IGNORED

Chants from the past

Baldyman

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks for that.

Do you know, this is something that has been bugging me for years.

I have never had the fortune to go to Goodison Park, but I was convinced I had heard the Z Cars theme played on the tannoy at the start of a match somewhere - I just couldn't remember where, and now I know!

Watford FC has ran out to Z Cars since 1963 - pretty much the same year that the Toffees have ran out to the same ditty ...

On 26/09/2021 at 20:39, RedEd73 said:

Can remember the night we battered Crewe 4-1 in 1990. Their keeper was a lad called Dean Greygoose. He was having a torrid night, not helped by the EastEnd giving him his own chant (rare for an away player)!

Hey goosey goosey

Goosey goosey goosey goosey gaaaander!

I remember that game - in addition to this I recall when taking goal kicks the usual “you’re s**t aargh” was replaced with “shoot shoot shoot that goose”

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I remember that game - in addition to this I recall when taking goal kicks the usual “you’re s**t aargh” was replaced with “shoot shoot shoot that goose”

Me and @Huntstile Red have taken to calling the g4s the "goose," seein' as they've taken to calling theirselves "g4s." We prefer "goose" to "gas." Do join us, if you like.

Honk, honk ....

Not sure if my memory is playing up, but does anyone else remember a last day match at AG vs Brentford, circa early 90s?  City won 4-1 (I think!), a result that sent Brentford down, and I recall the Dolman serenading a rather portly gentleman in the open end with the song 'he's fat, he's round, his team are going down, baldy, baldy...'  as he was getting rather irate in said area.   Sure I didn't imagine this?!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

If only Choo-Choo was playing for us in the mid 80s. He could say his catchphrase when the gaffer told him to do something. "Gotcha, TC!"

We missed an opportunity there for a song:

"Cooper, who's most effectual, Cooper, who's intellectual, we all like to call him TC, cuz he's ace managing City"

image.jpeg.7b23c5691dcd1db1d7290c2ec95ae943.jpeg

• Flames 1

On 27/09/2021 at 14:42, Nogbad the Bad said:

I have, this match:

Won't say it was good fortune to be there necessarily, freezing day, 4-1 defeat, and remember we had to really keep our heads down after the game!

Did get a photo of the scoreboard after Whitehead put us one up though!

Never been so cold at a game before ( sat at the top of the triple deck stand ) then the car heater decided to pack up, long ,cold trip home !

• Like 1

On 26/09/2021 at 19:24, ralphindevon said:

Crikey! I can remember that as a classic, end to end Boxing Day derby.

And I would have finished that sentence with - in front of a big Ashton Gate crowd- but only 10k. Shows how times have changed.

Only 10k but a cracking atmosphere. Plymouth always used to travel in numbers to Bristol. That game was one of my all time favourites at the Gate.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Also in that era, i can recall reading bringing loads to a end of season game.

Think they were gong well, and i recall a bit of grief on ashton road.

Pretty sure it was last day of the season, and somebody saying the reading fans had cb radios.

Think it was a huge game for them and a nothing end of season game for us.

Not all ticket and they unexpectedly brought a ridiculous number - up to 5k was reported at the time, and they were in several areas of the ground, including notably a large presence in the Grandstand iirc.

25 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not all ticket and they unexpectedly brought a ridiculous number - up to 5k was reported at the time, and they were in several areas of the ground, including notably a large presence in the Grandstand iirc.

Is that the game when Chelsea's headhunters came with them ??

20 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes, last day of the season.

Brentford had to get something to stay up.

They brought loads that day, they filled the old open end.

And if I remember that game correctly, in the 89th minute the Brentford fans sang “Down in a minute, we’re going down in a minute…”. Fair play to them.

22 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Not sure if my memory is playing up, but does anyone else remember a last day match at AG vs Brentford, circa early 90s?  City won 4-1 (I think!), a result that sent Brentford down, and I recall the Dolman serenading a rather portly gentleman in the open end with the song 'he's fat, he's round, his team are going down, baldy, baldy...'  as he was getting rather irate in said area.   Sure I didn't imagine this?!

You certainly didn’t imagine it, I remember that game and chant well! Last day of the 1992-93 season, a draw would have kept Brentford up but they totally collapsed and went down along with the gas.

Edited by Wanderingred

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

From memory, we were already down and they were chasing promotion. I played for the junior reds that morning in the park then went home straight after as we couldn't be bothered to watch another defeat!!!