IGNORED

Lansdown Q and A

frenchred

Steve Lansdown will be doing a live Q&A to guests in the Lansdown Stand ahead of City’s upcoming match against AFC Bournemouth (October 16th, 3pm).

There are limited tables left to book in the Lansdown Restaurant for this fixture, so to secure your hospitality package and to hear from City’s owner first-hand, supporters are encouraged to get in touch as soon as possible.

Tickets are available from £95+VAT per person.

You can contact the hospitality team on 0117 963 0630 or email hospitality@ashtongate.co.uk to secure your booking.

8 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Over £100 each to ask the mighty one a question then listen to a drawn out reply when we know the answer 

Its my club I've put more money in than you and I will do what I want

You're right, what have the Lansdown's ever done for us?

Edited by EmersonsKev
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

For every Mel Morris there is a Brighton owner, Norwich owner, burnley owner, Brentford owner.

Weak argument that everyone frightened of change refer to

Saying 'but he could've been better' while totally ignoring that he could have been a lot worse isn't much of an argument. We've all got our frustrations at not getting PL football in 20 years but you come across like someone with a real axe to grind.

Edited by RonWalker
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

I know it’s all relative, but how much have you put in this season?

£35 for the hospitality offer, i don’t believe WE seen much of the game though!

you’ve had less appearances than callum o dowda this season ain’t you?

2 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Saying 'but he could've been better' while totally ignoring that he could have been a lot worse isn't much of an argument. We've all got our frustrations at not getting PL football in 20 years but you come across like someone with a real axe to grind.

and forever quoting the derby owner who is in the headlines at the moment is no argument, vice versa

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

You’re treating SL as if he is a scheming villain though, when in fact he is a well meaning owner who has underachieved but pulled no underhand or illegal stunts to get the club in trouble.

Very true, I just believe his time has been, but I do realise I am in the minority

He is in no way a villain, just misguided in who he trusts to run and make decisions about the football club, which includes himself.

Financial prudence, playing by the rules is great, but there is another way too….as fans wouldn’t we have liked a bit of glory alongside a bit of mis-management, e.g. Tan at Cardiff.

I’m a bit mixed on him.  He hasn’t given the money to us….I still see it as an overall investment (with the Bristol Sport, land, housing, etc).

Others love him, some don’t. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He is in no way a villain, just misguided in who he trusts to run and make decisions about the football club, which includes himself.

Financial prudence, playing by the rules is great, but there is another way too….as fans wouldn’t we have liked a bit of glory alongside a bit of mis-management, e.g. Tan at Cardiff.

I’m a bit mixed on him.  He hasn’t given the money to us….I still see it as an overall investment (with the Bristol Sport, land, housing, etc).

Others love him, some don’t. 

A balanced and fair comment.

Any criticism of SL is always met with at least he's not Mel Morris, Tan, the Venkys or whoever the latest villain in the news happens to be.

But it's criticism that's developed out of sheer frustration that we could and should have done so much more with his financial backing. 

If I'm marking SL's homework it's

9/10 for effort 

6/10 for results

And 2/10 for performance with the recruitment of MA and LJ basically an expensive waste of 5 years.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

A balanced and fair comment.

Any criticism of SL is always met with at least he's not Mel Morris, Tan, the Venkys or whoever the latest villain in the news happens to be.

But it's criticism that's developed out of sheer frustration that we could and should have done so much more with his financial backing. 

If I'm marking SL's homework it's

9/10 for effort 

6/10 for results

And 2/10 for performance with the recruitment of MA and LJ basically an expensive waste of 5 years.

That sums up my feelings nicely, thank you!

So many mistakes over his tenure it's difficult to like the bloke now for me.

My question would be " Do you consider that the Board , including you, made a horribly wrong decision to employ Pulis instead of Moyes?"

With a follow up of "If you had recruited David Moyes at that time, do you now believe that City would have been a fixture in the Premier League if you had financially supported him as you did for another more recent City Head Coach?" 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

My question would be " Do you consider that the Board , including you, made a horribly wrong decision to employ Pulis instead of Moyes?"

With a follow up of "If you had recruited David Moyes at that time, do you now believe that City would have been a fixture in the Premier League if you had financially supported him as you did for another more recent City Head Coach?" 

Contraversial! You will have the lansdown lovers after you with that one!

Bentley, Kalas, DaSilva, Massengo, Williams, Weimann, Martin and Wells. Off the top of my head- where did Bakinson and Semenyo come from- academy or joined as youth. Think Bakinson was Luton wasn't he? A number of these still have potential sell-on value. Eliasson cost £2m, not bad for that...2nd highest assist maker in the division for 2019/20 despite being in and out of the side.

All came under MA, LJ and DH. I also think that certain players were mismanaged or had lengthy injuries- lengthy injuries negate what a player can do, it's hard to judge their true ability. Benkovic, Magnússon we did not arguably manage the best, I think it's a bit more mixed. Walsh is a good example of a player with potential but plenty of injuries...a fitter Hegeler, O'Neil and Djuric could have provided more, I just think it's a bit mixed. Nagy started great and then got injured fairly quickly and then was in and out. Someone like Henriksen was better suited to a 3 IMO but we persisted with him in a 2 and then he disappeared. OTOH, Diedhiou and value on the pitch proved to be a disaster- but it would not have been a good look had we sold him in Jan, when playoffs still not that far away pts wise and still in the Cup and just sort of settled. Edit, Taylor didn't provide masses but he didn't cost a huge amount either and provided one golden moment of course...ran all day and chipped in here and there.

OTOH not getting fees for any of those out of contract, not taking a hit sooner with some of them was a failure indeed. Lansbury instead of left back, was a shocker!!

@cidered abroad While I prefer Moyes to Pulis, it's worth noting that the only major failure over the bulk of his career for Pulis was...here. Something wrong with the club in the past?? Granted he was a poor choice indeed but his record elsewhere for a lot of his career has stood up to reasonable scrutiny.

There was of course Sheffield Wednesday last season, just never clicked with him there- 1 win in about 2 months or just under that, but largely he's had relative success.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bentley, Kalas, DaSilva, Massengo, Williams, Weimann, Martin and Wells. Off the top of my head- where did Bakinson and Semenyo come from- academy or joined as youth. Think Bakinson was Luton wasn't he? A number of these still have potential sell-on value. Eliasson cost £2m, not bad for that...2nd highest assist maker in the division for 2019/20 despite being in and out of the side.

All came under MA, LJ and DH. I also think that certain players were mismanaged or had lengthy injuries- lengthy injuries negate what a player can do, it's hard to judge their true ability. Benkovic, Magnússon we did not arguably manage the best, I think it's a bit more mixed. Walsh is a good example of a player with potential but plenty of injuries...a fitter Hegeler and Djuric could have provided more, I just think it's a bit mixed. Nagy started great and then got injured fairly quickly and then was in and out. Someone like Henriksen was better suited to a 3 IMO but we persisted with him in a 2 and then he disappeared. OTOH, Diedhiou and value on the pitch proved to be a disaster- but it would not have been a good look had we sold him in Jan, when playoffs still not that far away  pts wise and still in the Cup and just sort of settled.

OTOH not getting fees for any of those out of contract, not taking a hit sooner with some of them was a failure indeed. Lansbury instead of left back, was a shocker!!

@cidered abroad While I prefer Moyes to Pulis, it's worth noting that the only major failure over the bulk of his career for Pulis was...here. Something wrong with the club in the past?? Granted he was a poor choice indeed but his record elsewhere for a lot of his career has stood up to reasonable scrutiny.

I think you’ve just made me choose my Q.

”when Gary Weaver broadcast on Sky that the Bristol City CEO had told him that owner wouldn’t sell Diedhiou because we’d see our value on the pitch - did you actually say that, and do you think you did get value”

• Like 2

@Mr Popodopolous Pulis did **** all at Boro, not just us.

His record at Wednesday was awful too & West Brom fans hate him just as much as we do.

His success at Stoke (built on Neanderthal football & thuggery) is pretty much his peak but even they got bored of smashing the ball down the pitch & kicking the opposition off the park eventually.

Edited by GrahamC

6 hours ago, frenchred said:

For every Mel Morris there is a Brighton owner, Norwich owner, burnley owner, Brentford owner.

Burnley are owned by an American investment company that owns dozens of different sports teams and absolutely want to make money on the transaction.  None of the directors are fans of Burnley. The club was bought with a high-interest loan secured against the equity of the value of the team and club assets. I don't think it'll end well for The Clarets.

https://www.sportico.com/business/sales/2021/alk-capital-burnley-debt-1234621513/

Haven't got time to write more. Just off to se the bank to secure a loan to buy Man U using the value of the club's assets as security.... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

@Mr Popodopolous Pulis did **** all at Boro, not just us.

His record at Wednesday was awful too & West Brom fans hate him just as much as we do.

His success at Stoke (built on Neanderthal football & thuggery) is pretty much his peak but even they got bored of smashing the ball down the pitch & kicking the opposition off the park eventually.

Not very popular at Pompey either, Gray, :laughcont:

It's worth noting that he did the same during his first stint at Stoke as he did with us: sack off all their foreign signings, bring in a number of unfit journeyman and play Route One hoofball.  It was only during his second stint there that he decided to play slightly more nuanced football. 

Still his many clubs, did at least mean a varied career bench-warming for his talent-free son Anthony Pulis Jr. Plus it was good news for the makers of brown envelopes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Not very popular at Pompey either, Gray, :laughcont:

It's worth noting that he did the same during his first stint at Stoke as he did with us: sack off all their foreign signings, bring in a number of unfit journeyman and play Route One hoofball.  It was only during his second stint there that he decided to play slightly more nuanced football. 

Still his many clubs, did at least mean a varied career bench-warming for his talent-free son Anthony Pulis Jr. Plus it was good news for the makers of brown envelopes. 

Did he ever mention to you how much work he does for charity?

I only ask because if he didn’t, you must be the only person in Western Europe that he didn’t.

• Haha 2