IGNORED

Andy Cole on Jacki Dziekanowski

foghornred

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Scot Murray was as skilled as Jacki and scored many more goals - he’s the one player who filled AG with anticipation when he got the ball. He was truly exciting to watch and yet barely get a mention on here.

Big fan of Scotty the player & on a personal note, but not even close to Jacki in terms of skill. This guy played in a World Cup & scored goals in a European competition. He is what kids go and watch football for, he’s the one they want to emulate in the playground. Yes we had him after his peak in someways, but when someone of Cole’s stature says that he’s one of the most skilled players he ever played, maybe he might be onto something. Players like that are very few & far in between, but I’m glad I got to watch him. COYR 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was just before my time. Was he really head and shoulders in terms of ability above the likes of Noble, JET and Tomlin? All three had incredible natural ability but also never delivered on a regular basis. I feel the highlights reel from those three may exceed Jacki, but could well be wrong. 

Interested to know your opinion.... 

not my question to answer but having seen all 3, a damn good one and one to think about. i didnt see the leicester game but think although they were all different,Jet gets it for me purely on the length of time he put the effort in and his penalties

Cole and Dziekanowski were the reason I fell in love with City. Still to this day two of our best ever players.

Sure they won nothing, weren’t part of successful teams or anything; but the football they could produce was just incredible. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Like many on here I'm sure, I was at that FA Cup game at Leicester, and Jacki was simply mesmeric - skated across the pitch like he had blades on his boots, head and shoulders above anything on the pitch that day and Motty called it right. It was a privilege to be there and witness that performance, individually and as a team. Even now, watching on highlights on youtube makes me proud to say - I was there.

And as for the Gerry Gow testimonial, just to sing one more time - 'We've got a Polish international'....

Thanks for the memories Jacki......

And it was a Saturday not midweek game as mentioned on a previous post. The only reason the Beeb broadcasted this match was because their main game had been postponed earlier in the day. The beeb knew they could set up quickly at Filbert Street so made a dash to get there.

Don't forget that this was the game where BBC Bristol announced early morning that our game had been called off due to a waterlogged pitch (or frozen, I can't remember) only for them to announce 30 mins later they had been misinformed. This has been covered before on otib.

Just now, Norn Iron said:

And it was a Saturday not midweek game as mentioned on a previous post. The only reason the Beeb broadcasted this match was because their main game had been postponed earlier in the day. The beeb knew they could set up quickly at Filbert Street so made a dash to get there.

Don't forget that this was the game where BBC Bristol announced early morning that our game had been called off due to a waterlogged pitch (or frozen, I can't remember) only for them to announce 30 mins later they had been misinformed. This has been covered before on otib.

Ps I was there!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was just before my time. Was he really head and shoulders in terms of ability above the likes of Noble, JET and Tomlin? All three had incredible natural ability but also never delivered on a regular basis. I feel the highlights reel from those three may exceed Jacki, but could well be wrong. 

I would say he was ahead of all 3 that you have mentioned. His balance, touch & vision were above anything I’ve seen in a City shirt, but I accept consistency was his problem. But on their day, him & Cole were unplayable. We saw him on his way down in some ways, but before us he played in a World Cup, scored goals in European competition. His well documented off field habits are what held him back imo. Im fairly sure when he was with us Aston Villa were having a look, but nothing ever came of it obviously. My favourite player of all time, so might be a bit biased! COYR 

Edited by Simon79
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, I think so. These guys were good, Jacki for me was far more aware of things going around him and had that natural first touch you can't teach. He was also quite slow and not exactly athletic, but his ability to get away from an appointment through pure skill was something to behold. And you have to remember he was playing at a time when a two footed challenge from behind was quite acceptable, where as the others you mention didn't have to worry about that so much. As a flair player up until about 95, you had to have something about you that many today don't have (not their fault, it's a different era) that said strikers and flair players of bygone era had it tougher, but I wasn't around to witness that!

• Like 1

In the early 90’s we played Forest away in an FA cup tie, we lost 4-1. I believe Jacki was playing that day and Cole.

The best player by a mile was from Teddy Sherringham and I’d say that’s the best player I’ve seen live ever from that day 

Famously Cole and Teddy never got on - I’d imagine that’s an interesting read in his book

1 minute ago, Rossi the Robin said:

In the early 90’s we played Forest away in an FA cup tie, we lost 4-1. I believe Jacki was playing that day and Cole.

The best player by a mile was from Teddy Sherringham and I’d say that’s the best player I’ve seen live ever from that day 

Famously Cole and Teddy never got on - I’d imagine that’s an interesting read in his book

I remember him bagging a hattrick against us playing for Millwall. Good player. I think Collymore for forest might have been better imo. He tore us a new one!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TRL said:

I remember him bagging a hattrick against us playing for Millwall. Good player. I think Collymore for forest might have been better imo. He tore us a new one!

Top notch. Was wondering if Cole mentioned him in the same light as Jacki, who for the record, have some amazing memories - will always remember some of that magic 

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think that one thing about Jacki was that he played for us at at time when the skills he showed seemed more of a rarity. It felt new and different. Yes he was lazy and a passenger in some games, but I loved him and some of his play was a joy to watch, even just fleeting moments of skill. 

The fact that he was an experienced Polish international suggests he was better than the likes of JET, but in his time at City (when he was presumably past his best) I’d say he was on a par with JET, Tomlin (the loan version) etc in terms of his ability to wow fans. Although JET was more productive and scored more goals  

Players like that are what memories are made of. Noble was lacking in fitness, but we all remember that goal at Palace. JET could be frustrating, but we remember that goal v the fewers and the way he took penalties. Tomlin’s attitude stank once he signed permanently, which sours things, but that goal v Huddersfield (I think) when he flicked the ball over their defender was sublime. And I include Scotty Murray in this category of player too, there was no better sight than him bombing down the wing after latching onto a pass from Tinman. Also as far back as Mark Gavin, who in that promotion season looked like he had the ball tied to his boots and would torment defenders. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Top notch. Was wondering if Cole mentioned him in the same light as Jacki, who for the record, have some amazing memories - will always remember some of that magic 

I haven’t read the book, but Cole hates Sheringham for blanking him when coming on as a sub for England, I'm not sure if I have ever heard any praise from Cole about him other than he was a talented player.

• Like 1

Anecdote, I remember jacki out on the wing, I can't remember who the opponent was but I clearly remember him saying "you might as we give me the ball now, you're shit" and then taking the piss out of the the player waltzing around him time and time again until the player was subbed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

not my question to answer but having seen all 3, a damn good one and one to think about. i didnt see the leicester game but think although they were all different,Jet gets it for me purely on the length of time he put the effort in and his penalties

JET was one of the single laziest players to play for City. Produced something good 1 in 5 games the rest just wandered around. 

Myth in the championship 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I am sure DD is a decent bloke but I felt he took the piss out of the club I love by only turning it on when he could be bothered.

I am also sure that he had problems off field which stopped him from being focussed and we’re not well managed by the hierarchy at Ashton Gate.

Little Bristol City was beneath him and for the odd moment of sheer brilliance the rest was embarrassing and frustrating .
I would prefer a team who give their all for the cause than a team of talented individuals who believe the game is all about them. 

DD was as good as George Best but Best, even with his demons, gave more back to the fans who adored him.

I hope he has overcome his personal issues and can live in peace with himself and those around him. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

We don’t agree on much, but this, every day of the week.

Absolute myth, he had about 5 good games for us.

Watched him on several occasions stand around for 90 minutes & contribute absolutely nothing, especially in a 4-0 hammering at Twerton.

Probably the most overrated player in the club’s history, I’m convinced many of those who rave on about him never saw him play.

As for the comparison with Adomah, truly hilarious, Albert never stopped working for the team, Dziekanowski never started.

I would say that, to follow Bristol City, myth is pretty vital. The reality is somewhat grey, and disappointing. And Russell Osman.

Allow your imagination to run free a little, every now and again ....

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

I have never understood why so many consider Jackl to be some kind of legend. 

No doubt he about his skills but he was a lazy bugger who scored a massive 7 goals for City. Osman left him out one game and announced that ‘a few tricks and a 30yrd shot isn’t enough’

A maverick carried by the rest of the team.

I get your points Robbored but I for one loved Jacki playing for us .A joy to watch 

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

I have never understood why so many consider Jackl to be some kind of legend. 

No doubt he about his skills but he was a lazy bugger who scored a massive 7 goals for City. Osman left him out one game and announced that ‘a few tricks and a 30yrd shot isn’t enough’

A maverick carried by the rest of the team.

It's easy to pick Jackie's game apart for what he didn't do - that doesn't make you clever, insightful or interesting...! 

Those of us who loved his presence here, appreciated what he could do. 

Skills like you rarely find anywhere, from an international player, regarded as a great player by a huge club like Celtic. Referred to on MOTD as being from a different planet.... 

When Jackie turned it on, it was something special. That's what we enjoyed having. 

He didn't reach his potential, due mainly to drink - if he had, he'd never have played for us. 

I love him, for what he did/could do and can happily ignore his shortcomings. 

• Like 6

Each entitled to your own opinion and who i am i to argue?

However i remember a league cup first round tie against Cardiff. In those days you would play a home and away Leg. We had played Cardiff away and lost 1-0 but in the return leg we put them to the sword and IIRC beat them 5-1 with Jacki and Andrew Cole on fire on a great Tuesday night that still lives long in the memory.

Funny thing is i can't remember another first round league cup tie so fondly which is the point Jacki was an entertainer but i accept some supporters won't share that opinion

Edited by Barry Sheene
spelling
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

He single handedly kept us with any hope of survival in 2013/14.

In the championship?! Don’t think so!

People forget the levels that players play for us at. JET v Jacki isn’t even a debate. Jacki wasn’t here for long but he lit up the championship and fans loved him for it. Kids especially.  JET was good in league one. 

If Jacki had played league one football he would have looked insanely good!

Edited by And Its Smith