IGNORED

Unbelievable, Jeff!

Norn Iron

You won’t be surprised to know I have a whole host of stats comparing:

• City this season
  • versus City last season
  • versus the Championship this season

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/fevsfootballanalytics/viz/BristolCityTeamStats2021-22/xGpershot

various tabs.  Here’s an example of one.

234CF874-D72E-4335-B64A-C8F24F295285.thumb.jpeg.340df81d51eb7998d55db573959ada57.jpeg

For me, it’s looking beyond the numbers, at things like shape w/o the ball, press, etc, and translating that back.

Others like goals from set-pieces, etc are a definite improvement.  Before the last 3 games, shots conceded was pretty low….but 6 games is a small sample.  9 isn’t a huge sample either.

• Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

• City this season

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/fevsfootballanalytics/viz/BristolCityTeamStats2021-22/xGpershot

234CF874-D72E-4335-B64A-C8F24F295285.thumb.jpeg.340df81d51eb7998d55db573959ada57.jpeg

For me, it’s looking beyond the numbers, at things like shape w/o the ball, press, etc, and translating that back.

Others like goals from set-pieces, etc are a definite improvement.  Before the last 3 games, shots conceded was pretty low….but 6 games is a small sample.  9 isn’t a huge sample either.

Fantastic as always Dave! But for those that like it in Janet and John language, please summarise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Robin 1

From my ( frequently drunken ) eye , I would say;

We look much more organised, with more direction and players seem to know their jobs, and we seem to have a game plan.
The midfield look functional, the passer has more options, player look more comfortable.
Players are getting up in support of the strikers and, although we need even more improvement, we do seem to carry a threat.

And the one biggest single thing I've noticed this year?
I've actually started to enjoy watching the football again, something I haven't been able to say for 18 months or so.

• Like 19

24 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Fantastic as always Dave! But for those that like it in Janet and John language, please summarise!

Janet & John explain Lee Johnson’s tactics for home games

JANET-JOHN.jpg

In the next instalment Janet & John outline Mark Ashton’s recruitment policy.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

There are about 90 different data points.

Here’s a group of 11 of them in one picture.

4B7A59F4-A6C6-4515-9A7D-14F1C6300E6C.thumb.jpeg.cf0281d873f1ade24877bf7a7a4280aa.jpeg
Starting top left -

Ball recoveries: a slight improvement on last season

Ball recoveries high up the pitch (in opposition third): huge improvement on last season

Ball recoveries medium (middle third): slight improvement on last season

Ball recoveries low (in our own third): a bit down on last season, but we are defending less in the main.

Ball losses: same as last season, and a tad more than Champ average

Ball losses high: if we are losing the ball it’s high up the pitch….good sign

Ball losses medium: ditto

Ball losses low (our own third: well down, which is good, e.g. we aren’t putting ourselves in trouble

Interceptions: down on last season, low against Champ average, some of which is because we are defending less

Fouls: down on last season, lower than Champ average.  Read into that what you want. From the eye I’d say we are more physical, but perhaps execute our tackles better.

Clearances: I’m not particularly interested in this one, but perhaps it shows a little less panic.

So that’s my reading of them, but still subjective to some extent….and it’s far better when you put several together to form a view.

You can apply similar thinking to each tab in the above link.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

One big difference to last season is we don't have many injuries at the moment! 

Also we look a bit stronger defensively. Defending our box better, especially when defending set pieces.

But we've had a lot of luck in the last 4 games imo. We've conceded many good chances and teams have finished poorly against us, and we haven't created that many chances ourselves in those games.

Tactically Pearson does things quite differently to LJ and Holden.

We’ve also had plenty of bad luck. Had the whistle gone 15secs earlier we’d have beaten Blackpool and had Bentley not messed up to allow Luton a late equaliser……………:cool2:

Luck tends to equal out over a season.

30 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Janet & John explain Lee Johnson’s tactics for home games

JANET-JOHN.jpg

In the next instalment Janet & John outline Mark Ashton’s recruitment policy.

Interesting choice of example. Do you mean the LJ who presided over a home win against Manchester United? As opposed to a manager who’s presided over no home wins in his time at the club. Just saying like…?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Interesting choice of example. Do you mean the LJ who presided over a home win against Manchester United? As opposed to a manager who’s presided over no home wins in his time at the club. Just saying like…?

artistic licence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

• City this season

FFS. Can’t you stick to the song lyrics for player chants? It is clearly where your talents lie! 

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We’ve also had plenty of bad luck. Had the whistle gone 15secs earlier we’d have beaten Blackpool and had Bentley not messed up to allow Luton a late equaliser……………:cool2:

Luck tends to equal out over a season.

I’d love to see the science behind the theory that luck tend to equal itself out over a season. 
Blackpool scoring in the last minute of stoppage time wasn’t luck - it was a skilfully constructed goal. And Bentley’s mistake wasn’t luck - it was an error induced by apprehension and pressure.

14 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Not sure thats true. The number of games recently where the woodwork and poor finishing has saved us is remarkable. QPR, Fulham, Luton spring to mind. Our defending for the most part , Bentley aside, has been very poor.

I agree, plenty of the goals we’ve conceded have looked easy and not very hard worked. Wouldn’t surprise me if we’ve had our post saved us more times than any other team this season so far. 

28 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’ve really noticed how much less we pass the ball backwards. Incredible compared to LJ/DH. 

Not that I was a fan of the post Man City LJ "over coaching" that went on but passing the ball sideways and backwards is not necessarily negative.

Dreary I agree but it would be interesting to see the shot on target stats from LJ and Pearson eras.

30 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’ve really noticed how much less we pass the ball backwards. Incredible compared to LJ/DH. 

52.8 back passes per match last season.  44 this season.

57 was peak Johnson…..in 17/18….but we also made 100 more passes per match overall than we have this season.

So above numbers a bit impacted by number of passes made.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Not that I was a fan of the post Man City LJ "over coaching" that went on but passing the ball sideways and backwards is not necessarily negative.

Dreary I agree but it would be interesting to see the shot on target stats from LJ and Pearson eras.

17/18 - 11.37 shots per match at 37.1% on target

This season - 10.11 at 34%

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

As I thought.

I can’t be arsed to manually work it out, but in 17/18 the drop off of shots in the second half of the season was significant.

Okay, I could be arsed.

12.96 in 2017 (5.08 on target)

9.47 in 2018 (3.19 on target) 9.19 without the 20 shots in the 5-5 v Hull

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I can’t be arsed to manually work it out, but in 17/18 the drop off of shots in the second half of the season was significant.

Okay, I could be arsed.

12.96 in 2017 (5.08 on target)

9.47 in 2018 (3.19 on target) 9.19 without the 20 shots in the 5-5 v Hull

Yes fair enough, can only really judge over a full season but i stand by my point about dreary but not necessarily negative in terms of chances and shots created.

23 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Yes fair enough, can only really judge over a full season but i stand by my point about dreary but not necessarily negative in terms of chances and shots created.

I was agreeing with you.

I quite liked the attritional team of Autumn 17….we suffocated teams with our 460 with 4 CBs, a LB on the LW and a CM playing RW.

I don’t think that it ever got better for LJ than that.  The winning run of 18/19 never felt the same as 17/18 (and I’m not talking about the cups either).

• Like 2