IGNORED

Bakinson

GrahamC

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You get the odd one off from both of them . Palmer got us the point Saturday but apart from that done nothing & the same tonight . It was a poor sub imo . King should of come on 

I think it was made because we went a goal down & he scored on Saturday.

We’ve seen him long enough now though to know these moments are few & far between.

• Like 4

Just now, GrahamC said:

Said on Twitter on Saturday, 10 of them did..

I think with Ty, there’s a pattern. I’ve said it before - you look at his loan spells, starts like a train, gets complacent, gets bombed out. Did the same with us last season, and the worry now is the gap between good performance and complacent is getting smaller, not larger…

• Like 1

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

I think with Ty, there’s a pattern. I’ve said it before - you look at his loan spells, starts like a train, gets complacent, gets bombed out. Did the same with us last season, and the worry now is the gap between good performance and complacent is getting smaller, not larger…

I would pick any of our other midfielders (James, Williams, King, HNM) before him, myself.

Think he has had his opportunity with HNM out, King missing at QPR & nervousness over starting Williams but he’s blown it for me & would only be a sub now if we had no other option.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

I would pick any of our other midfielders (James, Williams, King, HNM) before him, myself.

Think he has had his opportunity with HNM out, King missing at QPR & nervousness over starting Williams but he’s blown it for me & would only be a sub now if we had no other option.

Yep, agree, he’s definitely 6th in the queue for me. And that probably says he’s not got a long term future here as it’s not like he’s not had opportunity 

I think most of us wanted Bakinson and Semenyo to come back from those impressive loan spells and be the future of our first team. 

Bakinson I'm losing patience with. It's not a talent problem. It's a fitness problem or an attitude problem and that's what sees players slip down the leagues. 

I just can't see how O'Dowda, Bakinson or Palmer could possibly be trusted and rewarded with a new contract. 

Massengo, au contraire, has the minerals.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Highlights how much the team miss Massengo. He’d have made a huge difference tonight.

And Massengo was getting more and more detractors on this message board up until this season.  Bakinson just seems the new favourite for the boo boys unfortunately despite the fact that there were plenty of others nowhere near the top of their game tonight.  He’s still developing and people need to give him a chance and stick with him no jump on him every time he has a below average game, usually in line with plenty of other more experienced and far better paid players. Interestingly on Instagram there are 47 comments on the latest post from City (all moaning!) and Bakinson gets mentioned once.  Chris Martin on the other hand…..

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2

Starting games under Nigel Pearson yet we are still questioning his professionalism or his attitude? Not to mention we have picked up 4 tough points against two very good teams in Fulham and QPR with him starting. 

He has flaws. He won’t be a prolific defensive midfielder. He won’t cover the ground Massengo will. His biggest problem? Having Martin and Weimann as options to pass to. If not them a LB in Pring or Dasilva down the left. Usually no one on the right. 

I really don’t know how Bakinson can be getting this treatment as the only bloke who can get his head up and A) spot a pass and B) convert said pass. Should have been 1-0 up after Bakinson played Weimann in first half. Second half made himself an option for Pring and played a lovely first timed pass down the wing for O’Dowda who over hit the cross badly. A cynic would say ok he made a few good passes. I would say he is in the team for that exact reason. To make those key passes and be someone to take responsibility and actually get on the ball to get it forward. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, lenred said:

And Massengo was getting more and more detractors on this message board up until this season.  Bakinson just seems the new favourite for the boo boys unfortunately despite the fact that there were plenty of others nowhere near the top of their game tonight.  He’s still developing and people need to give him a chance and stick with him no jump on him every time he has a below average game, usually in line with plenty of other more experienced and far better paid players. Interestingly on Instagram there are 47 comments on the latest post from City and Bakinson gets mentioned once.  Chris Martin on the other hand…..

Let's see what Pearson decides re Bakinson. I'd be amazed if he continues to start him.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Let's see what Pearson decides re Bakinson. I'd be amazed if he continues to start him.

I expect he will carry on as he has done - starting some games and not others and continuing his development.  He’s nowhere near the finished article but he wouldn’t have already played the amount he has this season if NP didn’t think he deserved it. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think there was also one great pass by Bakinson through to Martin second. Well, I say great if Martin had just a little bit more pace to get on to it. Basically missing a Wells type to get on to such passes and then likely to be more clinical once he does.

I do think Bakinson was poor though. Still has so much to learn.

Think most the team was poor tonight tbf. Bakinson even with not a complete performance put in 3-4 passes that did or should have led to scoring chances. He needs to play to round his game out. He is in his early 20’s with less than the equivalent of a season of championship football under his belt. The good things he does possess are things that you can’t teach. The positioning and things like that can be worked on. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Starting games under Nigel Pearson yet we are still questioning his professionalism or his attitude? Not to mention we have picked up 4 tough points against two very good teams in Fulham and QPR with him starting. 

He has flaws. He won’t be a prolific defensive midfielder. He won’t cover the ground Massengo will. His biggest problem? Having Martin and Weimann as options to pass to. If not them a LB in Pring or Dasilva down the left. Usually no one on the right. 

I really don’t know how Bakinson can be getting this treatment as the only bloke who can get his head up and A) spot a pass and B) convert said pass. Should have been 1-0 up after Bakinson played Weimann in first half. Second half made himself an option for Pring and played a lovely first timed pass down the wing for O’Dowda who over hit the cross badly. A cynic would say ok he made a few good passes. I would say he is in the team for that exact reason. To make those key passes and be someone to take responsibility and actually get on the ball to get it forward. 

Good balanced response Joe.

My view was that he didn’t do enough on or off the ball for the team (others didn’t too), but I was annoyed at some of the simple passes that were short, didn’t find their target etc.

Even the pass to Palmer running forward into space caused him to check and then Palmer has his options closed down and gives it away.

His off the ball / ball-watching was unacceptable today, too often players ran off him.

Will be surprised if he starts Saturday.

• Like 2

Yes he was poor today but so were many others, harsh to single out one person's performance when many others were below par.

You can see through some games he's played for us that he has real quality on the ball and sometimes the game passes him by, he does need to do more and be more proactive. 

He probably is one of a couple of players in our squad who can split defences with good passes and can actually shoot from outside the box but it is a shame he has no-one to pass to that will get a chance on goal.

He works on his simple game and contribute more defensively and people will talk about him like they did when he first got into the squad last season. He is 22 and is still learning under a proper manager now, give him time.

We aren't promotion chasers, let's see which of our players grow and get better under NP. If NP plays him then I trust the decision.

Feel posts are being slightly harsh on O'Dowda here.

When was his last competitive match? - for me was one of few positive regarding player performances last season. Bakinson doesn't have the same excuse, he's looked static in every match played this season, namely due ball watching and poor mobility.

Players should be given a clean slate to some extent now we actually seem to have a competent manager. 

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

His style is languid yes but his decision making & execution are lazy. Piss poor reactions defensively 

He is far from the finished article and had a poor game last night and Saturday but he hasn’t played regularly under NP so I can understand that he is not up to speed.

He needs, like a few others here, to improve if he wants to stay here.

8 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think his work on the ball has ever been in question; it’s what he’s like without it, combined with his lackadaisical style, that prompts criticism. He needs to offer much more than the occasional slide-rule pass IMO.

For context, Martin and Weimann were both very poor last night as well, so Bakinson wasn’t alone in that regard.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tin said:

I don’t think his work on the ball has ever been in question; it’s what he’s like without it, combined with his lackadaisical style, that prompts criticism. He needs to offer much more than the occasional slide-rule pass IMO.

For context, Martin and Weimann were both very poor last night as well, so Bakinson wasn’t alone in that regard.

I am just not sure he is ever going to be that. It is like everyone wants him to have Massengo’s work rate and Matty James’ positioning to break up play. We don’t get perfect players at Bristol City very often or for very long. So it is about balancing players and their good and bad attributes. 

I think NP knows what he is getting from Bakinson. Which is offering that killer pass. That is why he hasn’t been asked to play without two other hard workers around him in two of James, Massengo or Williams. 

I think he needs to improve if he wants a good championship career or higher. It is early in his career though so we need to take the good with the bad. The bad will be highlighted to him I am sure and something he can be coached on. As you said, there were a few very poor performances last night but it is Bakinson who has the 3 page thread slating him for all his flaws. 

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am just not sure he is ever going to be that. It is like everyone wants him to have Massengo’s work rate and Matty James’ positioning to break up play. We don’t get perfect players at Bristol City very often or for very long. So it is about balancing players and their good and bad attributes. 

I think NP knows what he is getting from Bakinson. Which is offering that killer pass. That is why he hasn’t been asked to play without two other hard workers around him in two of James, Massengo or Williams. 

I think he needs to improve if he wants a good championship career or higher. It is early in his career though so we need to take the good with the bad. The bad will be highlighted to him I am sure and something he can be coached on. As you said, there were a few very poor performances last night but it is Bakinson who has the 3 page thread slating him for all his flaws. 

Maybe most people just want 11 players that run around like headless chickens chasing shadows ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Good balanced response Joe.

My view was that he didn’t do enough on or off the ball for the team (others didn’t too), but I was annoyed at some of the simple passes that were short, didn’t find their target etc.

Even the pass to Palmer running forward into space caused him to check and then Palmer has his options closed down and gives it away.

His off the ball / ball-watching was unacceptable today, too often players ran off him.

Will be surprised if he starts Saturday.

Having slept on it, this is what’s really irking me with Tyreeq.

The bits he keeps falling short on - concentration, awareness, defensive effort - are all absolutely controllable.

Players giving 100% but having a bad game/dip in form I can live with, but the above I just really struggle to tolerate - especially when, as a central player, those things are absolutely his job.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

There's a difference between balancing players' good/bad attributes and carrying them, IMO. The reason we lost the game last night is essentially because we were carrying three players. That's the fine margin. 

At the very least, and especially in games against the likes of Millwall, we need players to stand up and compete. Bar a few positive moments on the ball, Bakinson did nothing. 

Bakinson's got all the natural attributes to be a quailty player, but I doubt he has the desire or tactical awareness to make the most of it. I hope the penny drops and he proves me wrong.