IGNORED

Joe Williams

pl00peh91

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was a tough game for Tyreeq.  Fulham simply too good for him in their structured passing and movement.  That’s not a criticism, just is what it is.

Williams, exactly what we’ve needed in CM….means James doesn’t have to play every minute either.  Dynamic player, can do a bit of everything.  Made a big difference.  Just need to build his minutes up.

A big positive today.

One small point….great man-management from Nige with Palmer.  Many fans would’ve left him out today after the u23s game.  Good words from Nige in the press interview pre-match.

Yep, but I lost count of the times he watched James put in a challenge, cover a runner, win an aerial battle, he simply didn’t do anywhere near enough.

Delighted for Williams & agree he can help James & I for one wouldn’t rule Andy King out, if he has more of a bit part role he won’t let us down.

Totally right re Palmer, very smart by Nige today & it paid off.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, but I lost count of the times he watched James put in a challenge, cover a runner, win an aerial battle, he simply didn’t do anywhere near enough.

Delighted for Williams & agree he can help James & I for one wouldn’t rule Andy King out, if he has more of a bit part role he won’t let us down.

Totally right re Palmer, very smart by Nige today & it paid off.

Bakinson cannot play in a 2 as has zero mobility.  No doubt he has talent when passing but when we play 4-4-2 he should be no where near the team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pl00peh91 said:

Thought he changed the game for us in the second half and a big improvement on Bakinson. Enjoyed the fact that he always seemed to look forward for a pass and was getting around the pitch well too for someone who has returned from such a lengthy injury. Hopefully he will be a settled starter for us in the near future next to James.

James does need legs around him . Excellent player but not the most mobile . Harrison Reed coming on playing in that area between Kalas & Tanner caused problems, dragging james across & giving their number 24 acres of space on the middle . Don’t like james & Bakinson together personally . Would like to see a midfield three of james,  massengo  & williams 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

James does need legs around him . Excellent player but not the most mobile . Harrison Reed coming on playing in that area between Kalas & Tanner caused problems, dragging james across & giving their number 24 acres of space on the middle . Don’t like james & Bakinson together personally . Would like to see a midfield three of james,  massengo  & williams 

Agreed. Add Pring on the left, and get a quality right-winger/forward in and I think that’s a very decent starting XI for this level. 4-3-3/4-5-1

I’ve just recalled another JW highlight today.

About 65-70 in, Kalas was lining up a long throw - which today worked quite well. For the first time since he’s started doing them, one of our players ran in to receive the ball instead - Williams. Quick take and ball back led to a great ball from Kalas narrowly headed over by Wells.

We all think the throws can be predictable- do that every now and again and they won’t be

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think it was on about 70-75 minutes, edge of their box, he practically went through two and got the ball. One of those where you can see how he gets yellows, but jeez - that’s commitment

Shout out to Tanner for the same today as well

That double tackle by tanner in the first half of which the first one was heard around the ground i think .. then the follow up as well would have given him a huge boost . Thought he was decent and those two games will have helped him realise he’s not out of his depth in this division… 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tin said:

Agreed. Add Pring on the left, and get a quality right-winger/forward in and I think that’s a very decent starting XI for this level. 4-3-3/4-5-1

To be honest I think Pring had his worst game for us today . He found it tough . No disgrace in that against a very good side. 
we’ve got a tight squad with competition for places. 

• Like 1

Williams definitely made a difference when he came on, in particular there were some tackles that were hard but in my opinion fair which the ref allowed but he would probably not got away with them a year ago. However I feel some of the criticism of Bakinson is unfair. He didn't have his best game in a City shirt but that happens with young players. There was an inference he didn't move us forward but my main complaint about Tyreeq is that he tries to play every ball forward when a simple sideways or backwards pass would be better. 

44 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

To be honest I think Pring had his worst game for us today . He found it tough . No disgrace in that against a very good side. 
we’ve got a tight squad with competition for places. 

Agreed, although I doubt he’s come up against the likes of Odoi, who I’ve always rated at this level, and Wilson before. Steep learning curve for the lad.

36 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Williams definitely made a difference when he came on, in particular there were some tackles that were hard but in my opinion fair which the ref allowed but he would probably not got away with them a year ago. However I feel some of the criticism of Bakinson is unfair. He didn't have his best game in a City shirt but that happens with young players. There was an inference he didn't move us forward but my main complaint about Tyreeq is that he tries to play every ball forward when a simple sideways or backwards pass would be better. 

He doesn’t compliment james imo as neither are that mobile . It’s not his fault , he’s languid . It’s his style. My problem is he can be lazy on the ball. Against a team you really don’t want to give the ball away to he gave three blind passes first half that nearly put us in trouble . He has to rid that of his game , he did it last season as well. It seems massengo will miss at least another two games so you need energy around james. Williams starts during the week for me. Especially against millwall . 

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He doesn’t compliment james imo as neither are that mobile . It’s not his fault , he’s languid . It’s his style. My problem is he can be lazy on the ball. Against a team you really don’t want to give the ball away to he gave three blind passes first half that nearly put us in trouble . He has to rid that of his game , he did it last season as well. It seems massengo will miss at least another two games so you need energy around james. Williams starts during the week for me. Especially against millwall . 

Agree re no look passes, doesn’t seem to adjust his game depending on where he is on the pitch. Their final third, risk/reward probably justified, our final third, play it safe/sensible. 

Also agree re Williams starting in terms of performance, just wonder, given how he’s struggled coming back from injuries previously, if Rennie will insist on a more gradual approach. If so, hopefully King fit enough to start as whilst lacks energy of Massengo, has looked solid and has great positional awareness. 

3 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Agree re no look passes, doesn’t seem to adjust his game depending on where he is on the pitch. Their final third, risk/reward probably justified, our final third, play it safe/sensible. 

Also agree re Williams starting in terms of performance, just wonder, given how he’s struggled coming back from injuries previously, if Rennie will insist on a more gradual approach. If so, hopefully King fit enough to start as whilst lacks energy of Massengo, has looked solid and has great positional awareness. 

Possibly yes. However williams has been in the squad the last few weeks . Judging on what I saw on YouTube of him in a wigan shirt & today . Joe williams doesn’t know how to hold back . 
Today was a big test , coming in cold ish and dictating play to a certain extent . Getting the ball off the back three & starting attacks . Also noticed how that allowed dasilva to get much higher up the pitch & tick inside allowing baker to receive the ball wider.

This squad is evolving quicker than expected . Early days & we’ll be inconsistent but really enjoying watching it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Surely he has to play three at the back in future though?  Baker is too good a defender to leave out.  I’d like to see:

Bentley

Kalas Atkinson Baker

Massengo James Williams Dasilva

Palmer

Wells Weimann

The big advantage of a 3 at the back is due to the fact that the 3 best defenders at the club are centre backs. Our full backs are not at the same level, seen again today. Tanner definitely an improvment on the right, but it must be tempting to play the back three because the wide men are our weakness. I'd like to see a 3 again as it also answers some of attacking problems, seen when Weiman moved to right wing back. Good options to have.

Just now, intercity said:

The big advantage of a 3 at the back is due to the fact that the 3 best defenders at the club are centre backs. Our full backs are not at the same level, seen again today. Tanner definitely an improvment on the right, but it must be tempting to play the back three because the wide men are our weakness. I'd like to see a 3 again as it also answers some of attacking problems, seen when Weiman moved to right wing back. Good options to have.

We didn’t start with a 3 though did we ? Looked like 4411 with wiemann doing the massengo narrowing off the right with Pring off the left . Definitely didn’t shape as a back 3 until baker came on 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

We didn’t start with a 3 though did we ? Looked like 4411 with wiemann doing the massengo narrowing off the right with Pring off the left . Definitely didn’t shape as a back 3 until baker came on 

Yes it was a back four initially. I thought we played quite well first half like that, but was always a bit worried about our left side. Dasilva and Pring didn't fill me with confidence and I think Pring was below par. The first part of the second half was very one sided and once Williams and Baker came on, that changed. Well done to Pearson and the team, it looked like we might fold just before 60mins. We didn't and I thought having that back 3, with our  est defenders, was a big part of that.

And Williams too of course.

• Like 1