IGNORED

Peterborough United away match day thread

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Martin is not an aerial target man, he’s 5’10” not 6’3”….but is a target chest down where he can use his frame (big arse) to hold his marker off.

Martin is at his best when he gets runners around him.  Clever touches, layoffs.

We didn’t do that on Wednesday, too often our attacks were from too far away from Martin and Weimann.  That is an area to improve.  Both Williams and James are players that like to get close, Scott too.

Sometimes a player can play poorly themselves, sometimes it’s because of what’s happening around him.  Wednesday was a bit of both imho.

Hes been a bit in and out the last few games.

I suspect there might be some interesting reactions on OTIB at 2pm when the teamsheet is announced.

He's an extremley intelligent footballer, the sort of nasty guy who you don't want against you.

He lacks pace of course, but play to his strengths and he is still a top level Championship player.

Trouble is, he can't play two games a week for long now and thats starting to show.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Leaving to watch Manor Farm in a minute. Going to be a test of just how waterproof my coat actually is.

Ha. Mine isn't (although it should be), but I wear it just so that no one thinks I'm a wierdo for not wearing a coat in the rain. At least it keeps my headphones from getting too wet.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

Martin makes Fam look like lightening, and he wore concrete boots ! …:bounce:

Chris Marin is a far better footballer than Fam will ever be, CM also puts in a shift for the team, Fam was about Fam and was just only about himself and not the team.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, M.D said:

Chris Marin is a far better footballer than Fam will ever be, CM also puts in a shift for the team, Fam was about Fam and was just only about himself and not the team.

Completely agree. Martin is also much fitter than Fam and will run (admittedly slowly) all day for us. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, M.D said:

I never said CM wasn’t a better player than Fam , neither did I say he didn’t put in a shift for the team , I do however think that he’s not the quickest and would play NW in his place . 

15 minutes ago, M.D said:

He's an extremley intelligent footballer, the sort of nasty guy who you don't want against you.

He lacks pace of course, but play to his strengths and he is still a top level Championship player.

Trouble is, he can't play two games a week for long now and thats starting to show.

Exactly this, a sharp fully rested Chris Martin I see as an asset, an overused Chris Martin with legs/muscles still not recovered from the last 90 mins does nothing for us. He was awful against Millwall.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, M.D said:

It’s the three games a week that does him.  ???

7 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Completely agree. Martin is also much fitter than Fam and will run (admittedly slowly) all day for us. 

If used properly 

4 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

I never said CM wasn’t a better player than Fam , neither did I say he didn’t put in a shift for the team , I do however think that he’s not the quickest and would play NW in his place . 

Agree, CM should be used for matches but not all, NW has pace and can finish, use them both to our needs because we need an upgrade up front

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Exactly this, a sharp fully rested Chris Martin I see as an asset, an overused Chris Martin with legs/muscles still not recovered from the last 90 mins does nothing for us. He was awful against Millwall.

He needs a rest

Just now, Davefevs said:

It’s the three games a week that does him.  ???

Absolutly 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Ha. Mine isn't (although it should be), but I wear it just so that no one thinks I'm a wierdo for not wearing a coat in the rain. At least it keeps my headphones from getting too wet.

Got a new one a few days ago. Old one wasn't as waterproof as it claimed and I'd end up soaked through regardless.

1 minute ago, Rossi the Robin said:

My neighbour who is a Derby fan says Chris Martin is one of the best players in the Championship and my colleague, a Reading fan says he is the worst player who has ever played for them. 
Don’t know what my point is but thought I’d mention it. 

One of my friends who lives in Derby says he was a chalk & cheese player with the fans, i.e. some thought he was good, others thought he was a poor option.

Can't argue that he is an intelligent player, but his movement limitations are really limiting what we can get out of him. Wells, if fit, is surely a better option even the raw Janneh would offer more threat than Martin does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Really hoping Chris 'slow coach' Martin is not picked to start again, but that may depend on whether Wells is fit or not.

Typical. Yes he wasn’t at his best Wednesday but he gets battered by defenders every game. His hold up play & first touch generally is very good. Yes he lacks pace but we knew that when we signed. I’d much rather have him up top than trampoline foot fam 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

Completely different player to Wells though. You need to change the way to play to feed Wells as the main striker. Away from home Martin is the perfect front man to hold the ball up & take pressure off the back four 

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Typical. Yes he wasn’t at his best Wednesday but he gets battered by defenders every game. His hold up play & first touch generally is very good. Yes he lacks pace but we knew that when we signed. I’d much rather have him up top than trampoline foot fam 

Agree he gets battered by defenders, agree his hold up play & first touch can be good when he is sharp and is certainly better than Fam offered. The issue is that by continually picking him to start 2/3 games a week, he is not sharp, in fact getting more laboured each game, and is really contributing little to us. Fully rested up he is an asset, not flogged he isn't.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Agree he gets battered by defenders, agree his hold up play & first touch can be good when he is sharp and is certainly better than Fam offered. The issue is that by continually picking him to start 2/3 games a week, he is not sharp, in fact getting more laboured each game, and is really contributing little to us. Fully rested up he is an asset, not flogged he isn't.

We have little choice away from home especially. I will get answers of , we should of bought one in the summer but I’m 100% in agreement that you should only bring in better than you already have , otherwise you stagnate.
we haven’t got the money at the moment so we have to cope  

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Wells isn’t fit is he . So who do you think who’s better that  leads the line . Especially away from home ? 

Anyone. Try Vyner up there. He had a few good games in midfield last season. Playing Martin is like playing with ten men. Hope Weimann decides to join in today.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1