IGNORED

COD today ?

DT The Optimist

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

That’s not true . I’ve never looked at his goal return , he’s a winger so you wouldn’t expect many goals. What I expect is 1 for him to be more robust , he goes down to easy , needs to use his body / arms to protect himself , he’s a big Lad. 
2 run with his head up . If I could do it without looking at the ball constantly with it at my feet then he should be able to.

3 decision making . When to release the ball &not running into trouble. That’s partly linked to my second point. 
 He’s one of the most frustrating players we’ve signed . Physically he’s got everything to succeed . He needs to grow up mentally in footballing terms 

I agree with all 3 points.

He doesn't use his body to protect the ball or push opponents around and ends up on his arse more often than not, he needs to watch Martin in that respect to pick up a few pointers.

I've been banging on for years for him to play with his head up, but no consistent sign of it.

The amount of times I've seen him bomb forward, stop, then go back resulting in no end product.

But by most accounts he had a decent game today and got some good crosses in.

Maybe the penny has dropped and I truly hope it has because its holding him back imho.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I agree with all 3 points.

He doesn't use his body to protect the ball or push opponents around and ends up on his arse more often than not, he needs to watch Martin in that respect to pick up a few pointers.

I've been banging on for years for him to play with his head up, but no consistent sign of it.

The amount of times I've seen him bomb forward, stop, then go back resulting in no end product.

But by most accounts he had a decent game today and got some good crosses in.

Maybe the penny has dropped and I truly hope it has because its holding him back imho.

Hopefully so. I genuinely never want a player to fail . I really do wonder how the hell he’s got to championship standard without being told not to stare at his boots though. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think O'Dowda is physically strong. It's the main reason why he wins so many free kicks.

There is a very good player In there no doubt ..he has to sort his fitness issues first then I believe we have a top player, it hasn't quite happened yet and time is running out for him but if anyone can bring it out its pearson but its in his hands. 

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

You missed his goal saving tackle first half then?

COD was very good today. Some great crosses first half which players couldn’t get on the end of.  Lovely linking with Pring

To be fair it was a hardly a goal saving tackle but a standard bit of tracking a runner and he slid the ball out of play.  I’d expect him to do that without much thinking.  If we are considering this type of play as worthy of such plaudits then I think we are being massively generous.

FWIW I thought he was ok today, some decent bits but spells of the game passing him by. Some good crosses that threatened, one ball nipped away from Thompson.   I’d probably give him between a 6.0 and a 6.5 out of 10 (I don’t like giving halves though).

For context (not doing halves for anyone else):

Bents 7, Tanner 7, Kalas 6, Atkinson 6, Pring 6, Williams 8, James 7, King 5, O’Dowda 6 and a bit, Weimann 5, Martin 7….Scott 6.

Its about opinions.  I think he gets some unfair stick on here, like on Wednesday, but I think some also give him a easy time and he lives off Norwich a bit too much.

I really hope Nige gets more out of him.  He’s just coming back from injury.  Maybe we will see that after the international break.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

To be fair it was a hardly a goal saving tackle but a standard bit of tracking a runner and he slid the ball out of play.  I’d expect him to do that without much thinking.  If we are considering this type of play as worthy of such plaudits then I think we are being massively generous.

FWIW I thought he was ok today, some decent bits but spells of the game passing him by. Some good crosses that threatened, one ball nipped away from Thompson.   I’d probably give him between a 6.0 and a 6.5 out of 10 (I don’t like giving halves though).

Bents 7, Tanner 7, Kalas 6, Atkinson 6, Pring 6, Williams 8, James 7, King 5, O’Dowda 6 and a bit, Weimann 5, Martin 7….Scott 6.

Its about opinions.  I think he gets some unfair stick on here, like on Wednesday, but I think some also give him a easy time and he lives off Norwich a bit too much.

I really hope Nige gets more out of him.  He’s just coming back from injury.  Maybe we will see that after the international break.

I was quite positive when he joined us , but I think his confidence has been knocked by injury. Still a decent player though, but needs a run of games or at least 60 mins to build his fitness and confidence (providing the fans don’t bin him off first)

16 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Ran and ran while he was on with little end product as per normal,there is a player in there but not sure we can keep waiting after this season is done and dusted 

Sounded like there was quite a bit of end product from him, but the strikers were unable to capitalise on some of his passes/crosses. Whether that was the quality of the ball, defender or striker I don't know. 

9 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Hes shit mate when you think we got rid of Smozdics and kept him oh god .

According to web sources Callum O Dowda earns £436,000 a year at City, excluding apearance and goal bonuses etc .

That's 3 x times the salary of the Prime Minister (not this he's much more useful tbf). 

Think about that for a minute..

5 minutes ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

According to web sources Callum O Dowda earns £436,000 a year at City, excluding apearance and goal bonuses etc .

That's 3 x times the salary of the Prime Minister (not this he's much more useful tbf). 

But the Prime Minister lives rent free, food and bills paid etc. He only has to worry about the CSA. 

26 minutes ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

Personally I’d be amazed if he’s “only” on £8k p.w. having negotiated his contract when he did.  I suspect he’s on somewhere around the £12k+ mark.  

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Personally I’d be amazed if he’s “only” on £8k p.w. having negotiated his contract when he did.  I suspect he’s on somewhere around the £12k+ mark.  

Out of likes but I’ve heard of that sort of level Fevs. I’m sure your data would prove the total cost of having him on the books to date.

When you take that into account over the 5 years he’s been here, it’s quite incredible (for me personally at least) that for some a reasonable performance for 45 minutes against Peterborough (and history would suggest we’re unlikely to get much more this season) has redeeming qualities. 

He’s had more than enough time and more than enough chances to fulfil any sort of potential or promise. 

Apart from all that for me there are just better midfielders in the squad now, who actually have taken their chance and started to fulfil their potential, who should always start ahead of him when fit. 

Perhaps that’s the only reason he’s in the team right now therefore; once everyone is fit again it’ll be interesting to see what happens. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, One Team said:

Out of likes but I’ve heard of that sort of level Fevs. I’m sure your data would prove the total cost of having him on the books to date.

When you take that into account over the 5 years he’s been here, it’s quite incredible (for me personally at least) that for some a reasonable performance for 45 minutes against Peterborough (and history would suggest we’re unlikely to get much more this season) has redeeming qualities. 

He’s had more than enough time and more than enough chances to fulfil any sort of potential or promise. 

Apart from all that for me there are just better midfielders in the squad now, who actually have taken their chance and started to fulfil their potential, who should always start ahead of him when fit. 

Perhaps that’s the only reason he’s in the team right now therefore; once everyone is fit again it’ll be interesting to see what happens. 

Condensed version = he’s shit 

• Haha 1

In theory, COD is an important player for us.  That’s at least what he should be if he can get fit and start showing some consistency.  He is a natural wide midfield player who, when on form, can run well with the ball, beat players and create space and better chances for other attackers  his link up play is decent, he can get up and down the line pretty well to provide attacking threat and defensive cover, and he can even chip in with a few goals himself, though to be fair I can’t actually remember the last time he scored.  We don’t have too many others who play that role as a natural part of their game and he did give us an extra dimension for a lot of the first half on Saturday before visibly falling off the pace.   Not surprising given the come back from injury, but this coming back from injury and flitting in and out of the team has been his major issue over the last couple of years at City.  I think he has real potential and can give us really good options, but he’s got to get and stay fit and motivated and there’s a big question mark attached to whether he can do that.  

I think there is a bit of wishful thinking in there. COD has had reasonably long runs in the team and imo has failed to deliver much. Yes he is a natural wide player who CAN run forward with the ball. However he invariably stops and turns backwards or falls over under a weak challenge, looking for a freekick he'll never get. I just think he doesn't have the quality and we'd be better off moving him on. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think there is a bit of wishful thinking in there. COD has had reasonably long runs in the team and imo has failed to deliver much. Yes he is a natural wide player who CAN run forward with the ball. However he invariably stops and turns backwards or falls over under a weak challenge, looking for a freekick he'll never get. I just think he doesn't have the quality and we'd be better off moving him on. 

I can do this for 12k a week plus whack it in to the box. Where do I sign?

• Like 1

I've always liked Callum in spite of his performances!!  Really think he could be a player but he does need to show it as he's not a kid any more.

If you look back at some of the YouTube videos of his performances for Oxford you'll see what his natural game actually is - a very direct skilful winger.

I truly believe the lad has been completely bamboozled by being overcoached by successive managers (we all know the chief culprit) and his willingness to comply and do what's been asked ultimately hasn't helped his game progress.  

NP is different.  He admits himself that he isn't a tactical mastermind, but what is doing is building an environment where players feel trusted to play their own game and take responsibility for their own performances rather than just do as they are told.  (I know what kind of environment I would perform best in).

If he can stay fit I wouldn't be surprised to see a Bobby Reid type of transformation that will win over the doubters.  

Edited by Red Skin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

I've always liked Callum in spite of his performances!!  Really think he could be a player but he does need to show it as he's not a kid any more.

If you look back at some of the YouTube videos of his performances for Oxford you'll see what his natural game actually is - a very direct skilful winger.

I truly believe the lad has been completely bamboozled by being overcoached by successive managers (we all know the chief culprit) and his willingness to comply and do what's been asked ultimately hasn't helped his game progress.  

NP is different.  He admits himself that he isn't a tactical mastermind, but what is doing is building an environment where players feel trusted to play their own game and take responsibility for their own performances rather than just do as they are told.  (I know what kind of environment I would perform best in).

If he can stay fit I wouldn't be surprised to see a Bobby Reid type of transformation that will win over the doubters.  

I hope so too.  I’m as critical of him as most, albeit I’d never say he’s crap (he’s not).  He just needs to be more effective.  Saturday he was fine, not brill….but as it was his first start back he’s gonna take a little while to get going.  I’d like to see him off the right too at times

If anyone is gonna get him firing it’s Nige imho..

On 03/10/2021 at 10:56, BCFCinNW6 said:

This tells you everything you need to know about the current state of football, and has absolutely nothing to do with COD. The one thing I've noticed is COD does a much more comprehensible interview than the current PM. 

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thought he played pretty well on Saturday and had the beating of the full back and was unlucky when he got to the byeline that there was no one on the end of his cutback crosses.

However, the way I’m looking at it is to ask the question, if he was playing elsewhere with the playing record over the last 3 years that he’s had with us,   would he be the type of player Pearson would be looking to bring here now?

I agree with many others that there is a player in there, but the way Pearson is building his team he wants players that deliver consistently, and therein lies COD’s biggest problem.

P.S. The answer to the question I raised is no!

On 02/10/2021 at 23:42, Davefevs said:

I finally found the clip.

C2B71436-9738-425A-83E9-8D77C5F06895.jpeg

814ED0E9-73D8-45CF-9258-E817C3C9B3E1.jpeg

C337C658-3A80-4BFE-9F55-5057C1A04BB3.jpeg

4798F88B-5828-4DC9-9D98-8AF8A146FDF5.jpeg

D44FD1B7-7FE6-40E2-B10F-F4B643D214B8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

a standard bit of tracking a runner

Standard this season maybe. But how many times have we seen a City player leave a runner and end up chasing after him.
I think COD is decent when it comes to helping a FB, always looking and checking positions. That first pic is a pretty good starting point.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Standard this season maybe. But how many times have we seen a City player leave a runner and end up chasing after him.
I think COD is decent when it comes to helping a FB, always looking and checking positions. That first pic is a pretty good starting point.

I think it’s standard any season ?….if you don’t do it, expect to receive criticism.  It was all there in plain sight….it wasn’t clever movement from Thompson, no swapping of runners / markers, etc.  He did his job.  It’s not a wonderful piece of defending.  If anything he’s allowed Thompson to go from being a yard behind him to half a yard in-front / goal side, necessitating a slide.  But I’ll let him off that! ?

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s standard any season ?….if you don’t do it, expect to receive criticism.  It was all there in plain sight….it wasn’t clever movement from Thompson, no swapping of runners / markers, etc.  He did his job.  It’s not a wonderful piece of defending.  If anything he’s allowed Thompson to go from being a yard behind him to half a yard in-front / goal side, necessitating a slide.  But I’ll let him off that! ?

From what we've watched over that last year and a bit, that's magnificent ?

It is standard to most teams, but previously we have played with narrow FB's and wingers that wouldn't/couldn't track back. It's nice seeing us do basic things, and as I said , I think he does understand his defensive duties.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

From what we've watched over that last year and a bit, that's magnificent ?

It is standard to most teams, but previously we have played with narrow FB's and wingers that wouldn't/couldn't track back. It's nice seeing us do basic things, and as I said , I think he does understand his defensive duties.

Aye….getting the basics right is a good thing. ??