IGNORED

Best Gins

CyderInACan

Ok maybe a bit niche, but two stand out for me I must admit 

favourite domestic gin https://whitleyneill.com/en_GB/product/quince-gin/

favourite international gin https://nordesgin.com/en/

got the Quince one at Cadbury Garden Centre. Really moreish.

got the Nordes at duty free in Madrid Barajas, really different, very crisp.   

Must admit I don't really do the flavoured gins, with the exception of Slingsby's rhubarb gin which is luuuuush.

So, in terms of London dry the three classics are Tanqueray, Beefeater and Plymouth. Also, three of the oldest gin recipes in the world that haven't changed for 100+ years. 

The Beefeater bottle shape is based on a London brick. Plymouth with a slice of lime is a classic. 

My favourite from those three brands though is Tanqueray no. 10, the export strength version. A heady 47.3% strength but I think it's a wonderful gin. Fabulous in cocktails too and a real favourite for mixologists. 

Another strong one I like is Tarquins "The Seadog" 57% but it's so smooth and full of flavour you'd never know, until the room starts spinning after a few. 

In terms of other gins, I like the Mediterranean ones like Gin Mare, Larios 12 and Malfi limone. 

In terms of local ones, Long Ashton's Shipe Shape and Bristol Fashion is very drinkable, Brecon gin is nice and very reasonably priced at about £18 a bottle. 6 o clock gin from Thornbury is reasonable, again I actually prefer their stronger Brunel version which comes in at 50% ?

Plenty more recommendations where that came from, and I haven't even got onto the Old Tom's... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd endorse @Kid in the Riot's selections.

Plymouth is the one I usually have stocked as I'm frequently down that way and I always stop in the Barbican to buy a bottle direct from the distillery - which has been operational since 1739*.

One of the newbies I recommend is the Lakes Gin, which is made up on the shores of Bassenthwaite Lake.  I take gin with an unflavoured Fever Tree tonic, but the Lakes' elderflower infused gin is one of the few flavoured gins I will happily quaff.

* I wasn't a customer until a few years later....

• Thanks 1

My personal favs.
Hoxton , great subtle coconut flavour. 
Friends brought us back some Dingle from Ireland, which is nice.
6 O'clock , damson is quite nice.

One I've looked for is Wint. Spanish and doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Probably building it up because I can't get it, and because they made such a fuss when serving. Always chilled the glass with ice, before putting fresh Ice in and then fruit. Very subtle taste if you get a chance I recommend it.

18 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

On the subject of gin, going to a gin school to make a bottle is a brilliant afternoons fun. 

Im sure there’ll be one in and around Bristol. 

Not a fan of gin personally. I much prefer rum.There is a rum making class at The Bristol and Bath Distillery, top of Park Street which was good fun.From what I can remember anyway.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

One I've looked for is Wint. Spanish and doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Probably building it up because I can't get it, and because they made such a fuss when serving. Always chilled the glass with ice, before putting fresh Ice in and then fruit. Very subtle taste if you get a chance I recommend it.

Whenever I have had a G&T in Spain, I have always chosen Larios as it seemed very similar to Gordon's - even a similar label - and, obviously, far cheaper.

I was in Valencia a few weeks ago and the barman suggested I try Wint.

I was sceptical, but tried it and was impressed - served as you say, although I declined the fruit. 

• Like 1

• Admin
On 30/09/2021 at 22:28, Maesknoll Red said:

I’ve had some nice craft Mediterranean gins through a wine club.
Below arrived today, yet to be opened and tried….

59389C81-DAAC-42F0-8963-177B03463B47.jpeg

Took the Jaffa Cake Gin on holiday last week, in the morning with 3/4 of the bottle empty, I could still taste it - not sure I’d make it a regular drink, but it made a change.  Now got this one from Chile, very good it is too!

B1FA7428-0251-40C3-9292-0F2B8294DA78.jpeg

• Like 1