IGNORED

Mick on Borrowed Time

Port Said Red

Cardiff really do seem dire. I know they were playing West Brom tonight, but their results generally are poor.

The basic football that Mick likes so much, is fine to a point, but they just seem so one dimensional that I think any decent coach can negate them pretty easily.

I can't see their owners putting up with this much longer.

• Like 2

After we beat them I remember looking at social media and being quite surprised by how many of them really weren't happy with him, bearing in mind that was their first defeat of the season and he'd had a decent run when he took over.

Lots of grumbling about the style of play, no plan b when it doesn't work (as evidenced against us) and him not picking their more creative players.

Just now, Northern Red said:

After we beat them I remember looking at social media and being quite surprised by how many of them really weren't happy with him, bearing in mind that was their first defeat of the season and he'd had a decent run when he took over.

Lots of grumbling about the style of play, no plan b when it doesn't work (as evidenced against us) and him not picking their more creative players.

What is surprising is they had Neil Harris & Warnock before him, so not sure what they expect, not exactly switching from Pep or Brendan Rodgers, is it?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What is surprising is they had Neil Harris & Warnock before him, so not sure what they expect, not exactly switching from Pep or Brendan Rodgers, is it?

Yeah, I don't believe they wouldn't have known what they were getting with Mick.

I suspect it's a case of them being happy to put up with the style as long as it gets results, but when it doesn't it becomes a problem. Same thing happened with Warnock and Harris in the end.

Edited by Northern Red

44 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yeah, I don't believe they wouldn't have known what they were getting with Mick.

I suspect it's a case of them being happy to put up with the style as long as it gets results, but when it doesn't it becomes a problem. Same thing happened with Warnock and Harris in the end.

Be interesting to know what the plan is.  If it is as you say, then you have to accept what you’ve got.  Let’s not forget that they only had 2 years of PPs, which are now over.  Very low key summer window is the reality.  They should be doing better though.

37 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

There was a lot of support on OTIB for him to replace Lee Johnson I remember…

Yes, good manager, experienced, good track record.  Might have done really well here, as might’ve Chris Hughton.  It’s really difficult to know how things would’ve worked out.

59 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

There was a lot of support on OTIB for him to replace Lee Johnson I remember…

9 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Why wouldn’t there be? 

Spot on Mr Brent - Mick has a superb football managerial CV - what he did at Wolves was nothing short of a miracle given the constraints under which he had to operate - yet he turned them into a premier league club - and his other achievements at every club he has managed and for his country would just make LJ blush - Mick McCarthy is a very successful football manager - yet posts like the one by @The Dolman Pragmatist above just demonstrate an ignorance of clubs and football teams at our level and those managers who have consistently operated very successfully therein ... he or she would probably slag off Warnock too - it’s quite laughable ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just remember what he did at Ipswich. Under huge constraints 14th, 9th, 6th, 7th, 16th and 12th and then Ipswich fans didn't want him because of his style and they got relegated the season after.

Having to do basically a rebuilding job at wolves because of financial issues. He has a good record at this level much like Warnock.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Cardiff really do seem dire. I know they were playing West Brom tonight, but their results generally are poor.

The basic football that Mick likes so much, is fine to a point, but they just seem so one dimensional that I think any decent coach can negate them pretty easily.

I can't see their owners putting up with this much longer.

Mick only signed a two year extension to his contract in March so it’ll cost Cardiff plenty to sack him.

1 hour ago, BetterRedThanBlue said:

Just remember what he did at Ipswich. Under huge constraints 14th, 9th, 6th, 7th, 16th and 12th and then Ipswich fans didn't want him because of his style and they got relegated the season after.

Having to do basically a rebuilding job at wolves because of financial issues. He has a good record at this level much like Warnock.

No patience nowadays is there but you don't get the full picture. LJ for example was seen as a successful manager for us by many other fans but I guess they didn't realise the budget he had. MM I dont think has had a lot to play with and as others have pointed out has a Warnock and Harris stamp on them which is hard to shake off. 

I do hope Cardiff go down. I don't think they have ever suffered a relegation scrap in this league. Would be interesting to see how many of their fans stay with them if they became a mainstay in league 1.

7 hours ago, BetterRedThanBlue said:

That sounds familiar 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, good manager, experienced, good track record.  Might have done really well here, as might’ve Chris Hughton.  It’s really difficult to know how things would’ve worked out.

There was; and he would have been a good choice IMO as would have been Hughton.

That Nigel was the better choice though was both the commonly held view at appointment and also now with the benefit of hindsight.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Last night they played 3 at the back with their wing backs being Ciaron Brown and Mark McGuinness who are also centre backs by trade. Plus Vaulks and Pack in the middle of the park, who are not exactly attacking players. No wonder the fans are going mad. 

Yeah but with all those defensively minded players on the field they will be VERY solid at the ba...... oh!

???

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

I bet other fans said the same about us when we sacked GJ ? Football fans never know what they have until its gone. If only it was as easy to sack squads of players and replace them as it is managers who have already proven there worth. 

Part of the game unfortunately, fans can be toxic. 

In GJ's case many of us argued at the time it was the rebellious players at Plymouth (and beforehand) who should have been shown the door by the club  and not GJ.

• Like 2