IGNORED

Joe Williams

pl00peh91

1 minute ago, pl00peh91 said:

Thought he changed the game for us in the second half and a big improvement on Bakinson. Enjoyed the fact that he always seemed to look forward for a pass and was getting around the pitch well too for someone who has returned from such a lengthy injury. Hopefully he will be a settled starter for us in the near future next to James.

Don't forget about Massengo. He had a good run lately. Joe Williams looks like a smart lad and we really need a more creative midfielder. Bakinson is worse than it was last season to be honest. He has to be the 3rd choice nad a cover player at the moment.

Just now, Mihai said:

Don't forget about Massengo. He had a good run lately. Joe Williams looks like a smart lad and we really need a more creative midfielder. Bakinson is worse than it was last season to be honest. He has to be the 3rd choice nad a cover player at the moment.

Massengo’s long term future is further up the pitch. No need to play him next to James in my opinion.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Just now, pl00peh91 said:

Massengo’s long term future is further up the pitch. No need to play him next to James in my opinion.

Yea, I think the same but I was thinking you don't want him in the team. I see HNM as an attacking midfielder or something closer to the 18 yard-box.

Could understand him not starting as likely not fully match fit.

Think this system needs two mobile but strong midfielders in the double pivot. I don't see Baks suiting this system if I'm being honest.

That aside. 100% JW changed the game when he came on. Simply quicker on the deck and combative when he had to be which we were lacking.

Cemented his name on the teamsheet as it stands for next match if Han is out still.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

What a tackle on Robinson.

Williams looked so sharp. James had a fantastic game. Said start of the season that will be the preferred pair.

If Massengo is back soon then he could well be played wide right.

Agreed - I think Weimann should be given a rest soon if HNM is fit, we should play Wells and Martin up front with HNM wide right and Weimann as the super sub with the fast press on tiring defenders.

• Like 2

Just now, JonDolman said:

Yeah he is what you describe but also Williams and James are in that position too. I think Massengo could offer more in beating players in the final third or out wide. Or other options could be Williams wide right with Massengo alongside James. Or play all 3 in a different system of 4141/433. But I think Nige wants to ideally play 2 up top.

Exactly, the first goal against QPR is a classic example of what he can do and he will do it regularly with more experience and confidence!

Just now, JonDolman said:

Yeah he is what you describe but also Williams and James are in that position too. I think Massengo could offer more in beating players in the final third or out wide. Or other options could be Williams wide right with Massengo alongside James. Or play all 3 in a different system of 4141/433. But I think Nige wants to ideally play 2 up top.

What a dilemma... A nice one, but still tricky to work out! Can Williams play wide right? I've no idea tbh 

Williams was always brought in to be the main man in the middle. Obviously it hasn't worked out how everyone wanted so its great to see him back now. Hopefully he can stay fit, basically a new signing so if him and James can make those 2 central positions there it will be the first time in about 3/4 years we have a reliable midfield. Would rather see Palmer play in front of them than Massengo. He's more likely to contribute with goals/assists. Nice to see we have healthy competition in the middle for once. It seems like the last 2 seasons we've had a lot of midfielders but none of them any good. Nige can hopefully get the best out of all of them. 

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Let’s be honest, Bakinson was a total passenger, he contributed virtually nothing in his time on the pitch.

Williams did well & fingers crossed he can now stay fit, but on that evidence King should play before Bakinson does again.

I think Bakinson would be better in games where we’ll likely have more of the ball, not less. Not sure today was the right match for him but certain games he’ll do a job & create from deep.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I think Bakinson would be better in games where we’ll likely have more of the ball, not less. Not sure today was the right match for him but certain games he’ll do a job & create from deep.

Or perhaps just not playing?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Let’s be honest, Bakinson was a total passenger, he contributed virtually nothing in his time on the pitch.

Williams did well & fingers crossed he can now stay fit, but on that evidence King should play before Bakinson does again.

Was a tough game for Tyreeq.  Fulham simply too good for him in their structured passing and movement.  That’s not a criticism, just is what it is.

Williams, exactly what we’ve needed in CM….means James doesn’t have to play every minute either.  Dynamic player, can do a bit of everything.  Made a big difference.  Just need to build his minutes up.

A big positive today.

One small point….great man-management from Nige with Palmer.  Many fans would’ve left him out today after the u23s game.  Good words from Nige in the press interview pre-match.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Surely he has to play three at the back in future though?  Baker is too good a defender to leave out.  I’d like to see:

Bentley

Kalas Atkinson Baker

Massengo James Williams Dasilva

Palmer

Wells Weimann

Massengo is good but I’m not sure he can pull off wing back! 

• Like 3