IGNORED

Chants from the past

Baldyman

Sat next to a fella yesterday who wasn’t too keen on the quality of the songs at the Gate these days and  it got me thinking of the chants of old . All time classics such as “ you’re gonna get your ******* heads kicked in” and “ you’ll never take the East End “ remind me of my formative years in the East End . My all time fav being the one about eating a dead cat from a dustbin , I just wondered what other little ditties are most missed from yester year ? Many for various reasons clearly won’t have aged well but just thought I’d throw the question out there ! 

There was a period in the late 80s when we played Aldershot a lot - cup replays etc. I recall that their ground was in a park. Their chant was ‘Joey Jordan is a homosexual’. The City chant was ‘Aldersh*t, Aldersh*t, Aldersh*t.’ Neither are politically correct classics to be fair! 

If I had the wings of a sparrow 

If I had the wings of a crow, Chris Crow!

I’d fly over Eastville tomorrow and sh*t on the bastards below, below

etc etc 

For younger supporters Chris Crowe was a forwards City signed from Forest in the 60d 

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Tommy Tynan - Boxing Day (4-3 win to City - Tynan hat-trick)

You've just triggered a memory, Fevs! I remember all the paper talk being about TT before the game. I've got a memory that it was basically end to end stuff. Lot of Plymouth fans. Proper old school boxing day affair. Was there a pen involved?

I was in 6th form at the time, but I'd have though you're too young to remember this?

34 minutes ago, eardun said:

There was a period in the late 80s when we played Aldershot a lot - cup replays etc. I recall that their ground was in a park. Their chant was ‘Joey Jordan is a homosexual’. The City chant was ‘Aldersh*t, Aldersh*t, Aldersh*t.’ Neither are politically correct classics to be fair! 

One I remember was "You're so shit you must be Aldershot!"

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, eardun said:

Was it Aldershot fans who seemed to think that Bristol was part of Wales? I seem to remember widespread bemusement in the away end at the anti Welsh chants.

'He's gay, he's bent, he's ass is up for rent, he's Holloway, he's Holloway *'

* = or whoever the hate figure was at the time.

Homophobia was rife in football grounds in the past, another was 'you bent b*stard, you bent b*stard' sung repeatedly to anyone with a perm, tan, or in anyway cared for their appearance ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Zigger Zagger was mainly a Chelsea chant from the 60s, but I can remember a City version of Piggy Wiggy. Perhaps it’s just because I’m an old stager, but I’m sure there was more imagination in the past. A lot of imagination nowadays is limited to a choice of which swear words can we use in a dull durge 

There’s some “old player” chants that I would be all for singing even now. 
Super Scott usually sung @ away games- no reason this can’t be one sung during the game or at home IMO  

we had the HNM one yesterday despite him being in the squad, so actually no reason why we can’t just bring back some older ones to keep the atmosphere going. 

I like the “here’s to you Robert Atkinson” song, that one needs some more airtime!