Jump to content
IGNORED

10 games in


CiderHeadDan
 Share

Recommended Posts

Okay so I know tonight wasn't what we expected after the last 2 games but some inconsistency should be expected, especially in the championship.

What's the overall view after the magical 10 games? are we behind or ahead of where you thought we would be?

Personally I feel that before the start of the season I would have taken 21st as I always thought we'd struggle this season, especially as most of this squad were here from the end of last season. I think it's steady progression. I know all supporters want instant success but its all about the proccess (yes I'm sounding like O'Driscoll now) but it's how we will achieve long term success in a competitive league! I feel adjusting my predictions, I would take a 14th placed position and give Nige more time to develop his own squad. 

Verdict: Nige is doing an okay/slight above average job with what his terms are and I fully expect him to transform this team in 18 months...

Edited by CiderHeadDan
  • Like 3
  • Robin 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The reality is before the season started no-one would've predicted we would have been 10th after 10 games. 

It's clearly better than expected and the progress in a relatively short space of time is obvious.

 

Agreed but I’m more talking performance based. Are you happy with how we are performing this season, regardless of the results?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The reality is before the season started no-one would've predicted we would have been 10th after 10 games. 

It's clearly better than expected and the progress in a relatively short space of time is obvious.

 

The injury jinx didn't help tonight, we were a lot better than them (certainl) in that spell in the second half, before the pen ) I think we would have got AT THE VERY LEAST a point.:grr:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, CiderHeadDan said:

Agreed but I’m more talking performance based. Are you happy with how we are performing this season, regardless of the results?

Oh christ, yeah. I specifically remember the Millwall home game in December last year under Holden. We couldn't even get the ball out of our half against a team that hadn't won in 10 games. Winning a corner or having a shot on goal was a distant dream. 

So far this season it has been a level above and I believe we are currently 10th in the table on merit. 

I'm happy with the style of play, bodies put on the line at the back, fast direct counter attacking, and occasionally some well-worked passing. 

That's fine for now. You can't build as easily for the Premier League from League 1. 

  • Like 3
  • Flames 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you’d have offered me 13 points from the first 10 games at the start of the season I’d have snatched your hand off, so from that point of view a satisfactory start. The obvious pluses are HNM, Rob Atkinson, Cam Pring and the signing of George Tanner.  We’re short up front but we all knew that before the season started.  Our set plays are poor, we’re vulnerable down our right hand side and we lack composure in the final third.  Not great, but not bad either. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty much average which is a massive leap from last season's debacle.

We are competing which is the main thing. There is a method and I can see progress being made on and off the pitch.

If we can maintain this upper mid table position throughout the season I will be more than happy and this gives Nige the time and platform to build on.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Oh christ, yeah. I specifically remember the Millwall home game in December last year under Holden. We couldn't even get the ball out of our half against a team that hadn't won in 10 games. Winning a corner or having a shot on goal was a distant dream. 

 

That game and the Rotherham one a few days earlier were the absolute nadir for me. There were heavier defeats last season but those two were the worst for sheer ineptitude and hopelessness against mediocre opposition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CiderHeadDan said:

Agreed but I’m more talking performance based. Are you happy with how we are performing this season, regardless of the results?

Yes. I expected middle-eight, kinda hoped for 13th.  We will improve too as tweaks are made, players evolve partnerships etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes. I expected middle-eight, kinda hoped for 13th.  We will improve too as tweaks are made, players evolve partnerships etc.

Personally love your optimism but have to disagree on where I think we should be. If we finished top 8 with this squad I would be astounded however think we will be middle / lower half of the pack, probably 14th.

  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CiderHeadDan said:

Personally love your optimism but have to disagree on where I think we should be. If we finished top 8 with this squad I would be astounded however think we will be middle / lower half of the pack, probably 14th.

middle 8 Dan. Re-read Fevs post.

If he'd suggested top 8, I'd have just quoted him and posted this:

laugh-funny.gif.e46e3d80a7599829cd3b8b712a98836b.gif

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nobody promised us a rose garden right? We knew this was going to be an inconsistent season of rebuilding and I’m satisfied so far. We’ve seen two very poor performances in tonight and the Luton game.. a few pretty average ones and a couple of decent displays at Reading and vs Fulham. We don’t look like relegation fodder and that’s good enough for now.

I think we are all on a downer after tonight but I think the injuries and forced changes tonight and not having Pearson’s experience there cost us and contributed to that dire second half. Pretty sure we’d have nicked it or at least got a draw had we not lost Williams and Baker.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Nobody promised us a rose garden right? We knew this was going to be an inconsistent season of rebuilding and I’m satisfied so far. We’ve seen two very poor performances in tonight and the Luton game.. a few pretty average ones and a couple of decent displays at Reading and vs Fulham. We don’t look like relegation fodder and that’s good enough for now.

I think we are all on a downer after tonight but I think the injuries and forced changes tonight and not having Pearson’s experience there cost us and contributed to that dire second half. Pretty sure we’d have nicked it or at least got a draw had we not lost Williams and Baker.

 

 

I beg your pardon!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s been a positive start to the season, with the league position and the number of points we have picked up.

Last season we were being dominated week in week out and this season, the performances have been much stronger.

We have to remember that this summer was about cutting costs which has resulted in numerous players outgoing and only a handful of players incoming.

For Nige to manage us to such a huge improvement despite losing some quality players who have not been replaced, he deserves great credit.

It’s great to see the progress we have made at this stage, despite Nige saying that this is a three year project.

It’s refreshing to be excited of what we can achieve this season, as oppose to being terrified of relegation  as we all were last season.

Edited by Fammyfan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’re pretty much where I thought we’d be after 10 games. Win a few, lose a few and draw a few and I imagine that’ll be a familiar story all season.

Last was a poor performance by recent standards and I reckon the absence of Nige was a significant factor. The guy is a motivational influence and had he been there we may had seen a better result 

Im not criticising Fleming at all but I doubt he has the same respect that Nige has amongst the squad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

10th after 10, very good. We’d have all taken that. Overall, the improvements this season have been vast.

Exactly. And if there weren’t blips like last night then we would go the rest of the season undefeated which, hopefully, everyone accepts is a little bit unlikely. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as we keep improving, which we should as long as we don’t go down the getting loads of injuries road, then things are much better than I expected.

Last nights forced substitutions plus HNM injured showed the squad is a bit fragile, so as with every club, a bit of luck needed but it’s such a tight league anything is still possible 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...