IGNORED

Chris Martin

Jimbo76

17 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

I'm just starting my second bottle of Malbec & that says he'll bag us a few...?

You’ve gone up in my estimation. Two bottles of Malbec on a Saturday evening and you’re still compos mentis! We need more people like this on the forum. There is the crossbar challenge at matches, so why not the Malbec challenge? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The best, in terms of scoring are Weimann with 57 in 335, though a lot have come when he’s played as a forward, and O’Dowda with 57 in 335

That just caught my eye. That's quite a surprising statistic, or it is to me, at any rate. Leaving aside for the moment the finer points of which position he plays, the guy is, essentially, a winger and a goal in - on average - every sixth game, is actually pretty good going for a wide man. If he's done that over the course of his career so far (and I haven't checked the accuracy of the data - wouldn't know where to look, in fact), then given his issues with injury, that's really rather impressive. Doesn't quite fit the narrative about him being a waste of space, does it? (Which some people will find annoyingly inconvenient.)

And on the subject of injury, I can't now remember the details, but when he had his very bad ankle damage and was out for a long period, it was at a time when there was a particularly heavy cloak of silence about players' injury status. However, it did eventually leak out that he had had some fairly heavy-duty surgery, with, I believe, some metal-work having to be done to the joint - pinning, or a plate inserted, I'm not sure exactly what. I also remember hints that it had looked a bit touch-and-go at one stage whether it might turn out to be a potential career-ending situation, which might help to explain why any knock to that area tends to cause anxiety and a lot of caution about how he's treated. It seems to have been largely forgotten that he's had to work his way back from that extremely serious problem, and has had setbacks along the way.

For the record, I'm not a great fan of his, especially, but as ever on OTIB, we do see some disproportionate criticism of individual players. I notice, for example, that some posters have been coming to the defence of Chris Martin, and quite rightly so, following a series of unnecessarily abusive remarks about a very experienced and capable forward who is deservedly well respected in the game. O'Dowda still has a lot to prove, but he's a better player than some people on the forum would have us all believe.   

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

That just caught my eye. That's quite a surprising statistic, or it is to me, at any rate. Leaving aside for the moment the finer points of which position he plays, the guy is, essentially, a winger and a goal in - on average - every sixth game, is actually pretty good going for a wide man. If he's done that over the course of his career so far (and I haven't checked the accuracy of the data - wouldn't know where to look, in fact), then given his issues with injury, that's really rather impressive. Doesn't quite fit the narrative about him being a waste of space, does it? (Which some people will find annoyingly inconvenient.)

And on the subject of injury, I can't now remember the details, but when he had his very bad ankle damage and was out for a long period, it was at a time when there was a particularly heavy cloak of silence about players' injury status. However, it did eventually leak out that he had had some fairly heavy-duty surgery, with, I believe, some metal-work having to be done to the joint - pinning, or a plate inserted, I'm not sure exactly what. I also remember hints that it had looked a bit touch-and-go at one stage whether it might turn out to be a potential career-ending situation, which might help to explain why any knock to that area tends to cause anxiety and a lot of caution about how he's treated. It seems to have been largely forgotten that he's had to work his way back from that extremely serious problem, and has had setbacks along the way.

For the record, I'm not a great fan of his, especially, but as ever on OTIB, we do see some disproportionate criticism of individual players. I notice, for example, that some posters have been coming to the defence of Chris Martin, and quite rightly so, following a series of unnecessarily abusive remarks about a very experienced and capable forward who is deservedly well respected in the game. O'Dowda still has a lot to prove, but he's a better player than some people on the forum would have us all believe.   

ON reflection, I should probably have posted that on the COD thread, but have no idea how to move it, or whether that's even possible.

6 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It doesn’t matter if there is only one midfielder who doesn’t score often, but it does matter if the entire midfield is bereft of goals, which was the point I was making. To be successful a team can’t just have a couple of good forwards. Most of the other players must chip in with a few goals here or there. That isn’t going to happen with the current crop of midfielders, good as they are. 
Joe Williams - 2 league goals in 102 appearances 

H N M - 2 in 78

James - 10 in 78

Semenyo - 8 in 93 (only 2 at Championship level)

The best, in terms of scoring are Weimann with 57 in 335, though a lot have come when he’s played as a forward, and O’Dowda with 57 in 335

There has been a lot of talk about the need to sign a 20 goals per season. We do, but we also need to sign a goal scoring midfielder. Put this new player with Williams, HNM, and James and we’d have a good midfield 

Are you sure ?

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Are you sure ?

Think O’Dowda’s scored fewer than Weimann (and doesn’t have exactly the same record as Weimann).

To some of the Gerard comparisons made, whilst his career record to date doesn’t imply this is likely, wonder if Williams playing slightly further forward could be a decent goal scoring midfielder? Looked dangerous with head and feet yesterday in forward positions. 

Just now, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think O’Dowda’s scored fewer than Weimann (and doesn’t have exactly the same record as Weimann).

To some of the Gerard comparisons made, whilst his career record to date doesn’t imply this is likely, wonder if Williams playing slightly further forward could be a decent goal scoring midfielder? Looked dangerous with head and feet yesterday in forward positions. 

I'd be surprised if COD has scored much more than 20 goals in his career.

56 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

For avoidance of doubt:

image.png.b079759b00cd31a2cffa0b3892e93ba5.png

Maybe a copy and paste error from Weimann.

12 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It doesn’t matter if there is only one midfielder who doesn’t score often, but it does matter if the entire midfield is bereft of goals, which was the point I was making. To be successful a team can’t just have a couple of good forwards. Most of the other players must chip in with a few goals here or there. That isn’t going to happen with the current crop of midfielders, good as they are. 
Joe Williams - 2 league goals in 102 appearances 

H N M - 2 in 78

James - 10 in 78

Semenyo - 8 in 93 (only 2 at Championship level)

There has been a lot of talk about the need to sign a 20 goals per season. We do, but we also need to sign a goal scoring midfielder. Put this new player with Williams, HNM, and James and we’d have a good midfield 

Callum O'Dowda, career record according to Wikipedia.

262 games. League/Cup/Internationals

22 goals.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For avoidance of doubt:

image.png.b079759b00cd31a2cffa0b3892e93ba5.png

Maybe a copy and paste error from Weimann.

Right, only just saw this. That’ll be why the figures surprised me, then - they’re wrong. Oh well. Thanks Dave. Rather undermines my argument (though I’d maintain it doesn’t invalidate it entirely).