IGNORED

Antoine Semenyo

firstdivision

19 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I would guess, with the players available and balance wanted on the bench, he just didn't make the cut.

2 defenders : Baker & Simpson
2 MF : King & Williams
2 AMF : Palmer & COD

Nothing more sinister than that I'd say.

That was my guess, plus Weimann’s capacity to be the striker replacement if either Martin or Wells had picked up a knock.

I won’t lie, I was surprised, as I’d have had him in front of Palmer or COD, which explains why he is the manager & I’m not..

• Like 3

Just now, GrahamC said:

That was my guess, plus Weimann’s capacity to be the striker replacement if either Martin or Wells had picked up a knock.

I won’t lie, I was surprised, as I’d have had him in front of Palmer or COD, which explains why he is the manager & I’m not..

It's a call isn't it.
For me I rate COD, Palmer has slipped a bit for me and AS isn't consistent enough. As a choice I would probably gone COD & Palmer on the bench. Then again I was calling for Martin to be replaced by Williams earlier , so what do I know.

34 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I would guess, with the players available and balance wanted on the bench, he just didn't make the cut.

2 defenders : Baker & Simpson
2 MF : King & Williams
2 AMF : Palmer & COD

Nothing more sinister than that I'd say.

I think this is a good analysis. For me Semenyo has had numerous chances and, though he’s run around a lot, he hasn’t really consistently delivered in terms of an end product 

• Like 5

Here’s a breakdown of how the squad has been used so far….league games only.

09B07DB6-1F15-4D19-9E19-D4B9C9B81CBA.thumb.jpeg.f79abdc79ae078899a405d1a250c2f25.jpeg

I think Nige has got what he wants….competition for places.  Vyner, Scott, possibly Semenyo missing out yesterday, Massengo injured.  Basically a 22 man squad, with youngsters to fill in.

Atkinson, James and Weimann played every minute so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think he must’ve picked up a knock / niggle.  Nige says he made a good impact last week off the bench when he needed pace.  Can’t recall seeing him in the Robins Uncut video this week, but wasn’t particularly looking out for him either.

That's my hunch as well. He definitely gets in our 18 if he's fit.

1 hour ago, shelts said:

He’s the modern day Junior Bent . Speedboat no driver !!

His style is nothing like junior bent’s. And he’s a much better player as well. 

Lots of people writing him off. Maybe the same ones who wrote off Bobby Reid, Massengo and the likes.

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Lots of people writing him off. Maybe the same ones who wrote off Bobby Reid, Massengo and the likes.

His style is nothing like Junior Bent’s - and so far, he is nothing like as effective. Unfulfilled promise so far.

10 minutes ago, Leveller said:

His style is nothing like Junior Bent’s - and so far, he is nothing like as effective. Unfulfilled promise so far.

Semenyo will have a better career than Bent. By the time we signed Bent he has had a fair few seasons behind him. Was generally underwhelming.  Young players are regularly written off on this forum and regularly prove people wrong.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Semenyo will have a better career than Bent. By the time we signed Bent he has had a fair few seasons behind him. Was generally underwhelming.  Young players are regularly written off on this forum and regularly prove people wrong.  

Joined us aged 20 and was so “underwhelming” that he played nearly 200 league games over 7 years for us and scored 20 goals on top of his crosses/assists. Let’s hope Semenyo one day matches that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Yeh my comment was tad tongue n cheek,  I shall say no more ! 

37 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Joined us aged 20 and was so “underwhelming” that he played nearly 200 league games over 7 years for us and scored 20 goals on top of his crosses/assists. Let’s hope Semenyo one day matches that.

Averaged about 3 goals per season and was bang average. Let’s hope Antoine surpasses that. I’m sure he will. 

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Averaged about 3 goals per season and was bang average. Let’s hope Antoine surpasses that. I’m sure he will. 

He was an out and out winger who averaged a goal every ten games. AS hasn’t done that or provided many assists. But, as you say, let’s hope he does. AS is, so far, more cultured, but far less effective. JB does not deserve the demeaning comments or mockery that some come out with.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I thought Semenyo was excellent against QPR and, whilst he is not consistent, there are two major thing going for him.

1) he offers an injection of pace and directness that is not replicated elsewhere in the squad.

2) he is the one player in the squad capable of creating a maverick moment out of nothing. With him on the pitch, there is a possibility of the unexpected. The rest of the squad are great in terms of work ethic but do not offer that.