IGNORED

Millwall away match-day thread

On 29/09/2021 at 22:37, OddBallJim said:

No real need to make a remark like that was there really? 

It was just my opinion, I have no idea on price brackets, only that I am bitterly disappointed we seemed to be financially hamstrung going into the season.

That being said I am thankful that we haven’t “done a derby/reading”.

Happy?

Well it was a hilarious comment. To say that you have no idea of price brackets but also that your glad we haven't done a Derby/Reading shows you're totally aware why we've not bought a proven goalscorer. 

Our finances aside, how many proven Championship goalscorerkng strikers were actually available? And how many would have accepted a transfer to a team predicted to be  lose to relgation after being in relegation form for much of last season. 

think we're all disappointed with the mismanagement of the Ashton era but it is what it is and we cna only move forward,gettkng behind this group of players while they're the ones we have and playing a waiting game until a) our finances improve and b) our attractiveness to other players rises. 

• Hmmm 1
47 minutes ago, redrob said:

Well it was a hilarious comment. To say that you have no idea of price brackets but also that your glad we haven't done a Derby/Reading shows you're totally aware why we've not bought a proven goalscorer. 

Our finances aside, how many proven Championship goalscorerkng strikers were actually available? And how many would have accepted a transfer to a team predicted to be  lose to relgation after being in relegation form for much of last season. 

think we're all disappointed with the mismanagement of the Ashton era but it is what it is and we cna only move forward,gettkng behind this group of players while they're the ones we have and playing a waiting game until a) our finances improve and b) our attractiveness to other players rises. 

These Matchday threads show how polarised opinion gets based on one result. Wednesday night we’re shit, Saturday evening we’ve got a bunch of battlers who give their all!! Chris Martin is ******* useless Wednesday but scores a great winner at the weekend.

The point is, as you say, we are where we are and as long as Nige gets the best out of what we have we shouldn’t be looking over our shoulders. However to think there won’t get more games like Millwall over the course of the season is living in cloud cuckoo land. We just aren’t at the level to perform consistently and challenge the upper reaches of the table but the players do give their all every week. I’ll take that given the car crash of last season and the mismanagement going back three years.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 5
On 06/10/2021 at 09:01, Numero Uno said:

These Matchday threads show how polarised opinion gets based on one result. Wednesday night we’re shit, Saturday evening we’ve got a bunch of battlers who give their all!! Chris Martin is ******* useless Wednesday but scores a great winner at the weekend.

The point is, as you say, we are where we are and as long as Nige gets the best out of what we have we shouldn’t be looking over our shoulders. However to think there won’t get more games like Millwall over the course of the season is living in cloud cuckoo land. We just aren’t at the level to perform consistently and challenge the upper reaches of the table but the players do give their all every week. I’ll take that given the car crash of last season and the mismanagement going back three years.

Absolutely, I was at the game on Wednesday and you are right about how a result can polarise opinions. 

Chris Martin won nearly everything that was lumped up to him (which was a lot given our midfield was virtually non-existent for 60 minutes). He didn't have a cracking game but then nor did anybody. Andi Wiemann was terrible, making runs that blocked off midfielders or Atkinson when they did try to carry the ball and run at Millwall. 

Standing on the platform to come back to London Bridge though all the talk was about how crap Martin was and how we are relegation fodder if we continue to play like that. 

Like you a sense of reality is needed. We are not going to be a top 4 team who win week in week out playing attractive expansive football. We need to battle for points by out running and outpressing the opposition (which is pretty much what Dave Rennie confirmed the fitness side of it is being set up to do). We'll also need to hold tight and wait as finances being what they are in football it's likely to be at least 2 seasons before some of the players here that Pearson might like to be rid of now are moved on. 

• Like 3