which we've rarely had at AG.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

Enjoyed that game- in the end!

First half seemed quite even in some ways.

Was the goal offside? Looked it on Quest- our goal I mean, looked less clearcut on our own highlights but anyway might well have been. Yet should Chalobah have had a second yellow? Yes he should- things would have swung in our favour then.

We hung in there and we showed character- been watching the highlights again, seemed to vary some of our attacking moves which was good. Williams definitely made a positive impact, as for Bakinson he's probably best in a 3- moving forward ideally we should potentially have a CM 3 of Williams-James-Massengo in whatever order.

We missed some big chances- but so too did Fulham! On balance certainly happy with the point, would have taken it pre kickoff- well done to Tanner as well, didn't get overawed vs what is on paper the best squad in the League probably, the deepest certainly. Was worried about us throwing him.

One more note, 3 at the back with obviously DaSilva LWB but Weimann on the right! Brave but sometimes bravery gets rewarded, Palmer too- risk/reward. Thought there was a chance we could get picked apart once we had that shape, Is insane looking at it in writing- in a good way I mean! There are definitely potential tactical pitfalls to that shape.

Bentley

Kalas Atkinson Baker

Weimann Williams James DaSilva

Palmer

Martin Wells

It certainly has a feel of a win instead of the last couple of home draws where I walked away feeling like we had lost. 

Great game from both teams, really enjoyed seeing Tanner etc and I’m very hopeful for the future with our home grown and young players from elsewhere like Atkinson. This was the first game I really felt Nahki was ‘ours’ at last too, no lack of effort from him today.

I was a bit gutted Massengo missed out through injury, he would have loved it today.

13 hours ago, MrBibs said:

I thought the same as @BTRFTG real time that it might be offside and didn’t watch the replay. As Geoff Boycott used to say - Look in the paper tomorrow morning and you’ll see it wasn’t offside. Did the invader get ejected in the end? Saw a couple of stewards giving half-hearted pursuit but then lost sight of him. 

He ran out of his own accord, “yes alright I’m going” kind of way…

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, RedM said:

It certainly has a feel of a win instead of the last couple of home draws where I walked away feeling like we had lost. 

Great game from both teams, really enjoyed seeing Tanner etc and I’m very hopeful for the future with our home grown and young players from elsewhere like Atkinson. This was the first game I really felt Nahki was ‘ours’ at last too, no lack of effort from him today.

I was a bit gutted Massengo missed out through injury, he would have loved it today.

And our crossbar played a blinder again!

14 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Silva is claiming that our equaliser was clearly offside.  Did anyone see that? I missed the on-screen replay because I was watching the antics of the rather rotund pitch invader.

There were two City players in offside position as the shot was made by a third City player in the lead up to the goal.

I think I'm correct that as soon as their keeper saved the shot, then those two become onside again because the ball then comes from the opposition not a City player.

A bit like the goal about three years ago when Taylor Moore headed a ball to a clearly offside opponent behind him.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

As one who goes back to the Atyeo days, when Big John scored goals for fun without ever hurting a fly let alone big defenders, I wonder if his fifteen years of "Playing in a sporting manner" has been an influence on how we play.

Many City fans voice their disgust at the cheats like Warnock and their sides are here. Remember the ten minutes with a Rotherham player and serious head injury, followed by running straight back onto the pitch.

Pearson is correct. The game has changed and we must be more assertive than we have been for a long time. It doesn't mean cheating but a more legal aggressive attitude will prove beneficial to our performances and results. 

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

There were two City players in offside position as the shot was made by a third City player in the lead up to the goal.

I think I'm correct that as soon as their keeper saved the shot, then those two become onside again because the ball then comes from the opposition not a City player.

A bit like the goal about three years ago when Taylor Moore headed a ball to a clearly offside opponent behind him.

Whilst in principle what you say is right, the one exception as I always understood it was from a save by the goalie.

At the time we deserved the equaliser, as they had a good bit of luck not going down to ten, so I am losing no sleep at all about it…but it was offside.

Edit: to add ‘It is also not an offence if the ball was last deliberately played by an opponent (except for a deliberate save)’. As a minor aside, ‘save’ here is defined as by any player, eg a goal line clearance or block.

Edited by cityexile
3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Whilst in principle what you say is right, the one exception as I always understood it was from a save by the goalie.

At the time we deserved the equaliser, as they had a good bit of luck not going down to ten, so I am losing no sleep at all about it…but it was offside.

Just watching Quest and Swansea had a goal disallowed after the keeper saved it and it went to one of their players who buried it. He might have been offside from the initial shot though.

58 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Wrong. KP was in an offside position when the shot was taken, but he wasn't at that point deemed to have committed an offence. As soon as he touched the rebounded ball he becomes offside for the previous indiscretion. 

All would be much easier were they to flag offside players 'offside' immediately, not let play progress then pull them up.

19 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Wrong. KP was in an offside position when the shot was taken, but he wasn't at that point deemed to have committed an offence. As soon as he touched the rebounded ball he becomes offside for the previous indiscretion. 

All would be much easier were they to flag offside players 'offside' immediately, not let play progress then pull them up.

In the Prem, they do let it go far to far, but in this case the lino just got it wrong. He cannot flag immediately, as if the first shot goes in it is a goal. The moment Palmer touched it, it should have been flagged.

He is a good yard offside, so it’s not a close one. That does not mean it was an easy one to spot. The two defenders are coming back quickly, and are at least level by the time of the save. Unless the Lino had taken a mental picture at the time of the shot it will get missed. On this occasion not sure this is a case of letting play go and a late flag, more a case of just getting it wrong.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, cityexile said:

In the Prem, they do let it go far to far, but in this case the lino just got it wrong. He cannot flag immediately, as if the first shot goes in it is a goal. The moment Palmer touched it, it should have been flagged.

He is a good yard offside, so it’s not a close one. That does not mean it was an easy one to spot. The two defenders are coming back quickly, and are at least level by the time of the save. Unless the Lino had taken a mental picture at the time of the shot it will get missed. On this occasion not sure this is a case of letting play go and a late flag, more a case of just getting it wrong.

Yep it was wrong, as some of us said at the time. 

My pennyworth though is akin Shankly (later adopted by Doherty & Clough,) in that if an attacking player is in an offside position then he should be given offside, particularly if in the opposition box. Of course in those days players had to be 'interfering with play' and as adage ran, 'if he's on the pitch and not interfering with play what the hell is he doing?'

I think Law 11 disadvantages defenders who when running a line  have to consider whether or not the officials might conclude a player to be or is to become 'active'.  Too many ifs and buts' for me.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cityexile said:

He is a good yard offside, so it’s not a close one.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Yep it was wrong, as some of us said at the time. 

I must say, didn't notice at the time, Palmer seemed to be on the move .
Having seen it back it's and easy call you'd think. That said, where we are we have noticed the standard of Linesmen this year has been poor. Even the guy yesterday, who I though had been good, gave one offside (which may have been right) where he was clearly yards behind play and guessing while looking through a line of players. Time after time they have been miles away from "in line" and although it's not cost us yet, it has been a frustration. So I have to say it's nice to get the rub of the green for a change.

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I think that's possibly right, I've been trying to look up confirmation of that, but can't find anything.

1 hour ago, foghornred said:

They should have been down to 10 players as the yellow should have been RED for a two footed lung and even after that he did a couple of fouls the could have been yellow, no wonder they took him off at half time !

He must have committed at least 3 just after, Ref bottled it. Should have been talked to after the one shortly after the booking, but to let him just carry on was a joke.

• Like 1