IGNORED

Are we all good with Pearson now?

Top Robin

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

We should all ‘be good’ with Pearson - he’s an established and well respected manager with a three year  project and just 11 games in we’re seeing significant signs of improvement.

Im confident that he’ll get us the PL - but I doubt it’ll be this season tho.

Yes agree with you do feel the premiership serious challenge is a 5 year project 

18 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes agree with you do feel the premiership serious challenge is a 5 year project 

Yep, we're in safe hands and it's the calibre of appointment we, as supporters, have been asking for.

Trust in largish Nige, as long as his illness doesn't temper the man. 

My fear is that his illness may tempt him to walk away from the game earlier than planned.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Distinctly average and slightly shit. Sorry I thought we were in the top half of the table 2 points off playoffs. All this without winning at home. 

We aren’t always pretty but we picked up 3 points today in quite poor conditions with several key players missing. We had 16 shots with 6 on target and 10 corners. If anything we have grown from average to start the season to a formidable side just 11 games in. 

I think I know what you boys meant. Just didn’t agree with the wording. 11 games in we have been better than average is all and imo not slightly shit at all. Feel like this is a team growing into the season. 

And against Millwall in mid-week we had 11 shots with just 1 on target, and we lost. That does not mean we are bad, just as yesterday doesn't mean we're a winning machine. We can all pluck a statistic out of the air if we want.

We're average, we're inconsistent, we're developing. That's OK. Average is not bad, inconsistent means we'll win about as much as we lose, and development is a positive thing.

Honestly, maybe the following helps. I'd say at the moment we are about a 6 out of 10...but the fact that Pearson has got us to that level means he probably gets an overall 9 out of 10. Whilst as a squad we're average, he's been well above average in order to achieve that. Does that make sense?

I'd also say that at this early stage I'm not too concerned about league position or how many points off the playoffs we are. It's the least important indicator of ability right now. Goal difference is a better aspect, and we've got +1 after 11 games...which is distinctly average.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 8

I think we must be the only team in the league where every single one of our games has been decided by one goal or less. That means that whilst we aren’t blowing teams away we also aren’t getting dominated by anyone. We have an extremely competitive team which is all you can ask for after conceding six against Watford in the meekest performance I’ve ever seen last season. The home form will click soon and then we will be pushing on the door of the playoffs hopefully.

• Like 4

For me, we’re now competitive. 
every game this season that hasn’t been a draw, has been within a 1 goal margin, so we don’t capitulate to big defeats (yet- that’ll come) not do we go out and thrash teams (again, that’ll happen) 

But when you look at where we were, and what we put up with, to this….there’s some pride back in that shirt now. 

Nige is in the very early stages of a revamp, and after 11 games he’s got us 16 points, (1.45 ppg)- that’s the progress I want. 

10-15th this season, and then allowing him to add a few more players next summer (he’s already stated Jan window will be very quiet) for us to look better this year. 

for me the “3 year plan” is off to a very solid start. 

Cheers, Nige! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

And against Millwall in mid-week we had 11 shots with just 1 on target, and we lost. That does not mean we are bad, just as yesterday doesn't mean we're a winning machine. We can all pluck a statistic out of the air if we want.

We're average, we're inconsistent, we're developing. That's OK. Average is not bad, inconsistent means we'll win about as much as we lose, and development is a positive thing.

Honestly, maybe the following helps. I'd say at the moment we are about a 6 out of 10...but the fact that Pearson has got us to that level means he probably gets an overall 9 out of 10. Whilst as a squad we're average, he's been well above average in order to achieve that. Does that make sense?

I'd also say that at this early stage I'm not too concerned about league position or how many points off the playoffs we are. It's the least important indicator of ability right now. Goal difference is a better aspect, and we've got +1 after 11 games...which is distinctly average.

We aren’t inconsistent though. We consistently keep teams within reach by not allowing many goals. We consistently create enough chances to score 2-3. It isn’t about stats. As someone who has been to 9 of the 11 league games I can tell you exactly how we will perform. That is consistency. 

You said we are distinctly average. Bentley isn’t average. Kalas and Atkinson aren’t average. Massengo, Williams and James aren’t average. I’d argue we are only average up front but combined with everywhere else, we are better than average so far. Distinctly average without our best player yesterday and without our starting LB and put in a performance like that. By your standards you expect us to be a top half premier league side. I just don’t get it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can see why not all are in the Big Nige camp . When he was appointed I thought fair play to him as the task in hand was massive . Not overly impressed with his little cameo last season as I thought he’d need a pre season under his belt to turn the tide . It’s happening slowly.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

We aren’t inconsistent though. We consistently keep teams within reach by not allowing many goals. We consistently create enough chances to score 2-3. It isn’t about stats. As someone who has been to 9 of the 11 league games I can tell you exactly how we will perform. That is consistency. 

You said we are distinctly average. Bentley isn’t average. Kalas and Atkinson aren’t average. Massengo, Williams and James aren’t average. I’d argue we are only average up front but combined with everywhere else, we are better than average so far. Distinctly average without our best player yesterday and without our starting LB and put in a performance like that. By your standards you expect us to be a top half premier league side. I just don’t get it

I think when we look at our own players we tend to rate them based on their “best” levels and I’m not convinced we level-up across the league, so when we say Kalas is a top Championship defender how wide do we look.  I’m not saying he isn’t, but I think we can be a bit insular.

I think team-wise we are pretty average…lots of players of similar levels, doesn’t make too much difference which eleven is out there bar a couple of players (Bentley one of them).  What we lack is a stellar “forward” player….if I take a team like Stoke, they have Powell AND Vrancic, that’s the difference.  If I look at a team like Brum, they have….nobody stellar.  They have Jutkiewicz but he’s not stellar.

Being average at this stage is fine, we are starting from a poor position (end of last season).  The squad will evolve in the next 12 months.  League position-wise we are doing well.  My expectation was a tough, slow start, Nige building slowly.  To have 16 points from 11 games is great.  I had us on 13 (w3 d4 l4) at this point….gradually improving as the season wore on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We're in a much stronger position as a club now than we were when Pearson took over. Performances have improved massively, we no longer roll over and take a defeat and show some fight - all hypothetical but I doubt 12 months ago we'd have fought for 3 points like we did yesterday. Certainly a lot of work (and recruitment) to do to be a threat to the top 6 but we're on the up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

The thread OP asks if we're happy with Pearson. My answer is yes, because he's taken us from dire to average. 

When I say we are "average" I mean the whole squad, over the course of 11 games. If you pick out individual players then of course some are performing above average and others aren't. Take that as a whole...and we're mediocre.

I like stats, but you brought them into this particular conversation so I'll add a few more. One clean sheet in 11 games. Average shots allowed: 14. QPR shots on target against us? 11. These numbers are just as bad as any positives that you put on the table are good, including your (debatable) claim that "We consistently create enough chances to score 2-3".

Therefore, and again I want to be clear that I am assessing the team as a whole, we are average. Some bits good, some bad.

If you want to interpret my "standards" as expecting a top Premier league style team...well that's the fault of your interpretation rather than my statements.

• Like 6

I thought we would be near the bottom before the season started so am pleasantly surprised by the progress made. City are better to watch and seem to have more about them. 

What bodes well, I feel, is that Atkinson and Tanner look like good signings. Both have gone straight into the side and done well. I was fed up with the Ashton/LJ 'young ones-for-the-future' recruitment where we wasted so much on signings who hardly played. 

I trust Nige will spend whatever is available wisely. It's a bit maddening though  that we waited until we were broke to get someone in who knows how to get value for money. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

35 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I thought we would be near the bottom before the season started so am pleasantly surprised by the progress made. City are better to watch and seem to have more about them. 

What bodes well, I feel, is that Atkinson and Tanner look like good signings. Both have gone straight into the side and done well. I was fed up with the Ashton/LJ 'young ones-for-the-future' recruitment where we wasted so much on signings who hardly played. 

I trust Nige will spend whatever is available wisely. It's a bit maddening though  that we waited until we were broke to get someone in who knows how to get value for money. 

Very good point.

Here’s the minutes played by the new signings.

E1906296-DDD5-4DF2-B66B-AE061D827F44.jpeg.051b5384dff6910dcfdf0c001f6407fa.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Nige is doing well. He is putting in place some basics we have missed for a few years and actually look like a team now. That is not to say we are  where want to be, no, and Nige knows it. But when I think of Scott, Massengo and Williams I am actually thinking what that trio could become as they develop together. We are missing a wide player, you need at least one that can change the dynamic, and of course up front. But we have not yet seen this group play with total confidence and there is a lot still to come from them. If we are where we are now in the league come January, then anything is possible as this group will get better as they learn and develop. As it is we are a mid table side and are probably a team no one now looks forward to playing. We will probably end up top 10 , and that is about where we have been for a a long time. But next season we will be a long way down the road to becoming a play off side. We are not as far off as some think. Great progress, we have gone from inept and disinterested to competitive and cohesive. Next step will be to add a sprinkle of magic dust. 

Atkinson, Dasilva and Pring all 23.  Dasilva starting to look good again too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Atkinson, Dasilva and Pring all 23.  Dasilva starting to look good again too.

I've just watched a full recording of the game having missed it yesterday (flying home from hols....unfortunately).

I was very impressed with Pring, especially first half - if there was a MOM award for just that half, he'd get it from me. I really liked his game. NP has also showed great faith in young players like Scott, Massengo, Conway, and Bell. I really don't think that would have happened previously, they'd have been out on loan for a few seasons.

Also the new players he's brought in are in the team, not out on loan or watching from the stands, no wastage.

Watching the team develop is really good, there'll be the odd hiccup like Millwall where I fancied us to get 3 points, but you don't get 3 points with one shot on target. And there'll be the times where we are outplayed, but the team is developing nicely. Just got to get the monkey off the back re home wins.

I wanted NP in when Holden got the job and I'm really glad he's now here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, King Fox said:

Give him time. He will build a squad, an environment and and backroom to be proud of. There'll be bumps in the road and a few poor performances but stick with it. 

Yours is the result I look for first when our matches finish and it gives me a massive sense of joy when you win.

All the best.

Thanks for the re-assurance KF, for years we have waited the 'right' manager. I believe we have a true pro at the helm now and for the fans to give him time, my generation gave Alan Dicks time and we were rewarded well, even though for a few short years.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Definite difference this season in terms of fitness, work ethic, discipline and shape.

I think the days of us getting turned over heavily are behind us, and if you do beat us it won’t be easy.

It's the shape that strikes me most. We have good shape as a team and are moving as a unit. Again showing how much more together we are 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

It's the shape that strikes me most. We have good shape as a team and are moving as a unit. Again showing how much more together we are 

Agree, the number of attempts on goal yesterday might to some degree be down to playing defensively dubious opponents, but the team being relatively close from back to front, moving more than in the past and having more players comfortable with the ball at their feet, rather than the hot potato of recent seasons, makes a big difference. 

Recruitment looking good given funds available (3 or 4 starters for approx £2m), plus some injury returns and trusting younger players (Pring would probably have ended up on loan to PSG under previous regime) - all good signs.

Lots still to be done, teams often seem to have acres of space and would love Bentley to develop some sweeper-keeper confidence (a couple of incidents yesterday where he could have easily collected in his penalty area, but was glued to his line). But these are minor quibbles, all takes time (thought we looked much better defending set pieces, again maybe they lacked aerial strength, but promising). 

Feels like NP arrived, had a very long list of problems to sort, and is working his way through that list at a decent pace (suspect Richard Gould helping a lot vs previous incumbent), but a long to do list is never going to be completed quickly. Very happy with progress being made. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

What would you think if we’d won 4/5 at home & picked up 4 away draws?

Good question.  I suppose it’s possible that a team could sustain this level of away performance, but I suspect that it’s never been done before and that all successful teams have built on decent home form.  I do accept though that times are changing and that a style of football had emerged that seems to at least partially negate the idea of home advantage - many teams are now winning on the break with less than 40% possession - but not winning a home match for six months is a different kettle of fish.  This is the worst home run in living memory and it has to stop.

As well as the odd stat that we’ve won 4 away and none at home is that every single game has only had a single goal in it or drawn.

I guess that puts us down as one of the more steady clubs, especially as a few others have had big scores for and against lately.

Not good for those who like to leave early though.