IGNORED

Andy Cole on Jacki Dziekanowski

foghornred

On 05/10/2021 at 15:51, The Gasbuster said:

I always think of the first game the following season, City v Portsmouth.

An incredible game that ended 3-3. We were brilliant going forward with Cole and Jacki, but utter dogshit at the back.

Fights breaking out everywhere that day. Boiling hot weather. Classic game 

On 06/10/2021 at 15:45, GrahamC said:

Look, we’re never going to agree, we have been arguing about this on & off since 1993.

I’m glad he brought you happiness, I just find the idolatry for someone who contributed so very little just baffling.

Personally I think Bob was moved on because Lumsden was struggling (well, completely out of his depth) & any decent manager might have looked at the root cause of his form, not gone for a superficial, short term fix replacement instead. Lumsden’s own possible grief to me should have made him more sympathetic to Bob, not less.

But as I said at the outset this all is pretty much pointless, we just see it completely differently & as the intervening 28 years have shown, aren’t ever going to see it the same way.

Cristiano Ronaldo (whatever we think of him, he’s a pretty decent footballer) once said “talent without working hard is nothing”, & for one I certainly can’t argue with that.

I think the element of "banter" and teasing and devil's advocate is being lost here. My opinion on DD is not what it was in 1993. Looking back on August '92, we had copies to shift and putting DD on the cover shifted copies (more than 3,000, iirc). This might've coloured opinion at the time! 

My point is lots of people liked the idea that Dziekanowski played for their club (like they once did Norman Hunter and Joe Jordan, and still would now even if they had not been the success they were), making do with the rare flashes of brilliance produced; that for many people football is about more than the pure objective. 8,500 paid to watch Osman's team of triers finish higher in the table than the ultimately disappointing  DD/Cole team that drew more than 11,000.