IGNORED

Missing Famara

MattWSM

3 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

We are missing him or someone like Fam who can put defences under pressure with strength/ physicality 

A fully fit Martin can do that but he wasn’t at the races last night for whatever reason.

At Senior Reds a while ago Flint was asked who his hardest opponent was - without any hesitation he said “Chris Martin”

• Like 1

The fact we might be missing Famara is an indictment of Martins poor performances rather Famara’s ability. It’s like saying I used to have an unreliable car, but now I’ve got a very unreliable car, so I wish I had my old one back. A better solution would be to get a totally different, reliable, car   

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

We are missing him or someone like Fam who can put defences under pressure with strength/ physicality 

No he didn't want to be here, so he would have been half hearted mess like the end of last season.  I think the missing link is a Cauley Woodrow type but not the one that turned up for us, the other one. 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The fact we might be missing Famara is an indictment of Martins poor performances rather Famara’s ability. It’s like saying I used to have an unreliable car, but now I’ve got a very unreliable car, so I wish I had my old one back. A better solution would be to get a totally different, reliable, car   

Cracking analogy 

If you're talking about the motivated Diedhiou then I agree, but the unmotivated, demoralised Diedhiou we saw last season would have less effect on results than the girl at the pasty stall has.

One of the great things about motivated Fam was he was so excellent at heading away our opponents' corners and free kicks.  His scoring rate of just under one in three was reasonable, but adding in his defensive work is what made him central to what we were doing at the time.

His problem was his immobility and lack of first touch meant things had to be presented to him on a plate, meaning when he played the team had to all be focused on him, robbing us of other outlets. 

• Like 4

With Diedhiou we would still be lacking in pace and mobility up top.

Given his performances towards the end of last season, we also can't be sure that Fam would show the effort and commitment that Pearson would demand.

I do think we're missing a striker, but I don't think that Fam is that striker. I haven't thought "I wish Diedhiou was playing" at any point so far this season. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Totally agree with your point. Martin is way too slow and lacking dribbling also. Famara was dreadful to watch but he was running and pressing more tham Martin does.

In my opinion we need a good dribbler and fast forward not a Target man. Playing on a Target man is mostly a gambling. While having a very fast and good dribbler that can win 1 on 1 will give us more goals. Like last time when Martin brain took ages to think what to do an in the end be missed a 2 yard pass.

4 minutes ago, Selred said:

We gave no service to the strikers, why do we think that it's the strikers that are the issue?

This sums it up perfectly. Nige is currently making us solid, organised and tough to beat which results in a lack of creativity and expression in our play.

Stage 2 of the rebuild will be to try and add more creation in both the midfield and attacking areas.

I do have to agree with the OP tho that Fam (when he could be bothered) would offer more of a threat in this team than Chris Martin is currently doing, even with the lack of creativity.

• Like 1

You have just got to be patient until the transfer window.
Most on here know we need some cutting edge up front. Fammy can take a run and jump (actually he rarely ran when I saw him play) as far as I am concerned. Will take a season to sort the side out but I have faith in NP and IMO he is doing a good job based on the hand he was dealt.

Gonna be a frustrating season for most of us but if City can continue to improve, then that is heading in the right direction. Still some strollers in the team that will need to be moved on if we can get a bid for them.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

A fully fit Martin can do that but he wasn’t at the races last night for whatever reason.

At Senior Reds a while ago Flint was asked who his hardest opponent was - without any hesitation he said “Chris Martin”

Martin is one of those who needs managing carefully. He really does.

If we don't manage him carefully, he will become steadily less effective and eventually we'll break him and he'll be out for some time. Definitely needs a rest IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Martin is one of those who needs managing carefully. He really does.

If we don't manage him carefully, he will become steadily less effective and eventually we'll break him and he'll be out for some time. Definitely needs a rest IMO.

Not sure he can get any less effective.

Just now, Super said:

Not sure he can get any less effective.

If you look at how other clubs managed him, in the case of Derby they let him build up his strengths and reserves, it partially coincided with recovery from an injury and then even then he was rotated and was both effective and fairly fit- as for the here and now, he got goals vs Reading and Blackpool and an assist, then a goal at QPR. It's clear though that the more he plays without proper rest and conditioning, the less use he will be.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If you look at how other clubs managed him, in the case of Derby they let him build up his strengths and reserves, it partially coincided with recovery from an injury and then even then he was rotated and was both effective and fairly fit- as for the here and now, he got goals vs Reading and Blackpool and an assist, then a goal at QPR. It's clear though that the more he plays without proper rest and conditioning, the less use he will be.

Like i said he would be ok 3rd or 4th choice not playing every game. He was feeble last night granted he wasn't the only one.

• Haha 1

I'd take someone who would score between 10-13 a season yes.

People forget he was fairly consistent at getting goals each year barring the last 6 months where he was mentally done.

He scored over 50 goals for this club and gets berated no end.

Weimann's got maybe half of that and he's lorded as our saviour. People will forget the amount of wins he got us just because it didn't end well. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1