IGNORED

Andy Cole on Jacki Dziekanowski

foghornred

Just read Andy Coles Autobiography Fast Forward and in it he says that he enjoyed his time at City but going through the players he picked out Jacki, he said that he was a one off.What a player.He was loved at Celtic , and was equally as popular at City. HE WAS ONE OFTHE MOST SKILFUL PLAYERSTHAT I EVER PLAYED WITH. He would flick the ballover peoples heads for fun.If Jacki could have stayed sober,he could have been anything.The big Polish forwardhad a real problem with drink, and not a few many beers ;vodka.We loved him, though.

This is a player who has played with Cantona,saying that he was one of the most skilful players,we were lucky to have him grace our pitch.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I have never understood why so many consider Jackl to be some kind of legend. 

No doubt he about his skills but he was a lazy bugger who scored a massive 7 goals for City. Osman left him out one game and announced that ‘a few tricks and a 30yrd shot isn’t enough’

A maverick carried by the rest of the team.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 3

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No doubt he about his skills but he was a lazy bugger who scored a massive goals for City. Osman left him out one game and announced that ‘a few tricks and a 30yrd shot isn’t enough’

The same reason why people remember players like Emmanuel-Thomas, Adomah, Trundle, etc with fond memories. Being a club that sits between the 2nd and 3rd division we mostly have players with no magic quality that can get you off your seat or do something that you'd go into school or work the next day and talk about.

For every maverick we've had, we've had 15 players who just run about and 30 players that can hardly kick the ball straight.

Not sure why it's too hard to understand but the majority of your 38,000 posts have been pretty awful so I guess it's possible.

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Why was he called Jacki when his name is Dariusz?

Say the first part of his last name.

• Like 12
  • Flames 2

10 minutes ago, grifty said:

The same reason why people remember players like Emmanuel-Thomas, Adomah, Trundle, etc with fond memories. Being a club that sits between the 2nd and 3rd division we mostly have players with no magic quality that can get you off your seat or do something that you'd go into school or work the next day and talk about.

For every maverick we've had, we've had 15 players who just run about and 30 players that can hardly kick the ball straight.

Not sure why it's too hard to understand but the majority of your 38,000 posts have been pretty awful so I guess it's possible.

Scot Murray was as skilled as Jacki and scored many more goals - he’s the one player who filled AG with anticipation when he got the ball. He was truly exciting to watch and yet barely get a mention on here.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No doubt he about his skills but he was a lazy bugger who scored a massive 7 goals for City. Osman left him out one game and announced that ‘a few tricks and a 30yrd shot isn’t enough’

We don’t agree on much, but this, every day of the week.

Absolute myth, he had about 5 good games for us.

Watched him on several occasions stand around for 90 minutes & contribute absolutely nothing, especially in a 4-0 hammering at Twerton.

Probably the most overrated player in the club’s history, I’m convinced many of those who rave on about him never saw him play.

As for the comparison with Adomah, truly hilarious, Albert never stopped working for the team, Dziekanowski never started.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

download.jpeg.e561636d1f1f7775272da0ee989da9c9.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Scot Murray was as skilled as Jacki and scored many more goals - he’s the one player who filled AG with anticipation when he got the ball. He was truly exciting to watch and yet barely get a mention on here.

Scott never gets a mention? Of course he does, I often hear people talking about the old Tinman Murray connection, especially in the build up to Cardiff games.

Jacki was an enigma, which is why people loved him. Murray is arguably one of our better players ever and has not been forgotten.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Amazing, isn’t it? 10 minutes and two posts for a thread entitled “Andy Cole on Jacki Dziekanowski” to become “Robbored on Jacki Dziekanowski”. 

I posted my honest opinion on Jacki. GrahamC summed him up far better than I did.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

As for the comparison with Adomah, truly hilarious, Albert never stopped working for the team, Dziekanowski never started.

I wasn't comparing Adomahs and Jackis work rate or value to the team, but the fact that they would get you off your seat when they had the ball because they had special ability to beat a man or do some skill that you would talk about down the pub that evening.

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jacki Dziekanowski 62 caps for Poland, 20 goals.

Scott Murray 1 cap for Scotland 'B'.

At his peak, Jacki was in a different league to Scott. He wasn't at his peak when he was at City though.

The 'Jacki' name is an alliteration on his surname which is pronounced "Jackanowski". Same as 'Ozzy' Osbourne.

Edited by fgrsimon
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Most skillfully footballer to ever Don the red an white osman got rid because jacki was into his wife 

Just now, RobintheRed Red said:

Most skillfull footballer to ever Don the red an white osman got rid because jacki was into his wife 

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We don’t agree on much, but this, every day of the week.

Absolute myth, he had about 5 good games for us.

Watched him on several occasions stand around for 90 minutes & contribute absolutely nothing, especially in a 4-0 hammering at Twerton.

Probably the most overrated player in the club’s history, I’m convinced many of those who rave on about him never saw him play.

He was a Maverick very lazy, not a team player.  But skill wise he was head and shoulders over any player we have has since.

We have had plenty of players that get stuck in for the team, unfortunately I rarely mention any of them and some I have completely forgotten.  But a pisshead lazy slacker still lives with me.  why?  Outrageous skill, its what I paid to go and watch, not many players I can say that about, even if it was only momentary flashes of brilliance.

I am fully aware of all his limits, but that is not why I loved the bloke, it was the fleeting pure genius bit of play that are etched in my memory.

Maverick Genius, hence we are still talking about him now, good or bad.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Say what you like. I must of saw maybe 100 players plus that have played for us since that wouldn't  be for to tie his boot laces

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Most skillfully footballer to ever Don the red an white osman got rid because jacki was into his wife 

I’m not questioning Jacki’s skills - I’m simply pointing out that he was a lazy bugger who scored 7 goals for City. The team carried him.

• Like 1

@Robbored, The Mona Lisa is a dull painting of a fairly ordinary bint with no eyebrows. It doesn't stop millions of people flocking to see it and some to declare it a masterpiece.

Jacki was fantastic on his day. He's probably one of the reasons why I'm still going to games 30 years later. A brief shining light for sure and sod all use when you're a goal down in the pouring rain on a cold Tuesday night in November.

Sod it though, I loved his skill then and I still love it now.

As for Osman, he was happy with the exciting likes of Ian Brown, Henry Mckop, Rodney McAree, Colin Loss and Scott Paterson. Ooooooh thrilling. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 4
  • Robin 1

24 minutes ago, TRL said:

He was a Maverick very lazy, not a team player.  But skill wise he was head and shoulders over any player we have has since.

We have had plenty of players that get stuck in for the team, unfortunately I rarely mention any of them and some I have completely forgotten.  But a pisshead lazy slacker still lives with me.  why?  Outrageous skill, its what I paid to go and watch, not many players I can say that about, even if it was only momentary flashes of brilliance.

I am fully aware of all his limits, but that is not why I loved the bloke, it was the fleeting pure genius bit of play that are etched in my memory.

Maverick Genius, hence we are still talking about him now, good or bad.

He was just before my time. Was he really head and shoulders in terms of ability above the likes of Noble, JET and Tomlin? All three had incredible natural ability but also never delivered on a regular basis. I feel the highlights reel from those three may exceed Jacki, but could well be wrong. 

Interested to know your opinion.... 

59 minutes ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Oh dear, really?  I would disagree and remind those who may read this reply, what John Motson said of Jacki when playing for us at Leicester City in a midweek televised game, which we won with style. Motty said, ºJacki Dziekanowski comes from another Country, but tonight he is playing like he is from another planetº Jacki as Andy Cole said, was a one off.

He is also a kind man who, when us fans organized Gerry Gows testimonial game, he gladly accepted the invitation to fly back to play to Bristol from Warsaw. I must  tell you that when I collected him from the Airport to my surprise, he had come armed with a suitcase full of tee shirts that he had designed and had made in Poland before flying, so that we could auction them at the game in order to help us to raise funds for a young Bristol boy who required an operation in the US to assist his Cystic Fibrosis, it was a kind gesture. Jacki was an exciting footballer, sadly we had few of those over the years, he was also one with a good heart. 

Like many on here I'm sure, I was at that FA Cup game at Leicester, and Jacki was simply mesmeric - skated across the pitch like he had blades on his boots, head and shoulders above anything on the pitch that day and Motty called it right. It was a privilege to be there and witness that performance, individually and as a team. Even now, watching on highlights on youtube makes me proud to say - I was there.

And as for the Gerry Gow testimonial, just to sing one more time - 'We've got a Polish international'....

Thanks for the memories Jacki......

• Like 8
  • Robin 1