IGNORED

Quicker, slicker and better

Robbored

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Why is it ludicrous?  Wouldn’t you like City playing like Fulham did today?    :dunno:

They were excellent throughout the game and City did well to escape with a point. I’m hoping that Nige will get City performing regularly as Fulham did during his stay at AG

Because of this;

Seri £25m, Mitrovic £22m, Wilson £12m, Reid £10m, Onomah £5m, the guy they brought in 2 minutes from the end (Cavaleiro) cost £15m, another sub Reed £6m, 2 of their unused subs Mawson £20m, Bryan £6m & Chalobah cost £3m.

I know you barely know who our players are, let alone the opposition, but surely even you can understand that opponents who had spent well over £100m on the squad they put out today, have a bit of an advantage?

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Because of this;

Seri £25m, Mitrovic £22m, Wilson £12m, Reid £10m, Onomah £5m, the guy they brought in 2 minutes from the end (Cavaleiro) cost £15m, another sub Reed £6m, 2 of their unused subs Mawson £20m, Bryan £6m & Chalobah cost £3m.

I know you barely know who our players are, let alone the opposition, but surely even you can understand that opponents who had spent well over £100m on the squad they put out today, have a bit of an advantage?

I posted just now that clubs with parachute payments have a significant advantage - you must have overlooked that post……………:cool2:

My point is that it’s not necessary to spend mega bucks to adopt the style that Fulham adopted today and that over his three contract Nige could get City playing in a similar way……He’ll have several transfer windows to recruit the players that he feels he’ll need.

I can see why Bryan can't get a game with that lad in front of him at left back.

Other than that, I thought they were fairly insipid in the first half and, other than looking pretty on the edge of the box, weren't really getting anywhere.

I said to the guys around me at half time that Reid was wasted on the left and that I thought they would make a change to move him centrally. Unfortunately I was right and his movement and crisp passing was a real problem for the second half.

However, I thought the response to going 1 down was superb and their goalkeeper had to pull out a couple of good saves before we scored. Their defender did well to just get enough of Wells to stop him getting his header on target, Baker should have scored too.

Yes they kept hitting the woodwork, but both sides had 5 shots on target, their misses were just a bit closer than ours. 

That was not a backs to the wall performance by any means.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Packman said:

Some fans just find it impossible to give City any credit whatsoever, we were fantastic today and created some brilliant opportunities. Fulham have some quality players but have only won 1 of their last 5 games losing to Blackpool and Reading, yes they'll probably have enough to go up this season but let's just calm down a bit.

A brilliant game of football.

Different xG models, but a semblance of equality on chances created.

AD545786-1A22-46AD-BD15-C7A206F922C0.thumb.jpeg.0f345fb0b54b7cc198aa5c0087c1b4e9.jpeg

9EA0A186-4427-48BF-BC41-EE08249D8E32.thumb.jpeg.375dfbc7e2b003ee40bc8e14beb7f0a7.jpeg

5 hours ago, petehinton said:

Pearson deserves a lot of credit for the subs and change of shape. Every one of them had a huge impact. Williams made a huge difference, everything was quicker and more urgent vs a pedestrian laid back Bakinson. 

I’d also love to hear from those that were saying Palmer was overweight with a bad attitude not too long ago, after asking to play in the u23s game in midweek to get himself back in the squad, finishing the week by scoring a ridiculous equaliser & clapping the fans topless at FT looking absolutely ******* ripped ????

I said on Friday that I thought Nige handled the pre-match interview really well re Palmer, and his man-management got it’s rewards today.  Kasey rewarded for wanting to play for the u23s, Nige for not reading too much into his actual performance and focusing more on the attitude of wanting to play, and telling the press this.

And Kasey made a youngster’s day by handing him his shirt at the end too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

Parachute payments 1 Football 0 

Parachute payments are a Red Herring.

When Fulham signed Mitrovic (albeit on loan) we were all set for promotion/playoffs, they were squarely mid table having started the season woefully. Boxing Day we beat Reading to go into the automatic spots but the run of luck for the non-striker Reid was running out. Despite respective positions both were struggling upfront to push on.

Winter transfer window they took punt in paying Mitrovic's extortionate wage demand, we signed Liam Walsh (having already signed the likes of 'The Bloke From Knowle, Elliason and Baker that summer for big money.) 

And the rest is history. Mitrovic scored 11 goals to get them to 3rd (only 2 fewer than TBFK scored all season.) They finished 3rd, 21 points above us in 11th. We took 20 points from a possible 66 and rarely looked like scoring once the cup runs were done and dusted.

Recall Fulham beat Villa in the playoff final that year. Occasionally fortune does favour the brave.

15 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

When Fulham signed Mitrovic (albeit on loan) we were all set for promotion/playoffs, they were squarely mid table having started the season woefully. Boxing Day we beat Reading to go into the automatic spots but the run of luck for the non-striker Reid was running out. Despite respective positions both were struggling upfront to push on.

Winter transfer window they took punt in paying Mitrovic's extortionate wage demand, we signed Liam Walsh (having already signed the likes of 'The Bloke From Knowle, Elliason and Baker that summer for big money.) 

And the rest is history. Mitrovic scored 11 goals to get them to 3rd (only 2 fewer than TBFK scored all season.) They finished 3rd, 21 points above us in 11th. We took 20 points from a possible 66 and rarely looked like scoring once the cup runs were done and dusted.

Recall Fulham beat Villa in the playoff final that year. Occasionally fortune does favour the brave.

Parachute payments 1 Football ) your reply is a red herring. 

5 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Parachute payments 1 Football ) your reply is a red herring. 

Agree, what a totally ridiculous post.

There’s a reason Norwich, West Brom, Watford, Fulham are on a cycle of promotion & relegation & it’s called parachute payments.

The players quoted here that we signed in total were less than Mitrovic was alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

There’s a reason Norwich, West Brom, Watford, Fulham are on a cycle of promotion & relegation & it’s called parachute payments.

The players quoted here that we signed in total were less than Mitrovic was alone.

They took Mitrovic on loan and signed him with Premier money once promoted.

The other clubs you list succeeded as they took talent on loans but paid high wages. We took the option of signing coachloads of crap on decent money.

Stats don't lie, we're top of the tree when it comes to clubs who could have made The Premier but haven't. Minnows have overtaken us in the interim. 50 clubs have played there, strip out clubs who because of size and resource are unlikely ever to have the chance and who does that leave? City could have received parachutes payments but weren't good enough owing to poor investment decisions.

Odd also you've an issue with parachute payments but daren't mention the disproportionate sums Championship clubs take in solidarity payments from The Premier. Is that fair to lower league clubs?

Felt like football had finally arrived back at Ashton Gate after poor football for a few years now. We battled and rode our luck for sure and Fulham where very wasteful. 
I do fear we might get a hiding sooner or later when a more clinical side take their chance . 
Atmosphere was good and I think this helped the players in the spell we had in the last twenty of the second half 

37 minutes ago, shelts said:

Felt like football had finally arrived back at Ashton Gate after poor football for a few years now. We battled and rode our luck for sure and Fulham where very wasteful. 
I do fear we might get a hiding sooner or later when a more clinical side take their chance . 
Atmosphere was good and I think this helped the players in the spell we had in the last twenty of the second half 

I’d say we’ve just played 2 of the best 4/5 footballing (passing) teams in the Champ in Fulham and QPR.  I’m really interested in how we go about Millwall and Peterborough.  Would really like to think we won’t be conceding 20+ shots against them, or that’s a trend we need to seriously look at.

If open football means more shots for us and more against, as fans we might have to accept what goes with it, and thats a more clinical team punishing us.

I hope we can start to change the trend and it be City that are getting the balance going the “right way”.

The upcoming break will be a good place to review where we are.

• Like 1

It was one of those games you know is going to be a good watch before you've even set off for the match. 

For me it answers the question would you prefer a very dull 1-0 win home to Millwall or yesterdays 1-1 

Yesterday's every time for me, of course the occasional win in a game like yesterday's would be ideal. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

They were also in the 4th of 4 years as it was then, of Parachute Payments at that time.

Yoyo clubs now get 'only' 2 years and those who are in more than one season get 3.

IIRC, our January signings were Walsh, plus loans of Kent and Diony.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The odd thing about Fulham, unlike some of the others you listed is that they haven't really sold anyone of note. Even parachute clubs often sell notable players in Year 1 which can help a bit.

WBA- Pereira, and some in 2019/20 promotion season ie Rodriguez.

Norwich- They often do anyway. Aarons and the guy who went to Everton are two. There might have been more.

Watford- Amongst others Deulofeu and Pererya went of Italy.

Sheffield United have sold Ramsdale for good money and decent numbers were released. 

Fulham however, despite probably less FFP headroom than the above have added Wilson, Muniz, Chalobah, some other guy from Watford and Gazzaniga on a free. I don't see any attempt to offset through a significant player sale even.

Bournemouth sold and released loads as well Summer 2020.  Danjuma and some others this summer. They maybe frontloaded a bit between year 1 and 2.

I don't see where Fulham have done this?

21 hours ago, firstdivision said:

A point was a great result. They sliced us open so often in the second half. Thank god they couldn’t finish. 
I’d love us to play football like that but I think it’ll be the percentages for quite a while yet. 
Should have had no points from the last three games really but somehow we’ve got five. Teams love rattling the frame of our goal.

Wells could of had a hatrick as well . Yea they missed chances but so did we. 

27 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Wells could of had a hatrick as well . Yea they missed chances but so did we. 

Agreed, some just notice the ones the opposition have and missed, but ignore our own chances missed.

The first chance Wells had was a miskick from Kalas throw in - certain goal if he didn't have his laces tied together. He had a volley from a cross which could/should have gone in, and the third was a header that he should have got on target. Another day, a hat trick. Also Baker had a couple of chances with one a free header that should have been scored imo - he headed it in the right direction across the goal but just a tad too high.

We had our chances as well as them and should have been playing against 10 men before half time.

With the money they've spent on players I expected them to dictate the game, which they did to an extent, but not to the level they probably expected.

Their manager summed them up for me when he was banging on about our offside goal - no mention about the non sending off of his player which would probably have shifted the game in our favour or about his teams shit finishing. 

Fully deserved point for City.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’d say we’ve just played 2 of the best 4/5 footballing (passing) teams in the Champ in Fulham and QPR.  I’m really interested in how we go about Millwall and Peterborough.  Would really like to think we won’t be conceding 20+ shots against them, or that’s a trend we need to seriously look at.

If open football means more shots for us and more against, as fans we might have to accept what goes with it, and thats a more clinical team punishing us.

I hope we can start to change the trend and it be City that are getting the balance going the “right way”.

The upcoming break will be a good place to review where we are.

I like to be entertained and we Played our part in a highly entertaining game . It takes two teams to make a good match and I’m in no doubt where a bit too open and lack concentration at times . Certainly feel where heading in the right direction .

• Like 2