IGNORED

Chants from the past

Baldyman

30 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

Can remember the night we battered Crewe 4-1 in 1990. Their keeper was a lad called Dean Greygoose. He was having a torrid night, not helped by the EastEnd giving him his own chant (rare for an away player)!

Hey goosey goosey

Goosey goosey goosey goosey gaaaander!

My first game!

• Robin 1

Back in the day so many songs were Rovers themed.

Its strange not having played them in the league for so long, I mean our fans in their 20s won’t know that feeling of being in the same league, especially when you work with gasheads it’s so intense it can drive you nuts. Now nobody is that bothered.
I guess it kept those who make up the songs a bit sharper than now.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

On that note, I remember, 

1, 2, 345 , 6789 Tot-nam being popular for a while :laughcont:

Plus, Rovers managers never escaped being in a song, I’ve a funny feeling if we were in the same league, the current manager might have a song or 3 about him…….and I know nothing about his mother

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redland said:

I’m a Knock knee’d chicken and a bow legged hen

I ain’t been so happy since I don’t know when etc

I thought it was the other way around - I'm a bow legged Chicken and a Knock Need Hen?

Always liked the chant - Who are the People - We are the People - Who are the Scum - They are the Scum - Scum didee um dum, dum dum - or words to that effect!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

It’s not that old and maybe other reasons not been mentioned but in it’s day I did really enjoy the ‘Johnson says bounce around the ground’ song. 

The personal favourite of mine will however always be the Tom Thumb song. 

I love the Tom Thumb song too. It has never been the same in all seater stadiums, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Back in the day so many songs were Rovers themed.

Its strange not having played them in the league for so long, I mean our fans in their 20s won’t know that feeling of being in the same league, especially when you work with gasheads it’s so intense it can drive you nuts. Now nobody is that bothered.
I guess it kept those who make up the songs a bit sharper than now.

You’re right, there were always songs about them. The “all hate Bristol Rovers clap your hands” one was a staple song in the EE in the late 80s/early 90s. 

3 hours ago, pogue malone said:

We hate Nottingham Forest, we hate Arsenal too, we hate Birmingham City but Bristol we love you

Alternative version in the late 60's

We hate Softly Softly

We hate Z Cars too

We hate Dixon of Dock Green

But Harry we love you !

( an off kilter song about infamous police killer Harry Roberts)                                 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, handsofclay said:

The wife of Stan Bowles had left him in the week and it was in the tabloids. QPR were at Ashton Gate that Saturday. The East End kept singing 'Where's your wife gone, Where's your wife gone, Where's your wife gone Stanley Bowles?'

He came up for a QPR corner at the East End and it was sung at him again. Bowles looked at the East End and shrugged his shoulders in response. Brilliant.

About twenty minutes later he broke his leg poor bugger. It was hilarious when he did that(the shrug) And we won 2/0. Good day!

(And we all sang, bring on the dustbin while the bloke was on the floor. For the song theme. Bless him).

Tell kids today and they would be traumatized for years. Going away with City could be hectic too!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m always a wee bit envious of clubs who have had their own song since forever. On The Ball City at Norwich, Keep Right On at Brum. The Eton Boating Song at Cov and still sing them with gusto.

There is, however, one exception to this rule!

We have ‘ Drink up thee Zider’ , ‘ One for the Bristol City ‘ which is a bit ‘our own song ‘.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

A chant which was so obscure, I could be forgiven for having dreamt it.
Only ever heard it once on a cold, rainy midweek game stood in the East End, must be late 80's, early 90's, against West Brom, and the chant went up....

'oh we do like to be beside the seaside, oh we do like to be beside the sea, oh we like to walk along the prom, prom, prom, **** off West Brom'

Totally random, no context, but it has stuck in my head ever since, hoping someone else can remember it or was it in a dream? 

• Haha 1