IGNORED

Millwall away match-day thread

3 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

1st win in 6 games for Millwall, worth thinking about. We are the king's at ending bad runs for other teams ?

Yes.

Hasn’t it always been so …. was it Palace in around 100BC, who hadn’t won a game all season until they visited The Gate in December, all served up to the nation on one of our few appearances on Match of the Day? 

• Like 1

We weren’t at It tonight for some reason, maybe a hangover from Saturday’s massive effort, but the fluidity wasn’t there from the start.  Some decent passages of play, but also a lot of mistakes.  Awful up front. Bakinson a mistake waiting to happen, COD totally anonymous, sick note Baker broken another toenail, and who knows what’s going on with KP, another of those random performances.  Some real positives also though - James and Williams great midfield partnership in the making, defence looked solid except for that single misjudgement from Atkinson who was otherwise excellent, Bents continuing good form, JD outstanding and Pring another battling solid performance.  We are just 3-4 players short of properly being able to compete on a consistent basis.  Real shame that Benik was in blue rather than red… 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

This game. Honestly.  Just one little piece of competence will decide this. 

Perceptive!

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

Or incompetence

Great prediction...

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

Bakinson incompetence

Yep.

37 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

This game has been an average force meeting a mediocre object.

One of my favourite posts ever. I'm gonna use that time and again and claim credit for it...

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Show some respect. That's the best manager that Bristol City have never had that you're talking about there.

Ask him, he'll tell you himself. In fact he'll tell you even if you don't ask.

How dare you? Didn't you know he once was lectured to by Arsene Wenger? I do. Because he won't stop bloody going on about it...

What a Championship mid table game! At times we had them under immense pressure without creating anything, but two mistakes in one dumb minute lost the game.

Never again should we play two players with 'inson' in their names play together. 

We're very average and the team we ended with was rag tag personified.

We're so obviously lacking up front. Where will the goals come from seemed a stupid question after a few games but now has become pertinent. 

Martin and Weimann combined have 1 goal in 5. The same as Baker and Bentley combined.

I thought Williams was a huge positive and he, James and Massengo could be an incredible trio if they ever play together (let's not assume!)

It's early doors for the Pearson era and we have to accept the odd annoying loss this season.

I can't wait for the next period of squad refurbishment!

• Thanks 1

Have seen the penalty back as was at the other end and it’s very soft and can’t quite decide if it’s even in the area or not. Was annoying as it was just when we were getting on top and then fell apart after that would most likely have been a 0-0 game otherwise  but they say these things even themselves out over the season so maybe that’s repaying they qpr luck we had 

Didn’t even realise Wells had dropped out as the game was crying out for him to come on and instead we got a Palmer off night 

45 minutes ago, redrob said:

Absolutely hilarious comment. How many "proven" strikers were available in the last window and how many of them were in our price bracket?

No real need to make a remark like that was there really? 

It was just my opinion, I have no idea on price brackets, only that I am bitterly disappointed we seemed to be financially hamstrung going into the season.

That being said I am thankful that we haven’t “done a derby/reading”.

Happy?

57 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Quite excited to see what a midfield of James-Massengo-Williams could do.

It does seem as though this combination could be exciting, but there is a problem. None of them are regular goal scorers. James has only 10 league goals in his career,  Massengo 2 (none for City) and Williams also 2.  They’ll probably run around a lot and be creative, but who is going to be on the end of their creative passes? A lot of blame for lack of goals is being placed on Martin and Weimann, but that’s only part of the problem. Goals have got to come from midfield and, to a lesser degree, from defenders. City haven’t got goal scoring midfielders / defenders in the team. (Weimann could be counted as a midfield player who scores a few, but he’s currently playing as a forward with Martin) 

Edited by pongo88

We are now stuck in traffic, we have done 10 miles in nearly an hour and a half since leaving the ground. Got caught twice in traffic nr Hammersmith queueing for petrol and blocking the road and now motorway is down to one lane because of roadworks.

After sitting through the match tonight this is not what we need. 

Without sounding dramatic, I think that's one of the worst games of Championship football I've been to; not just from City but from Millwall too. It felt like neither team were ever going to score from open play and there was a real lack of urgency and quality from both sides. I took a couple of mates with me who are neutrals and I feel bad asking £28 for the tickets.

Our midfield move the ball far too slowly and Martin was ponderous up front. I think we really missed Massengo tonight who seems to be the only player who can really move us up the pitch quickly. The only positive moment of the evening was Afobe clapping the City fans and putting his hand on his heart. What I'd do to have him back in the side!

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, RedM said:

We are now stuck in traffic, we have done 10 miles in nearly an hour and a half since leaving the ground. Got caught twice in traffic nr Hammersmith queueing for petrol and blocking the road and now motorway is down to one lane because of roadworks.

After sitting through the match tonight this is not what we need. 

I live in London so was back by 1030 but I feel so sorry for all the fans who travelled to watch that tonight. Utterly tedious. Our football after the goal was dire. We looked patternless and punchless. 
But I’ve been saying it for weeks - we are so dull to watch. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I live in London so was back by 1030 but I feel so sorry for all the fans who travelled to watch that tonight. Utterly tedious. Our football after the goal was dire. We looked patternless and punchless. 

Got hit by more detours around Reading due to roadworks, 3 hours since leaving Millwall and we are halfway between Reading and Swindon. It's been a long night

Another sluggish and inept performance by "The Big Slug" Martin.

Must be the slowest/laziest striker in the Championship.

He has three speed levels. Snail pace, zimmer-frame pace and walking-dead pace.

The guy's a liability. With him in the team, we're always playing with a man short. Felt sorry for the three or four players who put in the extra effort to make up for Martin's lack of skill and desire.

He looks knackered and disinterested even before the kick off.

The young strikers can't do any worse. Give them a go. At least we'll see some enthusiasm and decent battling for the ball.

14 hours ago, firstdivision said:

We we’ve been tedious for years, envious of big-hitters like Luton, Cov’ QPR, when did they by-pass us in playing such open, expansive and entertaining football?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

And windows - how many windows did you arrive back with?

Ha ha all of them. No trouble at all, found their fans to be friendly and happy to chat. 

Very glad I wasn’t working today though after getting back much later than I expected, and with no points.