IGNORED

Watford

Bristol Rob

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

2 promotions to the Premier League, 1 automatic the other via the play-offs.

2 other play-off appearances.

An FA Cup final.

2 FA Cup semi-finals.

A League Cup semi-final.

That's what Watford FC has achieved since our current owner became chairman/majority shareholder in 2002. 

Some people talk the talk, others just get on and do it. 

If you really want, you can add a further spell of top flight football if you go back to the time our owner first joined as a director in 1996.

Yes, the way they hire and fire managers is bizarre, and they've sailed close to financial ruin too, but on the field they've achieved far, far more in the last 20 years than we have.  

I say this a lot about Brentford, some teams do it differently from others & copying it simply wouldn’t work.

They have undoubtedly been far more successful than us, this works for them, I doubt it would for us.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I say this a lot about Brentford, some teams do it differently from others & copying it simply wouldn’t work.

They have undoubtedly been far more successful than us, this works for them, I doubt it would for us.

Indeed, I wouldn't want us to change managers every 5 minutes like Watford.

But they've found a way to actually achieve something while Lansdown, at City for 25 years and counting, has implemented more duff ideas than good ones. 

• Like 2

An FA Cup final.

2 FA Cup semi-finals.

A League Cup semi-final.

That's what Watford FC has achieved since our current owner became chairman/majority shareholder in 2002. 

If you really want, you can add a further spell of top flight football if you go back to the time our owner first joined as a director in 1996.

Yes, the way they hire and fire managers is bizarre, and they've sailed close to financial ruin too, but on the field they've achieved far, far more in the last 20 years than we have.  

They must also benefit from having a catchment of London players which is attractive to a 24yr old with loads of cash to burn.  Either on the way up or on the way down.  

An FA Cup final.

2 FA Cup semi-finals.

A League Cup semi-final.

They must also benefit from having a catchment of London players which is attractive to a 24yr old with loads of cash to burn.  Either on the way up or on the way down.  

An FA Cup final.

2 FA Cup semi-finals.

A League Cup semi-final.

Just now, fishy said:

Bristol isn't Timbuktu! Please don't find excuses for our chronic under achievement. 

If the people who've been in charge of our club down the years had been any cop, and if there were more Bristolians like you and me who gave a toss about their local teams, we wouldn't be having this conversation. When you get down to the brass tacks of it, location has little to do with it. 

We haven't been run well enough since the year dot and there aren't enough of us to kick up a stink about that and demand better. End of. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Bristol isn't Timbuktu! Please don't find excuses for our chronic under achievement. 

If the people who've been in charge of our club down the years had been any cop, and if there were more Bristolians like you and me who gave a toss about their local teams, we wouldn't be having this conversation. When you get down to the brass tacks of it, location has little to do with it. 

We haven't been run well enough since the year dot and there aren't enough of us to kick up a stink about that and demand better. End of. 

I feel you're more passionate about this debate than I.  I hadn't attributed it to any under achievement, but was merely pointing out if we were in a bidding war for the same players then Watford's location would trump ours.  I still think that true. 

55 minutes ago, fishy said:

I feel you're more passionate about this debate than I.  I hadn't attributed it to any under achievement, but was merely pointing out if we were in a bidding war for the same players then Watford's location would trump ours.  I still think that true. 

That doesnt explain the relative success of Norwich, Swansea, Bournemouth etc who are all pretty much out in the sticks. I don't think location makes one jot of difference to a player joining. Money on offer is the only thing these guys take into account. 

5 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

That doesnt explain the relative success of Norwich, Swansea, Bournemouth etc who are all pretty much out in the sticks. I don't think location makes one jot of difference to a player joining. Money on offer is the only thing these guys take into account. 

Add Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Newcastle to that too, proper grim up there .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Add Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Newcastle to that too, proper grim up there .

You are joking aren't you, Newcastle is a lovely city that beats bristol in just about everything! The coastline all the way along is absolutely stunning with lots of regenerated coastal towns.

Its way for us southerners to say it's grim up there, but really it's not!

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

36 minutes ago, frenchred said:

You are joking aren't you, Newcastle is a lovely city that beats bristol in just about everything! The coastline all the way along is absolutely stunning with lots of regenerated coastal towns.

Ok maybe I was a bit over the top about Newcastle but Middlesbrough and Sunderland are pretty much like bigger versions of yate before it was redeveloped.

Easy for people to say look at what they've managed with those sackings, but put another way.

They came down and had parachute payments, they then got players on the cheap from other clubs owned by the Pozzo family to get promoted again.

They've then had parachute payments each time they've come down again since.

Is it really a surprise they've been up and down so often?

In fact it's arguable that had they had some stability they could have got up and got themselves established like a Brighton. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Agree about Newcastle, fantastic city.

However; there are many more grim places up north to take their place, Leeds, Sheffield, Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton to name just a few.

2 hours ago, fishy said:

No , Watford’s footballing success would outdo the pros and cons of location. 

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Went to Newcastle for the first time recently - I was hugely disappointed. Quite nice around the riverside, otherwise, meh.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

So you think we wouldn't be a yo-yo club if we ever achieve this much talked-about, but highly elusive, promotion to the Premier League???

I'd bite your hand off for a bit of yo-yo action!

Bangkok 1980s. You had to be there. I wasn't. 

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Agree about Newcastle, fantastic city.

However; there are many more grim places up north to take their place, Leeds, Sheffield, Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton to name just a few.

I'll give you Blackburn and Burnley, don't know about Bolton, but Leeds and Sheffield are ok imo (especially Sheffield).

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Helps when you can have udinese pay good fees for players or take players on loan to reduce your wage bill while taking players from them cheaply. 

Then perhaps Steve needs another football club somewhere overseas with whom he can get around some of the many obstacles to success he appears to find insurmountable. 

Get rid of the rugby club - who's he going to buy or sell from/to Bris rugby (actually, Bakes/Joe Joyce swap deal, that might work ....)

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Who do we copy, though? We have to copy someone (getting it right). Steve has referenced Norwich (can see us copying them in the Prem, were we ever to get there) and Burnley. It's not like Steve's going to bring an original or unique approach to all this, or come up with an idea that works that no-one has previously thought of or implemented successfully.

We need to copy someone. Who is it to be?