IGNORED

Joe Williams

TonyTonyTony

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

All-action….exactly what we need / needed.

Think I’d be happy to see him playing the Brownhill-role when Massengo back…links well with Tanner too.

Huge bonus he was fit to start, even bigger bonus was to get 90 out of him.

Didn’t watch it today but he was great v Fulham & we were much worse in midfield when he went off against Millwall . I saw enough when he played for wigan to know he’d be a asset . Shame it’s taken so long to get him fit but let’s take the positives . We got a real good un in joe 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

Because it was.

Unless you'd like to..... contradict the Official Site?! 

I watched goals on the Sky app and it looked like Williams had leapt above the defender - not that it matters that much.

Edited by Robbored

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I watched goals on the Sky app and it looked like Williams had left above the defender - not that it matters that much.

I watched on Robins TV from Canada, it was definitely an OG. Agree it doesn't matter. 

It is nice that former Swindon knob Thompson scored an OG though....

• Like 4

Love him. Just what we need. Saw glimpses of it at Millwall and again today but he likes a chirp and wants to get involved.

About time we had some gob in there who is not afraid to put a foot in.

Bet he is great around the club too.

Keep him fit and and others have said, a midfield of Williams, James and Massengo is very very exciting.

Anyone who watched Williams play against us, either for Bolton or Wigan in recent years, knows what he’s capable of when fully fit.

I was impressed by him every time he played against us, either through his tenacity or set pieces and it’s great to see him starting to show that quality in a City shirt at long last. The fitter he gets, the better he gets.

• Like 1

What a player he looks, and he doesn’t even seem to be fully fit yet.  Head and shoulders the best player on the pitch today, even if Smozdicss was determined to prove otherwise.    Very difficult playing conditions that really tested fitness levels, but sheer bloody minded determination and commitment right until the end kept us going and carved out the chance for the win. 

Credit also to Chris Martin. Gets a lot of stick, including from.myself on occasion if I’m honest, but put in.a massive shift today and what a great goal for the winner.  Take a bow mate, proper grafting performance.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Massengo, Williams and James look like our best midfield trio, but whilst not winning the most statistically valid sample of the year award, think interesting that King’s 6 starts have delivered 11 points, the 5 he didn’t start, 5 points. A lot to be said for someone unobtrusively keeping things chugging along. 

Definitely, King is very under-rated just reads, breaks up play and moves the ball on and does it under the radar too. Good addition to the team.

• Like 1

Echoing all above, I thought he was excellent.

I thought it was telling when Alex Ball said on the commentary for the Millwall game that Williams was one of the most competitive players he has come across and he even argues with him when he refs 5 a-side games in training.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Love him. Just what we need. Saw glimpses of it at Millwall and again today but he likes a chirp and wants to get involved.

About time we had some gob in there who is not afraid to put a foot in.

Bet he is great around the club too.

Keep him fit and and others have said, a midfield of Williams, James and Massengo is very very exciting.

Hopefully this will be the holy trinity against Bournemouth and we give them a hell of a game 

4 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Don’t like to put too much pressure on him but……he’s got a bit of Steven Gerrard about him….

He plays in a similar style, obviously nowhere near the level.

3 hours ago, tin said:

Anyone who watched Williams play against us, either for Bolton or Wigan in recent years, knows what he’s capable of when fully fit.

I was impressed by him every time he played against us, either through his tenacity or set pieces and it’s great to see him starting to show that quality in a City shirt at long last. The fitter he gets, the better he gets.

Yep, a fair few of us thought he was exactly the signing we needed last season, such a shame he got injured. Massive boost to get through 90 mins today…for him and us.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mozo said:

I do see Willliams as a poor man's Stevie G; fiercely competitive anywhere on the pitch and a lot of quality in his play. 

Good to see James and Williams both play important roles in the goals.

That is such a good shout and not something I’d spotted before. Even a poor man’s Gerrard would be a significantly better midfielder than most so I hope you’re right!

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

When’s Massengo back? A midfield trio of him, JW & MJ looks really strong. 

I think those 3 will play the bulk of 3/4s of the midfield minutes this season if they stay fit.

I’m getting the impression that the fitness stuff is because (as quoted) Nige doesn’t really want to rotate.

Massengo and Williams are capable of defending large spaces because of their speed / athleticism….that’s a bit of a Gamechanger for us over recent years.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Massengo and Williams are capable of defending large spaces because of their speed / athleticism

And as stated by Rennie the speed and athleticism of the centre-backs, and presumably skill, means you can push your midfield futher up the pitch as you don't need all of them to cover all of the time.

• Like 3