IGNORED

Match Report: Soaked, second best but ultimately successful

Olé

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, it’s not our strong suit at the moment, but I still see more goalmouth oohs and ahs than the last season or so.  We may see a slightly different style if Wells starts.

Hey, that’s fair enough.  I just felt their two worldies in the first half gave a bit of a false picture.  They played some nice stuff.  Nige and the coaches do need to look at how they stop getting overloaded.  I felt a couple of weeks ago that Pring played a bit too wide in general defensive play and therefore we were not able to shuffle across to our right quick enough.  Tough to tell on Robinstv if O’Dowda did similar.  I watch other midfield fours (albeit usually PL or international) shuffle across the pitch quicker than us.  Williams and Massengo together with James ought to help that.  QPR playing a 5212 / 3412 with Massengo in behind was always gonna leave us open.  I accept that, for the other benefits it gave us counter-attacking.  But in a basic 442 like yesterday it needs a bit of work.

But ultimately, I find myself being more entertained by this side than the past 2+ seasons.

I’ve no idea on O’Dowda - he couldn’t have been further away from where we were sat first half! You’d have had a better view on Robins TV, however poor that was! 

On the midfield more generally, agree - and that bit of work would be helped by an injury free spell for all our midfielders! 

• Like 1

Just now, italian dave said:

I’ve no idea on O’Dowda - he couldn’t have been further away from where we were sat first half! You’d have had a better view on Robins TV, however poor that was! 

On the midfield more generally, agree - and that bit of work would be helped by an injury free spell for all our midfielders! 

I thought their right sided player Joe Ward was allowed to drift around a lot.  His average passing position on Wyscout was in the centre circle.  Think he made the extra man that allowed Butler to overload our right, their left.  Was glad when he went off.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But ultimately, I find myself being more entertained by this side than the past 2+ seasons.

1000% agree (big percentage!)

And that was such an entertaining game in the round that it's not worth is over analysing it imo

9 hours ago, italian dave said:

I’m going to defend @Olé - and yes I was there.

I thought Peterborough were better than many have given them credit for. I thought they moved the ball well, moved off the ball well, gave us plenty of problems when they were going forward as we struggled to track their runs and to close down space. Both sides had good spells of attacking football, but on the whole theirs seemed to be more prolonged than ours.

All that was mostly the first half though. The weather in the second half changed the game completely and certainly didn’t suit their style of play as well as it did ours. It stopped them making those neat little runs and short passing moves. It suited our style more, or maybe you could say we just coped with it better. 

Likewise, I didn’t think Williams or Martin were that good, certainly nowhere near 8s, first half. The game seemed to pass Williams by much of the time, and a couple of times he lost the ball on a way that would have driven some posters apoplectic if it had been Bakinson. But the worse the conditions got the more they seemed to relish a battle (which is what it became). I would probably rate Martin higher than a 5 just for the 10 minute spell when he played like a man possessed but otherwise wouldn’t argue with many of those scores. 

Overall, my view of the game wasn’t miles away from Ole’s across the whole 90 minutes. I wonder if some people are getting a bit carried away by the barnstorming finish in dreadful conditions. And like Ole I was quite certain that our first goal came from Atkinson!!!

I was also there and maybe I was carried away by a gutsy performance away from home when the team battled and never gave up and won 3 points on the road again. 

• Like 1

To give us our full and proper name, as used by opposition fans,  we are Bristol We Should be Beating These) City.

As @Olé and @Davefevs have said, I’m sure we all want to see City stroking the ball around the park a la Man City. However, I also think we have to accept the reality of the sh1t hand that Pearson was dealt when he took on this job.

It’s a bit like the old joke when a motorist stops a farmer to ask the best way to wherever,  and the farmer replies “ well if I was going there  I wouldn't start from here”. If SL had told Pearson that he wanted a City team to play entertaining, attacking passing football, I suspect that Pearson would have said well I wouldn't start from this position - numerous players out of contract, a shambles on the pitch and demotivated and non-performing and mainly injured players.

However, start from there he had to, and his first step was to bring old hands in that he knew and trusted to bring experience and know how and that would influence the squad, with the right way to do things. Pearson has also put in place his plan, which I’m guessing was initially based on working with what he had, given the financial limitations, with an immediate priority  to change attitudes and mentality. I think that most agree that there has been a noticeable change in attitude, with a team going out showing grit and determination, so that we are no longer the soft touches of last season.

He’s said about Martin that he’s interested in what he can do, not what he can’t and I suspect he’s taken a similar view of other players, so has organised a way of playing that plays to our strengths, i.e. getting players to what they can do and not asking them to do what they can’t. It might not be giving us the sparkling football we ideally want, but it is certainly more effective and has made us a harder team to beat, but I’m hoping that we are currently seeing is only the first step along the road of developing Pearson’s own team, which I reckon will look a lot different, not just in personnel, but in playing style, even though it might take a while to get to that position.

While I never expected things to be as bad as the tale end of last season, I did expect us to be rattling around the bottom end of the table. That we are where we are is perhaps down to some luck along the way but also reflects the huge improvement Pearson has already made, and much quicker than I thought was possible. Now if he can just crack the home win jinx....................... 

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep nothing wrong with going more direct. I think once we get it down in the opposing half we play some good stuff.

No doubt Posh played  some decent football yesterday, but to me it seemed that it created relatively little in terms of clear chances once they got around the edge of our penalty area, apart from their two goals of course! We did make their task easier by standing off and giving them to much time and space in our last third. 

On the other hand, while our build up was more “deliberate” and perhaps more direct, I thought we looked the more threatening team once we got in and around their penalty area and, to my eye, created more and better clear cut chances.

I suspect our attacking play might have been different had we had more pace up front and in midfield to stretch their midfield and defence. It was noticeable how things opened up when Scott came on and started to break tackles and run at their midfield and  back four.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I thought Pring mainly dealt with Ward quite comfortably for most of the time Ward was on. Except that good first half off the ball run where he got on to a long ball over the top.

Pring did ok, was more referring to when he wasn’t being tracked by him.  Even saying that I thought Pring had a tough afternoon defensively.  Then again his first Championship start at LB.

Edited by Davefevs

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Pring did ok, was more referring to when he wasn’t being tracked by him.  Even saying that I thought Pring had a tough afternoon defensively.  Then again his first Championship start at LB.

We all see things differently and I have to say I didn't see it like that at all.

I thought Pring was the pick of the team in the first half and did well in the second half, defensively sound and got forward when he could. 

I like him a lot.

Having said that, I wasn't there and I didn't watch it live, just watched the whole recorded game.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think it was only that run Ward made that Pring was maybe a bit slow reacting to before the 2nd Peterborough goal, and there was quite a bit of play, the ball going back near the half way line as they passed it around before crossing it for Szmodics to head in.

When I said “when he wasn’t being tracked by him”, I didn’t mean Pring wasn’t tracking him, I wasn’t blaming Pring.  I expect players to pass on markers / runners….I don’t expect players to follow their man all over the pitch.  So, I am most definitely not talking about the goal, just generally. Ward drifted into little pockets and had too much time on the ball, especially 15-20 yards infield.  Ward isn’t always Pring’s responsibility.

3E42EE66-AB52-424A-B83F-A3403C0424E9.jpeg.bc1031fc2b00ff6e17f48da726efe9a5.jpeg

EB98F54A-894E-4B4D-A7D4-4A791B451B66.jpeg.5831dd2c37497524a7dd0fb3d359cb26.jpeg

What is also meant was Thompson being able to get forward too.

62F78A23-85F6-4326-AE15-63238DA0C917.jpeg.8b277523fb22243ebfe9657a45d9e987.jpeg

Shit happens, we did the same when Williams got Tanner in, or Pring threaded O’Dowda in….what I’m saying is that if we want to cut down overloads we have to be better in these types of scenario.  We have to put more pressure on the passer and receiver.

• Like 1

@Oléfeel like I’m picking on you….I’m not, honestly.

Finished this last night and thought it was a good example of where being a bit direct, but with purpose / organisation has its merits.  Just posted on twitter if you want to check all 5 pics.

On the flip side what I don’t like about going direct is when Bents kicks long to Martin in a similar position and Kalas, and the midfield are 30-40 yards away.  That’s when we get “strung out” (one of my favourite terms).  That’s when teams pass through us.

I want us to be compact(ish) to have a good chance of picking of any loose balls.

One component of Martin’s aerial play, even if not his strongest suit, is that he tends to flick behind him rather than sideways.  We saw against Blackpool earlier this season that Scott wasn’t quite in synch with his flicks.  Against Peterborough we see Weimann well positioned.

Easy for me to pick out a goal, but if Weimann had controlled, held it up, o think he’d have had good options around him to keep possession and build a different type of attack.

18 hours ago, downendcity said:

To give us our full and proper name, as used by opposition fans,  we are Bristol We Should be Beating These) City.

As @Olé and @Davefevs have said, I’m sure we all want to see City stroking the ball around the park a la Man City. However, I also think we have to accept the reality of the sh1t hand that Pearson was dealt when he took on this job.

It’s a bit like the old joke when a motorist stops a farmer to ask the best way to wherever,  and the farmer replies “ well if I was going there  I wouldn't start from here”. If SL had told Pearson that he wanted a City team to play entertaining, attacking passing football, I suspect that Pearson would have said well I wouldn't start from this position - numerous players out of contract, a shambles on the pitch and demotivated and non-performing and mainly injured players.

However, start from there he had to, and his first step was to bring old hands in that he knew and trusted to bring experience and know how and that would influence the squad, with the right way to do things. Pearson has also put in place his plan, which I’m guessing was initially based on working with what he had, given the financial limitations, with an immediate priority  to change attitudes and mentality. I think that most agree that there has been a noticeable change in attitude, with a team going out showing grit and determination, so that we are no longer the soft touches of last season.

He’s said about Martin that he’s interested in what he can do, not what he can’t and I suspect he’s taken a similar view of other players, so has organised a way of playing that plays to our strengths, i.e. getting players to what they can do and not asking them to do what they can’t. It might not be giving us the sparkling football we ideally want, but it is certainly more effective and has made us a harder team to beat, but I’m hoping that we are currently seeing is only the first step along the road of developing Pearson’s own team, which I reckon will look a lot different, not just in personnel, but in playing style, even though it might take a while to get to that position.

While I never expected things to be as bad as the tale end of last season, I did expect us to be rattling around the bottom end of the table. That we are where we are is perhaps down to some luck along the way but also reflects the huge improvement Pearson has already made, and much quicker than I thought was possible. Now if he can just crack the home win jinx....................... 

Well said @downendcity

It doesn't surprise me at all seeing people have very different opinions on the game: that's football.

You get three main things out of the sport: A)  Joy when your team wins and a togetherness with your fellow fans  B ) The chance to see some silky skills on show - better than you could ever do [NB: this doesn't apply to Gas fans]  C ) The chance to talk about and argue over the game afterwards.

500 fans probably have 500 slightly different takes on the same game, some will be more informed and more tactically literate, sure, but that doesn't mean they are always "right" and other views are always "wrong". In something as complicated and nuanced as a 90 minute football match, there is no definitive opinion on everything. 

I always read Rob's reports because I can't get to many away games for childcare and work reasons. I read them because they are well-written, fair, and they really paint a picture of how he saw the game.

It doesn't mean what he writes is necessarily how I'd see things if I was there. How can I know?  But the reports are - I think - always worth a read and if they spark a debate; hey! That's what football forums are all about!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It doesn't surprise me at all seeing people have very different opinions on the game: that's football.

You get three main things out of the sport: A)  Joy when your team wins and a togetherness with your fellow fans  B ) The chance to see some silky skills on show - better than you could ever do [NB: this doesn't apply to Gas fans]  C ) The chance to talk about and argue over the game afterwards.

500 fans probably have 500 slightly different takes on the same game, some will be more informed and more tactically literate, sure, but that doesn't mean they are always "right" and other views are always "wrong". In something as complicated and nuanced as a 90 minute football match, there is no definitive opinion on everything. 

I always read Rob's reports because I can't get to many away games for childcare and work reasons. I read them because they are well-written, fair, and they really paint a picture of how he saw the game.

It doesn't mean what he writes is necessarily how I'd see things if I was there. How can I know?  But the reports are - I think - always worth a read and if they spark a debate; hey! That's what football forums are all about!

Spot on RR.  A few of us this season have proved (in our own heads anyway!!) that sometimes it depends of where you sit in the ground.  The Vyner debate v Luton (I think) pretty much saw the Dolman’ers view it a poor 1st half performance whereas the Landown’ers (me) thought he was ok, but we were further away (cue Father Ted cow sketch).  That’s the beauty of it.  On Saturday you’ve got the added dynamic of “being there” v “Robinstv”.

Whether you happen to agree with Rob or whoever, he certainly paints a great picture of the game and atmosphere for those who weren’t able to travel.  I like the edge he gives too, and on OSIB.

One of these days I’d love to have a pint with him.  There’s quite a few others I’d like to too.

On an aside the other week I found out I sit two seats away from someone who we both spend a lot of time tweeting each other.  It was one of those moments where someone says something, and all of a sudden you think - you’re “so and so” on twitter aren’t you?

it’s what brings me back here every day.

• Thanks 1