IGNORED

George Tanner

Port Said Red

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Welcome to the Championship son, you certainly won the crowd over very quickly.

I hope someone with a bit of tech knowledge makes a meme out of that crunching tackle in the first half, it was like something from the Gerry Gow era!

Great cross (i think) for the Wells header as well.

For me, he looked like a  proper RB playing in the RB position. As opposed to Vyner or Kalas trying to play there. 

Yes, he's still raw; and it's a massive leap between L2 to Champ (playing in essence Prem players yesterday). 

But he showed willingness to get stuck in, athletic ability and courage as well. All great signs for the future.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The same ref who bottled sending off the Fulham player?

To clarify I think he allowed for a good game to happen, which isn't always the case.

I don't think any ref would have sent that Fulham player off, refs are usually lenient with players that are on a yellow and it seems to have to be clear that a players has lost control for a second yellow.

Might not be strictly to the rules but it's pragmatic.

• Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Missed some obvious shirt tugging as well my Mitrovic in the run up to another chance as well.

The Harrison Read foul on James was awful as well. He played advantage, and then didn't come back and book him. 

So that's two Fulham players that got away without a second yellow (Read, and Chalobah)

I think the refs are obviously under instruction this season to let the game flow as much as possible. But the balance wasn't there for me yesterday at all.

100%, I also think if he had booked Reed for that dreadful kick at James it alters his game, makes him less likely to fly in.

The Mitrovic shirt pulling (on Atkinson?) was so blatant, incredible it was missed.

4 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Great cross (i think) for the Wells header as well.

For me, he looked like a  proper RB playing in the RB position. As opposed to Vyner or Kalas trying to play there. 

Yes, he's still raw; and it's a massive leap between L2 to Champ (playing in essence Prem players yesterday). 

But he showed willingness to get stuck in, athletic ability and courage as well. All great signs for the future.

Wasn’t it Kalas who made the cross for Wells.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

See below.

And he played against the second best LB (LWB) on debut last week….Norwich’s on-loan Sam McCallum.  Tough baptism, hes come though both really well imho.  He’s a helluva find.  Credit to the recruitment team….I do like a signing from nowhere (Carlisle!!!).

I thought he covered in behind Kalas well too, when Mitrovic dropped deep and they had runners in behind.  Really bodes well for the future.

Thought some of his positioning first half (in front of me )  was top drawer as well . Things changing recruitment wise with him & Atkinson coming in from lower leagues . 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Agree.

I'd red card his parents for their spelling however.

He's American they like to be different but he is probably the best left back in the championship.

Tanner had a few moments yesterday but he is still learning and pretty much all of that Fulham team have prem experience and international experience he gave a fantastic account of himself and will only improve.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Agree.

I'd red card his parents for their spelling however.

That’s nothing on Anfernee Dijksteel….Anfernee is a bit Bristolian I reckons!!!

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Thought some of his positioning first half (in front of me )  was top drawer as well . Things changing recruitment wise with him & Atkinson coming in from lower leagues . 

I was generally quite happy when they played down their left, Tanner’s side.  Weimann and Tanner did a decent job first half, causing Reid to come infield, into congestion.  I was more worried when they played central / their right-half, especially when Onomah ran off the back of Bakinson, after Mitrovic came short.

On a side note, Mitrovic, what a brilliant example of standing still to create space.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I thought the same. I was really impressed by Tanner. I loved his tackles but I also thought his positioning was good too. Bodes well given this was Fulham and some of their movement was Premier League class. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sleepy1968 said:

This was right in front of me. I thought "No way he's getting there. Oh, he's committed himself, let's hope he makes it. He's going to break a leg, and it might be his own. [Big cheer] . Thank F for that!".

It was 60/40 against him and heart in mouth moment. Neither backed out and both got up straight away which was good to see. 

I think its fair to say that he likes a tackle.

• Like 3

Still very early days for young George, but you hope this is one where the step-up from Lg2 to Championship is slightly mitigated by his youth career at Man Utd…where he will have been coached well (despite what Chris Beech said).  He will now be playing with better players too.  No disrespect to Carlisle, but the 50+ clips I watched of him v Hartlepool his centre-backs looked bloody awful.

As per many other players, it’s more about how they play after the initial flurry of games.

Massengo plateaued - tactics in sone respects.

Bakinson plateaued as teams sussed him out.

Pring has now had two very ordinary games too….yet to complete a 90 either (I don’t have an issue with that, he’s been at full-tilt for 65-70 each game).

Sometimes you need to take them out of the firing line for a period, e.g. Alex Scott.

Nige will pick and choose how to expose them throughout the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Still very early days for young George, but you hope this is one where the step-up from Lg2 to Championship is slightly mitigated by his youth career at Man Utd…where he will have been coached well (despite what Chris Beech said).  He will now be playing with better players too.  No disrespect to Carlisle, but the 50+ clips I watched of him v Hartlepool his centre-backs looked bloody awful.

As per many other players, it’s more about how they play after the initial flurry of games.

Massengo plateaued - tactics in sone respects.

Bakinson plateaued as teams sussed him out.

Pring has now had two very ordinary games too….yet to complete a 90 either (I don’t have an issue with that, he’s been at full-tilt for 65-70 each game).

Sometimes you need to take them out of the firing line for a period, e.g. Alex Scott.

Nige will pick and choose how to expose them throughout the season.

Regarding Pring, I think we’ll see O’Dowda come back into the side. Nige always talks about players coming into the side, that they have to take their chance of staying there.

Overall Pring has done well so far, but with 3 games in a week, we might see a change on that left hand side.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Lew-T said:

Regarding Pring, I think we’ll see O’Dowda come back into the side. Nige always talks about players coming into the side, that they have to take their chance of staying there.

Overall Pring has done well so far, but with 3 games in a week, we might see a change on that left hand side.

I agree.

I’ve pretty much given up coming up with likely team changes….Nige keeps his cards pretty close to his chest. Plus within the squad (of which I genuinely think it’s 22 strong), I don’t have a problem who he picks.  If O’Dowda and Williams are fit to be included, that keeps us nice and strong, with Massengo and possibly Semenyo injured.

If most weeks he has 20 to pick his 18 from we are gonna be fine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I agree.

I’ve pretty much given up coming up with likely team changes….Nige keeps his cards pretty close to his chest. Plus within the squad (of which I genuinely think it’s 22 strong), I don’t have a problem who he picks.  If O’Dowda and Williams are fit to be included, that keeps us nice and strong, with Massengo and possibly Semenyo injured.

If most weeks he has 20 to pick his 18 from we are gonna be fine.

It’s nice to have in NP’s words ‘realistic competition’. Everybody is itching to get onto the pitch - no passengers. It’s a shame about Massengo but it’s given Joe Williams a chance, and he certainly gave something for Nige to think about yesterday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I was fully expecting a straight replacement of Pring by O’Dowda on the day, and I think that will come. I’d like to see COD with the encouragement to take risks going forward. He can be really exciting - but so rarely is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

I was fully expecting a straight replacement of Pring by O’Dowda on the day, and I think that will come. I’d like to see COD with the encouragement to take risks going forward. He can be really exciting - but so rarely is.

I think COD will do better under Nige, or else he won’t play. Like several others he will need to perform when he gets his chance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

If we are pushing on late, that could lead to a very attacking set up. Weimann & COD as WB's

Bentley
        Kalas - Atkinson - Baker

Weimann                            COD
                        James
       Williams                  HNM
             Martin - Wells

20+ years ago tackles like Tanners were happening all over the pitch at a much more regular occurrence. It makes you realise it’s one of the reasons why the atmosphere always seemed a bit more raucous back then, when you see and hear the effect the tackle had on the crowd. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, SBB said:

20+ years ago tackles like Tanners were happening all over the pitch at a much more regular occurrence. It makes you realise it’s one of the reasons why the atmosphere always seemed a bit more raucous back then, when you see and hear the effect the tackle had on the crowd. 

Especially more so when it was a derby game. Tackles like that would fly it a little bit more often. Nowadays on the pitch it looks like they’re lining up against any other team than a rival on derby day.  Where everyone stands and stays on their feet. 

• Like 1