IGNORED

Time to play Bell and Conway ?

westonred

I think you have to remember Niges view - just because they have a squad number, it doesn’t mean they’re part of the first team squad. And they’re not - none of the three of them. Dropping Weimann is just nuts, and although I agree Martin needs a rest, the only alternate in those three that won’t lead to a ball coming back at us is Britton - and I trust NPs opinion that he’s a way off currently.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think you have to remember Niges view - just because they have a squad number, it doesn’t mean they’re part of the first team squad. And they’re not - none of the three of them. Dropping Weimann is just nuts, and although I agree Martin needs a rest, the only alternate in those three that won’t lead to a ball coming back at us is Britton - and I trust NPs opinion that he’s a way off currently.

Correct but Nige also said that these young strikers have been kept at the club (as opposed to going on loan) because they were so close to the first team squad so should be all to play for.

Edited by mozo

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

From what Nige said recently Britton is nowhere near contending for the first team.

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

It is the old OTIB standard on Britton, he is ‘one of our own and he is going to be a star’’ .

He is miles off being a Championship striker at this point. 

Yep. Only young player not to be offered a new deal at end of last season and yet he is continually called upon to be the saviour. 

Just play Wells down the middle. Martin has been getting bullied lately(fatigue?) and has been resorting to running channels. Might as well play Wells then. The ball been sticking to Martin less and less. Weimann looks like he needs a break too. 

Big fan of both Conway and Bell but there are options we haven’t explored that are much better options for championship football. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

It is the old OTIB standard on Britton, he is ‘one of our own and he is going to be a star’’ .

He is miles off being a Championship striker at this point. 

I get what you are saying and we have to trust NP judgment.  For me he’s the one out of the 3 that’s got something about him from what I saw at the Brentford match, if only it was a brief encounter.

• Like 1

The only real change is a switch from Martin to Wells. With Wells possibly injured we are somewhat stuck. I still wouldn’t mind having Britton on the bench - even if it’s to allow Martin to bust his balls for 75 minutes a game. Not saying his the “saviour” but some support for Martin who’s being flogged again !

7 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Somewhat of a naive post from the OP. Put two kids up front and it would be worse than anything Martin and Weimann have produced 

Thanks for calling me naive i will explain my thoughts behind my post. Weimann and Martin both need a break they seem burnt out and totally certainly off the pace last night (Derby fans said 3 seasons ago that Martin cant play two games a week and as we can see this seems true) If Wells is injured then using Conway (apparently he's injured anyway) and Bell seemed like a good option we are playing a lesser team in Posh so it would be the ideal time to chuck them in. As Alan Hansen famously once said 'You will Never Win anything with Kids' Well you wont know if you dont try 

Edited by westonred

2 hours ago, westonred said:

Thanks for calling me naive i will explain my thoughts behind my post Weimann and Martin both need a break they seem burnt and totally certainly off the pace last night (Derby fans said 3 seasona ago that Martin cant play two games a week and as we can see this seems true) If Wells is injured then using Conway and Bell seems like a good option we are playing a lesser team in Posh so it would be the ideal time to chuck them in. As Alan Hansen famously once said 'You will Never Win anything with Kids' Well we wont know if you dont try 

Bell can barely get on the bench and Conway is injured.  Assuming Pearson knows what he is doing, Bell isn’t ready yet.  Was certainly way off the standard against FGR.  Just chucking two kids up front just because they play in the position that you think needs a change isnt the answer. Hopefully Semenyo and Wells are fit again soon. Better off rotating them, Martin and Weimann than playing Bell

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Bell can barely get on the bench and Conway is injured.  Assuming Pearson knows what he is doing, Bell isn’t ready yet.  Was certainly way off the standard against FGR.  Just chucking two kids up front just because they play in the position that you think needs a change isnt the answer. Hopefully Semenyo and Wells are fit again soon. Better off rotating them, Martin and Weimann than playing Bell

Having watched u23s a couple of times recently & based on that alone Bell is miles off the first team and not even shining at that level.  Let’s just hope Wells is fit and it was precautionary last night

11 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

He is miles off being a Championship striker at this point........... 

........ Our problem is that most, if not all our forwards, all too often appear to be miles off being Championship strikers at this point. 

• Like 1

Martin needs a rest.

7 hours ago, downendcity said:

........ Our problem is that most, if not all our forwards, all too often appear to be miles off being Championship strikers at this point. 

Dunno, think they have 8 goals between them to date despite one of them- Wells- not having had all that much gametime. Some assists as well, but unsure how many assists were to each other ie between the 3 strikers.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Martin needs a rest.

Dunno, think they have 8 goals between them to date despite one of them- Wells- not having had all that much gametime. Some assists as well, but unsure how many assists were to each other ie between the 3 strikers.

I did make my comment somewhat tongue in cheek.

At the moment Weimann and Wells would be my choice as a front 2, but for them to flourish as goalscorer they need the right service and although we are more of an attacking force than before ( hardly difficult!) we just don;t seem to carve out the same opportunities as most position teams do against us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I did make my comment somewhat tongue in cheek.

At the moment Weimann and Wells would be my choice as a front 2, but for them to flourish as goalscorer they need the right service and although we are more of an attacking force than before ( hardly difficult!) we just don;t seem to carve out the same opportunities as most position teams do against us.

When fit, I would be interested in seeing Weimann kinda wide right but not full on right ie right of a front 3, Semenyo wide left and Wells central- think that could be interesting. If we played Weimann too far to the right that would hinder him- and us- significantly. That aside, agree on Weimann and Wells.

Service can be improved for sure but with a good CM 3- again when fit- of James-Massengo-Williams, Atkinson able to step out from the back 4 and Tanner and DaSilva have room for growth, service issues could resolve over time.

We have options though, Scott and Semenyo when fit I'd like to see more gametime, Wells and Weimann I think have potential to combine.