IGNORED

Chris Martin

Jimbo76

There's a very (ahem) vocal young woman who sits behind us in the South Stand who expresses her opinion constantly throughout the game.  She has been known to shout "SCORE" at random points of the game - I'm glad she does because I don't think that the players thought about that.

Anyway, every now and again, she shouts "GO ON CHRIS MARTIN, THE LEAD SINGER OF COLDPLAY".  I'm confused as I'm sure Chris Martin is - why is she cheering on someone who isn't even in the ground?

Thought you'd like to read that even though it doesn't say anything about him as a player...

Edited by Vespa Red
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He's no world beater but nor is he the complete donkey that sections of our fanbase make him out to be either.

He's a useful Championship striker who needs managing carefully so as not to be overworked and run into the ground, which admittedly is easier said than done with our resources up front.

Agreed. Chris Martin is a great pro but brimming with class every week he ain't. However, great pro's are what we need right now with the budgetary constraints Steve has asked Nige to work to. We have to take the rough with the smooth and accept that for the game we got at Millwall we will then get a finish at the death today that had Mitrovic buried it we would have been saying "that's what £60K per week gets you at this level".

• Like 2

He had some chances in the first half, then he seemed to disappear for a while in the second half...until he made a powerful run on the left, who led to a chance: after that, he created problems to the Posh defence, and a good header was followed by the goal some minutes later.  :worship2:

I still think we should not overuse him (one of the reasons why I would have given Bell a chance in the 2nd half), but today he made the difference again.

6 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

He had some chances in the first half, then he seemed to disappear for a while in the second half...until he made a powerful run on the left, who led to a chance: after that, he created problems to the Posh defence, and a good header was followed by the goal some minutes later.  :worship2:

I still think we should not overuse him (one of the reasons why I would have given Bell a chance in the 2nd half), but today he made the difference again.

Had three headers saved in the second half too.

Really chuffed for him today.

I have to admit when I saw that Wells was not fit, and that Martin was starting, especially after Millwall where he really didn't play well I was worried, but what a way to ram that down my throat, class finish.

• Like 3

In an ideal world he wouldn’t be playing as much, but that’s certainly not his fault.

We have signed much worse for higher fees (I acknowledge his wages are probably top end for us, though).

Clever. experienced striker who has 4 goals in 11 games & already won us some vital points.

Be great if Wells was back after the international break to share the load but he’s doing a sound job overall.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

In an ideal world he wouldn’t be playing as much, but that’s certainly not his fault.

We have signed much worse for higher fees (I acknowledge his wages are probably top end for us, though).

Clever. experienced striker who has 4 goals in 11 games & already won us some vital points.

Be great if Wells was back after the international break to share the load but he’s doing a sound job overall.

I`m not sure they are - wasn`t it length of contract that allegedly swung it for us? Probably on a decent wedge though for all that.

Everyone can see what he can’t do but it’s not always obvious what he can do. His strengths are holding the ball and laying it off to midfield players.  Unfortunately, we’ve got a lot of midfield players who hardly ever score and don’t run into attacking positions to take advantage of his positional play. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1