IGNORED

Old Boys Reunion

Silvio Dante

Great bloke, great player.

Remember one of those legends events & it was hilarious to see virtually everyone of my vintage (Biff & I were born in the same year) was crowding around him, he made the absolute most of everything he had as a player to have a brilliant career & still looks in pretty good shape for his late 50s.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, tin said:

Didn't realise Newman was at Man City for 12 years. I can't help but think he'd have been perfect for the head of recruitment/sporting director role down here. 

I know someone who spoke to him, he was going to Barcelona one week, Paris the next..

When you add what Man City can pay we would have had absolutely no chance of employing him.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Super said:

What a job Moyes is doing there by the way. I doubt many West Ham fans want him out now.

Yeah lots of glory hunter fans took the piss out of him because he wasn't given the support or time other managers were given at Man Utd. So many memes and gifs going around about him and again he is proving hes a top manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I know someone who spoke to him, he was going to Barcelona one week, Paris the next..

When you add what Man City can pay we would have had absolutely no chance of employing him.

Fair points.

Mind you, two things: 1) being offered head of recruitment/sporting director is still a promotion from being an international scouting and recruitment manager at whatever club; 2) why would he ever leave Man City if he was that attached to the travel and his wages?

I doubt his new role at West Ham will offer the same travel opportunities and I can't imagine West Ham paying much more than Man City. Maybe he just fancied a new challenge. IMO, the HoR/SD position is one we've needed filling here for some time and if you don't ask, you don't get. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

He was playing at 44 so no shock. He was at Bournemouth just before the Russian cash and had to turn out as they had so little players - played a lot of stiffs games and against Rovers in the LDV

To be fair he could probably face them now & still make their rabble look piss poor.

Let’s face it, when Biff made connection with the ball it went off like a rocket, he scored some crackers for us.

5 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Yea Man Utd job was too big for him, he is better at taking a lower premiership team and turning them into top 10 team 

I dont think the Man Utd job was to big for him

Taking over from Sir Alex and the mess he left the squad was to much for him

Had he been backed like OGS has been he would have been fine

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Showed how good he was playing CM top-flight for Norwich.  Was a key player for them in their euro glory days.

Always reminded me of Desperate Dan with his chin.

One of my all time City favourites. Always 100% and chucked in the deep end Feb 1982 at 18 when the club was skint. Became a key figure in our revival. Knew he’d been at Man City a while and great to see him alongside Moysie, another good un. Known as Buzz Lightyear when boss at Cambridge United. The chin innit. Wish them both much success at the ‘Ammers.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

I dont think the Man Utd job was to big for him

Taking over from Sir Alex and the mess he left the squad was to much for him

Had he been backed like OGS has been he would have been fine

Some would say that Moyes contributed to the mess, remind me who he brought into Man U?

Top man biffer . Remember  after a  game in kickers club in the old grandstand he found out I was getting married. Where you going on your stag night?. Obviously  before the days of going abroad I said probably  in town . Come down weston where he lived I will sort it out . True to his word he got 50 of us in Mr B's  .Said to the doormen thier all with me .Didn't  pay a penny to get in aswell ?

15 hours ago, tin said:

Fair points.

Mind you, two things: 1) being offered head of recruitment/sporting director is still a promotion from being an international scouting and recruitment manager at whatever club; 2) why would he ever leave Man City if he was that attached to the travel and his wages?

I doubt his new role at West Ham will offer the same travel opportunities and I can't imagine West Ham paying much more than Man City. Maybe he just fancied a new challenge. IMO, the HoR/SD position is one we've needed filling here for some time and if you don't ask, you don't get. 

May be he’d had enough of all the travelling. At first it’s all a bit exciting and exotic but pretty soon it becomes a tiring pain and your home life suffers. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

May be he’d had enough of all the travelling. At first it’s all a bit exciting and exotic but pretty soon it becomes a tiring pain and your home life suffers. 

You are absolutely right as I found out myself Major. Funny thing is, I almost didn't realise until it all stopped, my stress levels dropped to zero.

Back to Biff though.... 

The quiz question should be

"Name the positions Rob Newman never played for Bristol City"