IGNORED

George Tanner

Port Said Red

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Welcome to the Championship son, you certainly won the crowd over very quickly.

I hope someone with a bit of tech knowledge makes a meme out of that crunching tackle in the first half, it was like something from the Gerry Gow era!

Brilliant tackle that will be long remembered.

(in the same manner as a Jamie McCombe tackle at Carlisle, some years ago).

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

Promising, but I think Kebano coming on showed the class he may struggle against at this level.

He’s already the best RB we’ve got and he showed he could handle it at this level until he tired in the late stages. He won’t come up against much better opponents than that this season and when he can get his fitness levels up he’ll be better for longer.  Bright prospect yes, because hes still young, but also should be our starting RB on a regular basis from now.  Really showed us what we’ve missed having two decent proper fullbacks playing. 

Thing here is this. He’s playing first half against Antonee Robinson, probably the best left back in the division, and Bobby Reid - out of position slightly but we know his qualities. He’s playing with Weimann in front of him, who will work exceptionally hard but isn’t a natural LM. He’s then playing second half against Robinson and Kabano. In his second game at this level. Three weeks ago he was playing teams of the gas standard, not lower end prem players.

And he did absolutely fine. 

Nige likes “defenders who can defend” - he did that in spades. Really happy with that as a home debut 

• Like 19

9 hours ago, Bristol_Badger said:

Hope he does well.

2 nervy games for him but let’s see how he gets on.

I really hope we can coach and develop him in to a real player 

Not sure it could be described as “nervy”, this is an enormous step up for the lad, he was playing against Hartlepool in a league game last month.

Aside from the 2 challenges, which definitely endeared him to the crowd, his pace bailed us out on a number of occasions first half when they hit accurate balls for channel runners.

My only slight criticism was an occasional tendency to clear it anywhere rather than to try & find a man, but as I said at the start, he was playing L2 last month & at 21 he has plenty of time to improve.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure it could be described as “nervy”, this is an enormous step up for the lad, he was playing against Hartlepool in a league game last month.

Aside from the 2 challenges, which definitely endeared him to the crowd, his pace bailed us out on a number of occasions first half when they hit accurate balls for channel runners.

My only slight criticism was an occasional tendency to clear it anywhere rather than to try & find a man, but as I said at the start, he was playing L2 last month & at 21 he has plenty of time to improve.

But on those occasions there wasn't to many options to play to a man with enough space to not put us under pressure so he played the ball into channels hoping someone could latch onto it. Couldn't really fault him for playing it safe this early in his City career.

2 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Anticipation of the crowd for that challenge coming in and he didn't shy away from it and won the second one too. More of this please!

Would like to see him step forward and offer a bit more going forward but good signs from him so far and will get better.

I think being new to this level he's playing cautious/within himself..

Allowing himself to find his feet.

He's gonna be a good 'un!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Great work Jon, I must admit from the South Stand I thought that was further into their half.

Real tackle that, a bit of a throw- back moment he showed his bravery, determination and speed, and they both got straight up and carried on and the ref didn’t get involved, which too often happens these days when there’s been a crunching tackle. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Real tackle that, a bit of a throw- back moment he showed his bravery, determination and speed, and they both got straight up and carried on and the ref didn’t get involved, which too often happens these days when there’s been a crunching tackle. 

I thought the ref did a good job yesterday telling players a few times to get up and get on with it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

He’s already the best RB we’ve got and he showed he could handle it at this level until he tired in the late stages. He won’t come up against much better opponents than that this season and when he can get his fitness levels up he’ll be better for longer.  Bright prospect yes, because hes still young, but also should be our starting RB on a regular basis from now.  Really showed us what we’ve missed having two decent proper fullbacks playing. 

See below.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thing here is this. He’s playing first half against Antonee Robinson, probably the best left back in the division, and Bobby Reid - out of position slightly but we know his qualities. He’s playing with Weimann in front of him, who will work exceptionally hard but isn’t a natural LM. He’s then playing second half against Robinson and Kabano. In his second game at this level. Three weeks ago he was playing teams of the gas standard, not lower end prem players.

And he did absolutely fine. 

Nige likes “defenders who can defend” - he did that in spades. Really happy with that as a home debut 

And he played against the second best LB (LWB) on debut last week….Norwich’s on-loan Sam McCallum.  Tough baptism, hes come though both really well imho.  He’s a helluva find.  Credit to the recruitment team….I do like a signing from nowhere (Carlisle!!!).

I thought he covered in behind Kalas well too, when Mitrovic dropped deep and they had runners in behind.  Really bodes well for the future.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I thought the ref did a good job yesterday telling players a few times to get up and get on with it.

There players surrounding the ref at the end made my laugh, if I had been the ref I think I would have said "don't have a go at me, I didn't miss your chances". :)

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Two words came into my head when I witnessed that tackle.

Norman

Hunter

That ball is mine, get some of this!

George hasn't got the reputation yet, if that had been Norman, their player would have pulled out of that challenge a couple of yards earlier. :)

3 minutes ago, bris red said:

That tackle in the first half was worth the admission fee alone!
He looks a good prospect to me clearly not the finished article but the potential is clearly there.

The last I saw a RB tackle like that was Mark Little on Grealish v Villa in 16/17, when we win 3-1.  We were struggling and about half hour in he crunched Grealish (fairly).  It changed the whole mood of the game.  Second half we were brilliant.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bris red said:

That tackle in the first half was worth the admission fee alone!
He looks a good prospect to me clearly not the finished article but the potential is clearly there.

It was a cracking tackle. It got the crowd up and sent out a statement that we’re not going to make it easy for you. Such a difference to last year.

50 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Two words came into my head when I witnessed that tackle.

Norman

Hunter

That ball is mine, get some of this!

Yep...dear Norm!

Simpson stands off there as he knows he can't get there ..

And Vyner likely does the same as to hit it like that isn't really in his nature?

We've unearthed a gem.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The same ref who bottled sending off the Fulham player?

Missed some obvious shirt tugging as well my Mitrovic in the run up to another chance as well.

The Harrison Read foul on James was awful as well. He played advantage, and then didn't come back and book him. 

So that's two Fulham players that got away without a second yellow (Read, and Chalobah)

I think the refs are obviously under instruction this season to let the game flow as much as possible. But the balance wasn't there for me yesterday at all.

• Like 1